Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:21 AM

65 posts, read 79,565 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm new here. My Mom's family; (siblings, aunts, uncles, etc...), all come from the Pieance Creek, (still can't find the proper spelling for that), Glenwood Springs and Rifle area. Mostly Rifle. Most of them are buried in the Rifle cemetery. I spent many summers, winters, and in between in Rifle, or just outside of it, when I was growing up. My aunt lives in Parachute.

My husband and I are retired, now. He is 65 and I'm 60. We're in pretty good shape. Last time we were out there, was a few years ago, and the sight of the freeway was a shock. I remember the 6 highway going through and being able to climb out of Grandpa's old truck and go down to the river...almost touch it, then.

Anyway...I'm wanting to move back there. What is the medical like there? How is the highway and the freeway in winter? Yes, I know I can ask my Aunt, and no offense to her and my Uncle, but I would like other opinions from people who live around there. There is also concern about prices and taxes. I do keep tabs, online, with different websites, regarding real estate, etc.

I've always liked the area around Rifle. I was out there when the curtain was hung across Rifle Gap by Christo. Grandpa had some choice words...Grandma's were a little more polite. I learned how to ride a horse on the mesa. Learned hard work on his farm. I beg your pardon, I'm waxing nostalgic.

My mother passed away in March, and my husband and I have been thinking where we want to live. Away from the noise and crowds of the city. But, there's been a large influx of people in Colorado.

How is Rifle now? Any input or suggestions would be great. Thank you!

Last edited by Suzee8; 08-20-2015 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 11:12 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,946,114 times
I was there in February. I like the area too. There was a brand new medical center across from WalMart and a new Holiday Inn or similar next door.

I like it being anout 45 min from Aspen, but less snow. The fraking concerns me though.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:14 AM

Yes...I know about the fracking. My Grandfather had involvement in the oil shale many years ago, and got out of it. Thank you for reminding me about it. I need to track that.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:19 AM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
Piceance Creek on my map.

Hospital district has been adding staff, facilities and patients pretty rapidly according to the news.

The further north you go, the quieter and less "new" it might be. Depending on how quiet you like it, you might even consider Rio Blanco or Meeker (new small hospital).

Old 08-20-2015, 11:50 AM

I have been looking at Meeker a little. And, Minturn. Any input would be great on both. And, thank you for the correct spelling of Piceance...I always seem to leave out the C.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:13 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzee8 View Post
I have been looking at Meeker a little.

Not a lot of amenities here, a pretty isolated town. You'll likely need to be traveling for a lot of your supplies and medical requirements in the future.

And, Minturn.

Skyrocketing costs of living as the Vail explosion expands downvalley, but good access to the amenities of the area, outdoor recreation, and close access to Vail's attractions. Worth moving here only if those characteristics are of value to you.

Any input would be great on both. And, thank you for the correct spelling of Piceance...I always seem to leave out the C.
from the perspective of a long term Vail homeowner and as one who has traveled/camped the region of Colorado you're looking at here. We were through Meeker several times in the last month, and it's a nice valley area in the summer months ... but relatively isolated in the wintertime. Other than the dog trials which we will return to this fall, I don't see much in the area unless you're into a remote farming/ranching lifestyle. There's simply not much there there.

While it's wonderful to see Meeker's Pioneer Medical Center expanding it's range of services and e-care, one has to appreciate that it's still a very small facility with a limited offering of that wide range. Appreciate that it's still a small town small scale medical resource and you may yet need to depend upon major care from out of the area. Rifle, by comparison, has access to a larger medical community in Grand Junction. That access difference may play a huge difference in the capabilities and quality of care you receive when needed in the future. Minturn has access to the Vail facilities and isn't too far away from the major Denver complex of health care under 2 hours away.

Last edited by sunsprit; 08-20-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 02:29 PM

Thank you. I appreciate your information. We're both trying to get as much information as possible before we take another trip out there.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:07 PM

Sunsprit...thank you for your WY post. I did respond.

I just heard from my Aunt and from what she and one cousin are telling me...my view is a little too old. And there is some concern about the financial ramifications of the fracking and results. Her words. This may be a very short thread. I'm going to go back over things and look at facts and comparisons, again.

Perhaps Colorado is not the place for us to live, but a good one to visit with relatives, right now.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:11 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default Pedantic Nerd Alert

City of Rifle. Rifle, CO - Official Website | Official Website
Not town.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the reminder, Dave. I got into the habit of calling it a "town", about 50 years ago. My grandmother would always say..."We have to go into town." 😀
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado