U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 09:15 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,605,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I've lived in Orlando and San Diego and have traveled to many more places.

Colorado, especially Pueblo, is more like the goldi lox climate. Not as hot in the summer as the southwest and southeast as we have highs from 95-105 but with breaks and the nights cool off with mountain breezes and low humidity. Then we are not as cold as the upper Midwest and northeast in the winter and they get a lot more snow. Plus we never get hurricanes, well we had one but by the time it got here it was a mild rsin event, and no earthquakes. In my opinion I can't honestly think of any place that has better weather.
Pueblo has the advantage of being a step warmer and almost comparable to a Vegas with a more mountainous climate. But it is hotter for people who don't like the heat and it will get into the negatives in the winter for all the Arizona sun birds that can't handle a winter. The big downside to Pueblo IMO is the catcus/bush land surrounding it just isn't as pretty as the more grassy land to the north. Pueblo does have the prettiest mountains within a short distance out of any place in CO though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I grew up in Phoenix and lived in Tucson for 8 years during college.

Arizona weather is nice from mid November through March. After that it's too hot to be outside. It can be over 100 deg at midnight during the summer.

But Colorado weather is nice from mid March through mid November. When it's too cold in January you can go outside with a down coat. In Arizona, when it's too hot you can take off everything and it's still too hot.

And I do enjoy the many fewer bugs here in Colorado. In Arizona, we had mean critters: Scorpions, rattlesnakes, tarantulas etc.

The ideal would be to have a place both in Tucson and in Colorado Springs and migrate during November and March.
Lol, I know older people that do that. I think CO loses its beauty after the leaves drop. Oct-Jan are the worst months unless a big storm hits in Oct, which it sometimes does.

We have rattlers east of the Springs though, a lot. Visit any of the junkyards east on hwy 94 I believe it is and it's sort of like a creepy snake museum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I studied geography and weather for about a year before I moved to Colorado. There is nothing remotely like these weather patterns along the east coast or the Midwest. I'm going for a walk in this beautiful morning air because it is late August, 69 degrees (just checked) and the sun is just barely up. This sounds like a perfect morning for a walk. (Most mornings are)
No, those places aren't similar to here, they just have similar amounts of positives and drawbacks. The only places similar (not in the Rockies) would be southern Argentina, Central Asia (the stans, west China, Mongolia), and maybe the Urals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
'sigh'
and here I am in the East with a/c on due to 99 percent humidity (and no rain). Happily, planning my visit to Colorado!
I can tell you 100 F days with single digit humidity is just as awful feeling (and then a fire breaks out...). The last two years have been beautiful here. If I could repeat this year over and over, I would. The previous 12 not so much. We haven't had those 100 days here this summer, but they are kind of normal other years. And its a weird feeling when it doesn't precipitate from mid Sept all the way to December. Like less than 1 inch. That is not rare either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 09:21 AM

6,509 posts, read 10,147,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I can tell you 100 F days with single digit humidity is just as awful feeling (and then a fire breaks out...). The last two years have been beautiful here. If I could repeat this year over and over, I would. The previous 12 not so much.
And I can tell you from personal experience that 100 degrees with 35-45% humidity is a helluva lot more uncomfortable than a 100 degree day along the Front Range. Step into the shade on a triple digit day in Dallas and it'll still be miserable, but here the shade brings real relief.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
And I can tell you from personal experience that 100 degrees with 35-45% humidity is a helluva lot more uncomfortable than a 100 degree day along the Front Range. Step into the shade on a triple digit day in Dallas and it'll still be miserable, but here the shade brings real relief.
Maybe if your out sitting in the weather or going for a walk the dry air is nicer, but working in it, I would prefer the humid days in the 90s over the dry. Dry air can beat you up, wet air just makes you sweat more which when your already sweating isn't that bad.

But it's probably a personal preference thing that depends on how peoples bodies function.

And 70 F is much more beautiful with 60% humidity than 8%.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:31 AM

12,170 posts, read 20,920,900 times
Quote:
Pueblo has the advantage of being a step warmer and almost comparable to a Vegas with a more mountainous climate. But it is hotter for people who don't like the heat and it will get into the negatives in the winter for all the Arizona sun birds that can't handle a winter. The big downside to Pueblo IMO is the catcus/bush land surrounding it just isn't as pretty as the more grassy land to the north. Pueblo does have the prettiest mountains within a short distance out of any place in CO though.

My point was if you compare Pueblo to the nation we are in the middle of the extremes. The southwest and southeast get much hotter then us in the summer, even Chicago and Minneapolis, New York and Boston are hotter and more humid, and the upper Midwest and northeast get much colder in the winter. Does Pueblo get hot in the summer and cold in the winter? Sure but not as extreme or the duration last nearly as long. Also we get a lot of sunshine. I am currently counting cloudy days to get a total and in August so far we have 0 cloudy days and July only had 2. One more reason I prefer the weather here.

Looks wise for the county is objective and personal. I like it but if you want a lush forest Pueblo is not for you. That being said it was ranked good compared to the nations county's and I agree with that.

You are correct on the mountains by Pueblo.

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-22-2015 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-22-2015, 11:16 AM

825 posts, read 1,597,656 times
Phil, not to disagree, but... No, strike that. Actually to disagree almost totally! To disagree, that is, except with your caveat that different people like different weather; that could not be more truly stated.

I'm here because of the climate. The weather suits me probably 45 weeks out of the year. There are four to six weeks in the spring when there are occasional periods of bad weather, but I am up in Teller County where the all time record high temperature is 86. I am guessing that when you say "Colorado" you actually mean "Denver". It is silly to lump together Denver along with Burlington, Dinosaur, Leadville, Ouray, et al., under a single rubric "Colorado Weather".

Low humidity? Great.
No smells? Butterscotch? BUTTERSCOTCH!!!?? What is that fresh pine scent I smell everywhere? There is the smell of the prairie, the mown hay in the valleys, the crops along the Arkansas river (often not pleasant, but still...), the forests of Doug fir, the Ponderosa Pine, the juniper to which I am so allergic, even the distinctive smell of bare rock in the high country.
UV exposure? I wear long sleeves, long pants, and a hat (not a cap) 365 days a year. For decades.
Long winters? I love our winters. We get (relatively) little snow, it is pretty while it lasts, and the sun shines some almost everyday. I frequently work outdoors in January with just a pair of work pants and a cotton shirt. In many ways December and January are my favorite months up here. I would like Denver winters much, much less. Maybe not at all.
Rain is cold? Gott im Himmel! Don't you know enough to come in out of the rain? People have died from hypothermia in Florida!!
Awful for plants? Not the native plants.
Tornadoes? Yes, on the eastern plains they are much to be feared - from there all way through Ohio. But from the edge of the front range westward the occasional tornado is but a weak sister to those throughout the Midwest.
Hail? Ok, pretty nasty, that. I continue to be amazed it is even possible to purchase insurance for roofs.

I know only too well Midwestern climates from Missouri to Michigan, and except for a few days in October there is not a single hour of weather I would trade for that up here.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:57 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,279,240 times
105 F to 110 F 1%-15% humidity > 85 F to 90 F 50%-100% humidity

Old 08-23-2015, 07:16 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,919,122 times
Quote:
No, those places aren't similar to here, they just have similar amounts of positives and drawbacks. The only places similar (not in the Rockies) would be southern Argentina, Central Asia (the stans, west China, Mongolia), and maybe the Urals.
I appreciate that you did your homework. However, if we are simply going for the number of positives and drawbacks, couldn't we use several comparisons since we only need to match numbers? Perhaps compare to frozen yogurt or to eating more vegetables?

For instance everyone knows vegetables are good for you, so that is one positive. However brussel sprouts are terrible and should never be tasted, so that is one drawback. I'm sure if I had a goal for the positive and negative numbers I could get there...

Yes, I'm intentionally making this difficult because comparing on the number of positives and the number of drawbacks rather than comparing on the significance and the nature of those features seems a little silly.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
My point was if you compare Pueblo to the nation we are in the middle of the extremes. The southwest and southeast get much hotter then us in the summer, even Chicago and Minneapolis, New York and Boston are hotter and more humid, and the upper Midwest and northeast get much colder in the winter. Does Pueblo get hot in the summer and cold in the winter? Sure but not as extreme or the duration last nearly as long. Also we get a lot of sunshine. I am currently counting cloudy days to get a total and in August so far we have 0 cloudy days and July only had 2. One more reason I prefer the weather here.

Looks wise for the county is objective and personal. I like it but if you want a lush forest Pueblo is not for you. That being said it was ranked good compared to the nations county's and I agree with that.

You are correct on the mountains by Pueblo.
I see Pueblo as a good place for someone who wants it warmer for a retirement, but still wants a some seasonal variation and doesn't like it wet. I think NM is similar, like Albuquerque, correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Phil, not to disagree, but... No, strike that. Actually to disagree almost totally! To disagree, that is, except with your caveat that different people like different weather; that could not be more truly stated.

I'm here because of the climate. The weather suits me probably 45 weeks out of the year. There are four to six weeks in the spring when there are occasional periods of bad weather, but I am up in Teller County where the all time record high temperature is 86. I am guessing that when you say "Colorado" you actually mean "Denver". It is silly to lump together Denver along with Burlington, Dinosaur, Leadville, Ouray, et al., under a single rubric "Colorado Weather".

Low humidity? Great.
No smells? Butterscotch? BUTTERSCOTCH!!!?? What is that fresh pine scent I smell everywhere? There is the smell of the prairie, the mown hay in the valleys, the crops along the Arkansas river (often not pleasant, but still...), the forests of Doug fir, the Ponderosa Pine, the juniper to which I am so allergic, even the distinctive smell of bare rock in the high country.
UV exposure? I wear long sleeves, long pants, and a hat (not a cap) 365 days a year. For decades.
Long winters? I love our winters. We get (relatively) little snow, it is pretty while it lasts, and the sun shines some almost everyday. I frequently work outdoors in January with just a pair of work pants and a cotton shirt. In many ways December and January are my favorite months up here. I would like Denver winters much, much less. Maybe not at all.
Rain is cold? Gott im Himmel! Don't you know enough to come in out of the rain? People have died from hypothermia in Florida!!
Awful for plants? Not the native plants.
Tornadoes? Yes, on the eastern plains they are much to be feared - from there all way through Ohio. But from the edge of the front range westward the occasional tornado is but a weak sister to those throughout the Midwest.
Hail? Ok, pretty nasty, that. I continue to be amazed it is even possible to purchase insurance for roofs.

I know only too well Midwestern climates from Missouri to Michigan, and except for a few days in October there is not a single hour of weather I would trade for that up here.
Go up to a ponderosa pine, stick your nose in the bark, and smell it. Butterscotch . You seem like a person who was meant for this area though (which I find there are a lot of people who migrate here because they were looking for something like what we have).

Being active in the rain can be fun, if it's a tropical rain that's nice and warm. I hiked for a fair distance in Costa Rica in a rainstorm and it was rather neat.

But like right now its about 40 F outside and that is just cold for summer. I never liked camping that much in CO because it would get down into the 30's at night and I have a hard time sleeping in the cold (I'm fine sleeping in 88F though, which others seem to have issues with).

And our native plants just aren't as cool as other states. A praire in Missouri is much pretty and has sexier grass than Eastern CO's. A pine forest in Wisconsin is prettier than one in CO...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
105 F to 110 F 1%-15% humidity > 85 F to 90 F 50%-100% humidity
I firmly disagree here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I appreciate that you did your homework. However, if we are simply going for the number of positives and drawbacks, couldn't we use several comparisons since we only need to match numbers? Perhaps compare to frozen yogurt or to eating more vegetables?

For instance everyone knows vegetables are good for you, so that is one positive. However brussel sprouts are terrible and should never be tasted, so that is one drawback. I'm sure if I had a goal for the positive and negative numbers I could get there...

Yes, I'm intentionally making this difficult because comparing on the number of positives and the number of drawbacks rather than comparing on the significance and the nature of those features seems a little silly.
I know it's subjective, but there are generally areas which have crappy climates (Fairbanks, Alice Springs AU) and areas which have excellent climates (Southern France, California, Gold Coast, Costa Rica...) Colorado seems to fall in the pretty decent class, along with the other areas I mentioned.

The thing is, people from CO will look at you crosseyed if you say you might prefer it in another area. How can you beat perfect?!? is what they seem to be implying. Meh, it's not perfect. It's nice, but a lot of areas actually are pretty nice.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:35 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,382,644 times
I'd agree somewhat with points 3 and 5, and heavily agree with 4. The winters do seem long, or rather, it is the faded "winter look" that lingers. It doesn't really fully green up until about May, and starts to taper off in Sept/Oct. So the winter look tends to dominate over the summer, short fall, and very short spring.

Although the UV intensity should be good for plants (I've never had any issue with it beyond that), the dryness makes for lots of watering. The dryness is personally the biggest issue. Although it makes for great comfort, it is hard on a respiratory system used to decades of high humidity (as in my case). Still trying various "engineering" tactics to counteract it.

In the end though, newcomers and long-time residents will probably see the weather from much different angles.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:51 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,235,057 times
Quote:
A praire in Missouri is much pretty and has sexier grass than Eastern CO's.
.....sexy grass.....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado