Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,129 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm sure you've seen a few of these before, but I'd appreciate all the advice I can get.

Me and my family moved around a lot when I was younger, but spent A LOT of time in Colorado, specifically around Denver and sometimes Colorado Springs. I've decided to start making plans to move out there and continue building my life. I've done a little research on the cities, but I was hoping you guys could help me narrow down my research list.

Me and my SO are in our mid-twenties and we both work in the tech/computer industry, so somewhere with at least a few good corporate companies would be nice. I would love a city that was 'green'(meaning environmentally conscious, not marijuana conscious lol) and had a lot of local grown produce and farmer's markets. Hiking and canoeing would be something that we would love to get into. In terms of city life, I honestly don't want to live or commute into Denver because of the horrendous traffic. A lot of traffic (45min+ commute) is the one thing I definitely do not want. I don't need A LOT to do in the city and night life isn't important to me, but I'd at least like some yoga studios, farmer's markets, a few decent restaurants/diners, and maybe some community events or fairs. We are not religious either. We would prefer an area with a smaller number of children if at all possible, although this wouldn't be a deal breaker or anything. Our rent range for an apartment is max $1500/mo, both one and two bedrooms are totally fine.

So I guess the small town vibe is what I'm aiming for, it's just the job part that worries me. I know that not wanting to be in Denver automatically severely limits my options, but I seriously just don't to deal with the traffic and busyness of the area in general. I've been told that Loveland is a good area for what I'm looking for, as well as possibly Boulder and Broomfield.

Any advice you have at all is very welcome. I appreciate it a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 02:11 AM

238 posts, read 696,115 times
Boulder, the Denver Tech Center (not in downtown), and Colorado Springs (defense-related) are the main tech hubs that you may want to focus your search on although none of these areas really have that small town feel.

Best to try and see if at least one of you can secure a job in advance although it would be advantageous to both look for jobs to make sure you can get employment in the same general area. For example, it just wouldn't work if one of you got a job in Boulder and the other in Co Springs, especially with your traffic concerns. If you're searching for employment with a large firm, you might even be able to come check out the area on the company's dime if they fly you out to interview with them.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2015, 08:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I really like the small town feel of 'old-town' / central / non-suburb' Loveland.

There are a surprising number of tech jobs there, as many skilled workers who left HP, IBM, and Kodak started companies.
I would DIG deep to find a good job in FoCo, Loveland, Greeley, or Longmont. Competition is stiff, but good jobs are possible. Consider the larger operations nearby (Walmart, US Foods, and Budweiser distribution centers). Costco is coming and is a VERY good employer, 3+ medical centers. Hach Labs, ...

I biked to work while 'high tech employed' in the above cities.

Rents are not cheap. Buy a duplex / 4 plex and have some help paying your mortgage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado