U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2015, 01:49 PM
 
13,664 posts, read 13,435,450 times
Reputation: 39670

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Maybe "we" are people who are worried that Colorado Springs' mega-churches will produce more nut-jobs (allegedly) like Ted Haggard, Douglas Bruce, or Gordon Klingenschmitt.

I, on the other hand, am not so concerned about radical evangelicals as a whole. There are plenty of folks on the religious right that send their kids to their charter schools and go on about their productive lives. If I don't relate to them I just stay out of their way and/or vote with my feet.

If we're talking about secularism in this thread, I've always considered the more populated places to be this way and the more rural places to be less so. Plenty of areas and less populated counties of Colorado reflect this and although they don't pack the voting power of the bluish red Front Range Corridor, they still represent Colorado.

I'm not mad bro, I'm just trying to point out that I'm not here to proselytize anyone and will also not tolerate the same for me personally from those of radical atheistic persuasion.



Gaslighting.



Gaslighting, again.

Radical Atheists are so cute. They think they're good debaters.



Many Catholics.
Gaslighting is when someone tells you something that's patently true isn't. Paranoia is when you think people are attacking you when they aren't.

If you've got research that contradicts the research I presented, please present it. I'd love to see it. I find that stuff fascinating. (Which is why I started the thread.) But if you're just feeling persecuted because you're uncomfortable with the topic or you disagree with me simply because I'm an atheist, you don't have to participate in the thread.

 
Old 08-25-2015, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,178,507 times
Reputation: 10428
I've read not too long ago that some polygamist cult people have set up shop somewhere around Westcliffe, CO. The "polygs" seem to like remote areas of the West where they can fly under the legal radar. Hopefully this isn't a trend.
 
Old 08-25-2015, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,995 posts, read 11,621,533 times
Reputation: 5579
It's just demographics. Young people of all stripes are moving to Colorado, that is, those that are not moving to Portland, Oregon. Those transplants are not driven by religion.
 
Old 08-25-2015, 02:24 PM
 
Location: South Austin, 78745
2,934 posts, read 2,088,354 times
Reputation: 5007
A lot of non-religious people got turned off to organized religion because of bad experiences they had with self-righteous, holier-than-thou religionists in the church.
 
Old 08-25-2015, 02:35 PM
 
629 posts, read 887,857 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've read not too long ago that some polygamist cult people have set up shop somewhere around Westcliffe, CO. The "polygs" seem to like remote areas of the West where they can fly under the legal radar. Hopefully this isn't a trend.
Just Google "polygamist cult Westcliffe" and several articles come up (from 2008):
Sheriff investigates Mormon polygamists in Westcliffe | The Colorado Independent
Westcliffe & the FLDS
From Polygamist Group Seeks Safe Haven In Colorado
Now the polygamist group the FLDS or Church of Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints has quietly purchased at least eight properties in Colorado. Two of the properties are near Mancos in Montezuma County in southwest Colorado, another near Crawford in Delta County and five near Westcliffe in Custer and Fremont counties.



 
Old 08-25-2015, 02:50 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,463 posts, read 22,301,271 times
Reputation: 13783
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Why are you so angry?

Oh, I'm not angry at all.

Just because you start a thread that Colorado is Unreligious doesn't make it so.

You can take all of your research and do as you like.

I've lived in Colorado for about 39 years and have made observations based on my personal experiences and they just don't align with the basic claims of the thread.

Sort of reminds me of the recent accusation you made about me being angry.

Now you're leaning towards inviting me to leave your thread. Hope you don't think that's paranoia on my part.

Oh but before I go, could you tell me how many years that you've lived vacationed or done business in Colorado?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
A lot of non-religious people got turned off to organized religion because of bad experiences they had with self-righteous, holier-than-thou religionists in the church.
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It's just demographics. Young people of all stripes are moving to Colorado, that is, those that are not moving to Portland, Oregon. Those transplants are not driven by religion.
... and this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Gaslighting is when someone tells you something that's patently true isn't.
No, not the context I was using.

Quote:
Gaslighting is a form of mental abuse in which information is twisted or spun, selectively omitted to favor the abuser, or false information is presented with the intent of making victims doubt their own memory, perception, and sanity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Considering that "religion" is man's attempt at defining God/higher power, and "spirituality" is the direct communication between man and God/higher power, CO is a less "religious" state than others, and that's a good thing.

Religion depends on man to do the interpreting, and requires man (as the middle man) to define and explain God/higher power. Spirituality leaves out other people in the interpreting (and tampering) role.

Areas and states with a tendency towards weaker thinking and following the crowd will veer more towards religion/religiousity. States with more intellect and thinking independently will tend to be more spiritual. CO would be in latter category, and that's a plus.

In visible terms, religion thrives in buildings and man-made structures (such as church buildings) designated and assigned by man. Spirituality requires no fixed location, and doesn't depend on anything man-made. Think about it, where would God choose to be: in a man-made building that cuts people off from one another, cut off from nature/his creations, and collecting lots of hot air and CO2 emissions from man, or.... in an environment free of that stuff and surrounded by things he has made? Those without religion can answer the question easily. For those blinded by religion, the question might be alien and insurmountable.
I like your perspective. I have a problem with organized religion personally. I don't think it's all bad. I try to be quick to "point out where religious people are right, and make use of what they offer". I try to see religion for what it is, that thing that has given hope and direction to billions, but to also separate Truth from doctrine.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-25-2015 at 03:12 PM..
 
Old 08-25-2015, 03:20 PM
 
13,664 posts, read 13,435,450 times
Reputation: 39670
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Oh, I'm not angry at all.

Just because you start a thread that Colorado is Unreligious doesn't make it so.

You can take all of your research and do as you like.

I've lived in Colorado for about 39 years and have made observations based on my personal experiences and they just don't align with the basic claims of the thread.

Sort of reminds me of the recent accusation you made about me being angry.

Now you're leaning towards inviting me to leave your thread. Hope you don't think that's paranoia on my part.

Oh but before I go, could you tell me how many years that you've lived vacationed or done business in Colorado?


This.


... and this.



No, not the context I was using.
It's not MY thread. I just started it. You seem upset by it and declared it stupid, so I'm wondering why you're sticking around to basically insult people and apparently do some baiting of your own. Just sayin'.

So far you've labeled atheism a religion (I'm indifferent on that subject personally), dismissed the thread as stupid and baiting, and generally been scornful of every post. Yet you haven't contributed anything about your personal experience or why you think the stats are wrong or right, but I've learned a lot by reading the thread regarding how other people regard the state and reasons that could lay behind those two studies. I had no idea the FLDS was moving into the state either.

I've lived here 4 years and been a homeowner here for 2. I'm here to stay. I've found that there's a wide spectrum of belief and unbelief here. I've definitely had more people knocking on my door to share their religious beliefs - Baptists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons - than I had back in Jersey. But even my strongly Born-Again friends don't go to church with any regularity. I feel that Colorado's lack of religion is more an aversion to organized religion that has something to do with its strong libertarian leanings (though that's also likely what makes it appeal to the FLDS).

So what HAS your personal experience been? Because all we know is that you're "spiritual" but have a thing about radical atheists, but we don't know really much else.
 
Old 08-25-2015, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,178,507 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It's not MY thread. I just started it. You seem upset by it and declared it stupid, so I'm wondering why you're sticking around to basically insult people and apparently do some baiting of your own. Just sayin'.

So far you've labeled atheism a religion (I'm indifferent on that subject personally), dismissed the thread as stupid and baiting, and generally been scornful of every post. Yet you haven't contributed anything about your personal experience or why you think the stats are wrong or right, but I've learned a lot by reading the thread regarding how other people regard the state and reasons that could lay behind those two studies. I had no idea the FLDS was moving into the state either.

I've lived here 4 years and been a homeowner here for 2. I'm here to stay. I've found that there's a wide spectrum of belief and unbelief here. I've definitely had more people knocking on my door to share their religious beliefs - Baptists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons - than I had back in Jersey. But even my strongly Born-Again friends don't go to church with any regularity. I feel that Colorado's lack of religion is more an aversion to organized religion that has something to do with its strong libertarian leanings (though that's also likely what makes it appeal to the FLDS).

So what HAS your personal experience been? Because all we know is that you're "spiritual" but have a thing about radical atheists, but we don't know really much else.
My personal experience has been that in my Denver neighborhood, people aren't very religious. I'm very social and know many neighbors, and by far, most do not attend or belong to any church or religious organization. Of course I can't get into their heads and see if they're "spiritual" or not. And of the people I know who do go to church, they don't discuss it, and most are of the open/liberal Christianity brand. But I'm not going to equate that to the entire state. There are evangelical churches out in the 'burbs. And I'm sure the rural areas are more religious. But then again, CO doesn't feel like the Bible Belt where it's assumed that people are of similar religious minds.
 
Old 08-25-2015, 03:43 PM
 
20,812 posts, read 38,988,898 times
Reputation: 18999
sorry folks, but this thread has broken down to the point that it no longer has any value, so I'm closing it.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top