Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,295 times

Advertisements

need input pros and cons for retired couple move ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 07:47 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,396,143 times
I know it well. A fine place, I guess, IF you bring money and income with you. The real estate market is cheaper than many areas of Colorado, but has inflated greatly in the last few years. You could be buying at the top of a market.

Exclusive of the lower initial housing costs, most living costs are as high or higher than Colorado's metro areas. Food, fuel, etc. are generally more expensive.

The general climate of the area is drier than the Front Range, with less snow (in most places) than Denver or its environs. It is generally hotter and drier in the summer than the Front Range areas. 100 degrees plus happens every summer. In winter, it often gets colder at night than the Front Range. If an inversion sets in (which happens fairly frequently in winter), it can stay cold for days. It's not Arizona.

You had better like the outdoors for hobbies, because that is the main thing that is available. "Culture" usually means going somewhere else. Its bucolic, rural atmosphere is being devoured by rural sprawl and subdivisions. The orchard industry there, one of the area's big calling cards, has been in serious decline for over a decade and probably will largely disappear in the next 10-20 years if current trends continue. A farmer friend there says, "Ag is dead in this county--we just haven't had the funeral yet."

The area is not crime-free. Delta itself has a gang problem. I have family who live in a nice neighborhood right in Delta. I have seen gang-tagging less than a block from their house. I personally lived in the area for a number years, and was the victim of property crime there on several occasions.

Medical care is a mixed bag. There is a new hospital, and financially it is in pretty good shape. There is more specialized medical care available in Delta than there used to be. Still, specialized medical care may mean going to Grand Junction (and I personally am not fond of the St. Mary's hospital system there), or going to the Front Range--a long miserable trip when it must be made on a regular or frequent basis (been there, done that). I know several retired people who moved to Delta and later had to move back to Front Range areas or Salt Lake City when their medical needs outgrew the local medical system's abilities.

I still have a number of friends in that area and it does have some strong points, but it is not the "paradise" that the chamber-of-commerce types like to paint it to be--but, what places are? It is not the really friendly community it used to be because so many people have relatively recently moved there from elsewhere. Like so many rural Colorado areas, growth is overwhelming it, and a lot of the people moving in are bringing their "big city" attitudes and expectations with them.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:21 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,707,297 times
Default Different view of Delta

Once again, I think I view this area differently than Jazzlover. Delta has a great little downtown--you can eat, shop, buy groceries, bank, even get home furnishings and a haircut all on mainstreet. If you want larger shopping, you are 20 mins to Montrose and a half hour to Grand Junction. Delta has two or three newer motels for guests, is close to the regional airports, and has a great community recreation center with classes, a very wonderful swimming pool, and lots of community support. It has arts and music groups come through for special events, and has an excellent public radio station.

The weather has two drawbacks---it gets windy I think esp spring and fall, and the wind brings smoke in the fall from ranchers burning ditch weeds. At times, the wind brings grass seed which if you are allergic to grass can be troublesome. It is not a "mild" climate in that it gets hotter and colder than 40 degrees and 90 degrees.

If you want the mountains you are 45 mins or less. If you want the desert, same thing. If you want to live in town, I don't know if there are any condo developments--but lots of smaller houses. If you are a big house on a ranchette type, it will cost you because most have been built in the last decade.

As for crime--like anywhere, if you leave your front door open and your car unlocked, you might get robbed once every ten years. There is very little crime other than property theft and the types of stuff that social services deals with everywhere. In fact, it is so dull in places like Delta that is why the small papers report crime like it's big news.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:38 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,396,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Once again, I think I view this area differently than Jazzlover. Delta has a great little downtown--you can eat, shop, buy groceries, bank, even get home furnishings and a haircut all on mainstreet. If you want larger shopping, you are 20 mins to Montrose and a half hour to Grand Junction. Delta has two or three newer motels for guests, is close to the regional airports, and has a great community recreation center with classes, a very wonderful swimming pool, and lots of community support. It has arts and music groups come through for special events, and has an excellent public radio station.

The weather has two drawbacks---it gets windy I think esp spring and fall, and the wind brings smoke in the fall from ranchers burning ditch weeds. At times, the wind brings grass seed which if you are allergic to grass can be troublesome. It is not a "mild" climate in that it gets hotter and colder than 40 degrees and 90 degrees.

If you want the mountains you are 45 mins or less. If you want the desert, same thing. If you want to live in town, I don't know if there are any condo developments--but lots of smaller houses. If you are a big house on a ranchette type, it will cost you because most have been built in the last decade.

As for crime--like anywhere, if you leave your front door open and your car unlocked, you might get robbed once every ten years. There is very little crime other than property theft and the types of stuff that social services deals with everywhere. In fact, it is so dull in places like Delta that is why the small papers report crime like it's big news.
I wouldn't disagree with most of the positives quoted here, with the exception of the last paragraph. Crime IS a growing problem in Delta. I have lived in that area, and I have family that has been there for over three decades. Some good friends of mine are third and fourth generation there. No, it's certainly not like the "hood" in East LA, or even in parts of Aurora or Denver, but it does have some problems. And, by the way, thirty years ago you COULD leave your keys in your car and your doors unlocked in places like Delta and not be worried a bit. Too bad those days are gone.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:42 PM

63 posts, read 333,419 times
Default Crime..

It is everywhere but not so much in Delta ..both Montrose and Delta will be adding to their Police force with many new officers.
Compared to the big City ..it is night and day.

Delta is a fine town ..with prices much less than in areas around it.

HM

Old 08-31-2008, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,579 times
Default Offered a job in Delta

What is the home rental situation like there? I'm looking to be up there in a couple of weeks, (hopefully) and I'll be looking for an apartment. Not really crazy about apartments, would really like to find a "caretakers house" type of place. I am a musician and apts are just not real tolerable for musicians. I have no pets, I do smoke, but am trying to quit. I just want something comfortable, not really into the "Glitz" scene, so if there is someone who could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
Thank You,
Mark R
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado