U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:04 PM

9,448 posts, read 18,367,813 times

Advertisements

Every time I visit the state, whether its a little mountain town or in Denver I always see a lot of dogs. Is there something about Colorado that makes it so compatible for dogs and dog owners? Is it my imagination or does it seem like Colorado has a higher ratio of households with dogs? The best state for man's best friend perhaps? I tried to dig up some data, though I couldn't find much, my observations seem consistent every time I'm up there. Perhaps as a dog owner I'm more inclined to notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 03:46 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,078,165 times
I don't have any numbers to back it up, but I would venture to say that CO has a higher ratio of households with dogs than most states. Though, it may also seem that way because there's a general tolerance for dogs in most situations, from trails to beer gardens- and a disproportionate number of people in the state are into those activities. Best state for dog lovers? Yeah, I could see that. Even several of our cat loving friends in the state have switched to being dog people over time....

Old 06-26-2015, 06:41 AM

3,187 posts, read 7,080,033 times
Not sure if we have more dogs, but I think we include our dogs in more activities so you see more dogs outside the home. I pretty sure mine thinks that it's a great place to be a dog.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:55 AM

666 posts, read 1,044,374 times
I've always thought of CO as a dog state. I'd love to see some numbers comparing registered dogs in every state. That of course is just the ones registered, but it should give you some idea.

I know I'm a dog nut. The "lab" part of my name is for labrador.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:10 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,405,586 times
I'd have to say "yes" to the question. There were a lot of dogs in my previous location, but CO seems even more extreme. People even bring their dogs along with them, into stores, etc. It's quite annoying, with seemingly no regard to others as to allergies, shedding of hair, dog phobias, etc. And although owners are legally supposed to clean up after their dogs, I rarely see that happening.

Having dogs also seems to be a status symbol, and a superficial way of 'keeping up with the Jones'. Kind of a "Look at us. We are Colorado" (wink). Some people act as though they have to have a dog; like it's expected or something. There are dogs (and of course the mandatory and sacred Barbeque Grill!) on three sides of us. At least the four-leggers are usually quiet. It better stay that way...

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 06-26-2015 at 08:48 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 08:57 AM

8,927 posts, read 13,692,932 times
It seems to - also, more apartments are pet friendly. I think CO is such an outdoorsy place that it's ideal for dog owners. I think people who like to be outdoors and enjoy nature (which CO is ideal for) also tend to be people who love dogs. So it all goes hand-in-hand.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:49 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,405,586 times
I don't know... My previous location was just as "outdoorsy", but minus the palpible impulse to "have a dog".

Old 06-26-2015, 10:33 AM

958 posts, read 801,237 times
"People even bring their dogs along with them, into stores, etc"

Yes, dog worship is getting out of control. I love dogs, but am getting pretty sick of the modern dog owner. Particularly annoying is the new trend of people with NO health issues exploiting ADA laws to get their animals declared "service animals" just so they can bring them wherever they want. A lot of it seems to stem from people without kids who have decided their dog IS their kid, and therefore should be able to bring them wherever anyone else would bring a kid. If your dog can't handle being alone for a couple hours at home, it's time for a) dog training or b) a new dog.

Also, people flagrantly evading leash laws. A lot of them are self-professed environmentalists... yet completely ignore studies on the impact of dogs on wild environments. They just pick and choose the eco laws they wish to follow based on their own whims and pseudoscience. Just yesterday, a guy with an offleash dog yelled to me "he's friendly". So friendly, he rushed up on me to get pet and kicked me in the nuts with his paw! Not blaming the dog, but the owners are getting ridiculous in their entitlement in public spaces.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:09 PM

808 posts, read 432,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
"People even bring their dogs along with them, into stores, etc"

Yes, dog worship is getting out of control. I love dogs, but am getting pretty sick of the modern dog owner. Particularly annoying is the new trend of people with NO health issues exploiting ADA laws to get their animals declared "service animals" just so they can bring them wherever they want. A lot of it seems to stem from people without kids who have decided their dog IS their kid, and therefore should be able to bring them wherever anyone else would bring a kid. If your dog can't handle being alone for a couple hours at home, it's time for a) dog training or b) a new dog.

Also, people flagrantly evading leash laws. A lot of them are self-professed environmentalists... yet completely ignore studies on the impact of dogs on wild environments. They just pick and choose the eco laws they wish to follow based on their own whims and pseudoscience. Just yesterday, a guy with an offleash dog yelled to me "he's friendly". So friendly, he rushed up on me to get pet and kicked me in the nuts with his paw! Not blaming the dog, but the owners are getting ridiculous in their entitlement in public spaces.
Yes, I would agree with you. I've had a few terrifying experiences with dogs, and dog owners really need to respect other people's right to not have contact with their dog when out in public. I would venture to say most dogs in public are probably fine, but I strongly prefer not to have close contact with any unfamiliar dogs when I'm hiking, walking, restaurants, parks, etc. It can be frightening. It used to really anger me when my kids were young and an unfamiliar dog would run up to them at a park, and the owner would yell, 'it's okay!'

Old 06-26-2015, 12:51 PM

958 posts, read 801,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Yes, I would agree with you. I've had a few terrifying experiences with dogs, and dog owners really need to respect other people's right to not have contact with their dog when out in public. I would venture to say most dogs in public are probably fine, but I strongly prefer not to have close contact with any unfamiliar dogs when I'm hiking, walking, restaurants, parks, etc. It can be frightening. It used to really anger me when my kids were young and an unfamiliar dog would run up to them at a park, and the owner would yell, 'it's okay!'
Yeah, thanks for reminding me there are sane folks on earth! When I saw a reply to my comment, I was braced for the "why do you hate dogs" diversion argument, as if that was the issue. That is the usual tack in such debates. I LOVE dogs and have owned several in my life. However, it never ONCE occurred to me that I had a "right" to take them to a restaurant or a "right" to have them offleash in areas of environmental concern. There are millions of responsible dog owners in this country, my scorn is NOT for them or any of the dogs. It's for the scofflaws.

And yes I've been through the "It's OK" scenario more times than I can count. Usually it is "OK", until it's not, like the other day, when I found myself doubled over in the woods with searing pain in my testicles.

Owners: Keep them ON-Leash and there is no worrying for anyone if everything's "OK". Or if your dog needs more offleash time, buy a house with a big yard. One place I lived, there WAS an offleash park... that was often empty and surrounded by people roaming with offleash dogs outside of the park. They just didn't like the "aesthetics" or something. Jesus, people, GROW UP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or