U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 09:09 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,605,617 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming most people have heard of the benefits of Colorado's weather. I concur that there are times when Colorado's weather is really nice. But here are some issues I have with the weather in Colorado:

1. The UV intensity is for real. I would say as a rough estimate, people burn 2x as quick out here as they do in other places, and even faster than that at high altitude and with snow. Colorado has a bad rate for skin cancer. Also, sunburns make you wrinkled and really just don't feel good. Working landscaping for a few summers I would love those overcast, misty days so much. The sun really gets too intense if you are out in it all day long. Even when putting on sunscreen twice a day, I still felt funky at the end of the day.

2. No smells. Most places, unless your by a stream or a wetland, don't really smell like much at all. There's kind of a dusty dry needle smell and the pine trees smell like butterscotch. There's no fresh dirt smell or the smells that lakes and meadows in the eastern US will give.

3. Awful for plants. Colorado's weather is so erratic, the frost dates are so late, the nights are so cool, and the climate is so dry that really not much grows out here. Also the warm winters are really hard on a lot of plants (harder than cold winters actually). It has to be one of the toughest states to garden or landscape in. And the forests and wilderness's aren't really that pretty from a micro perspective, when looking at the 100 sq ft around you. Not much plant variety and thinks don't rot so the deadwood is REALLY thick in any sort of national forest or wilderness. Also many people give up on trying to have nice lawns after living here for a while.

4. Dry air. Sure humidity can get on peoples nerves, but dry air can be just as annoying. Skin will crack and get flaky. Also whenever I get up in the middle of the night, I have to get a drink of water. When I worked landscaping or did strenuous activity outside, it was hard on your lungs and throat to be dried out so much, even with drinking water. As a combo of the of the dry air and sun intensity, I often get this weird feeling of being hot and cold at the same time when I'm outside for an extended period of time. The sun is so intense that it gets hot in it directly, but it gets really chilly when the wind blows or when you step in the shade.

5. Winter is really long. The time where the grass is brown and the leaves are off the trees and its not unlikely to snow is about the same as areas like northern Wisconsin; from about the beginning of Oct. to the end of May, with some plants not coming online till June. Also the time when ski season is nice is pretty short, like Feb-mid April, so about 2.5 months. It's more often than not a somewhat crappy before then, unless a big storm hits, so there's a long time where it's still not summer but it's not really snow season either.

Also the rain is really cold (it's never fun to stand out in the rain here), it hails a lot, and we are on the edge of the US tornado zone. There have been several funnel clouds in the Denver area this summer.

I would not say Colorado's weather is hands down better than the rest of the US. Obviously some people will prefer Colorado's weather to other places and other people will prefer the other places weather over Colorado's, but I think it's kind of comparable to places like the east cost, the southern great lakes area, central Midwest, and gulf coast regions as far as benefits and drawbacks.

Last edited by Phil P; 08-21-2015 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 09:43 PM

13,916 posts, read 20,103,660 times
Wrong.

No bugs.
No mildew.
Warm sunny days in January and February.
No February slush month.

I would never move back to New England.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,303 posts, read 39,574,242 times
Hail... Baseball sized hail! Tough on your crops / roof / car / head!

Growing up in the Big Thompson Canyon gave new meaning to 'Flash Floods'.. lost many good friends and neighbors in 1976

the benefits of CO weather... It changes FAST! Only when I lived in Switzerland did it change so fast!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:56 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,605,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Hail... Baseball sized hail! Tough on your crops / roof / car / head!

Growing up in the Big Thompson Canyon gave new meaning to 'Flash Floods'.. lost many good friends and neighbors in 1976
True.

Switzerland is more temperate than CO though right? It still has the alpine quirks, but from what I've seen from data, our weather is much more continental and hot/cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Wrong.

No bugs.
No mildew.
Warm sunny days in January and February.
No February slush month.

I would never move back to New England.
We do have mosquitoes, they just aren't as bad. No mildew also means that nothing rots, which means tons and tons of deadwood. Warm sunny days in Jan and Feb are exceptionally hard on plants. April/May/June is our slush time, especially in the mountains. May is not that nice of a month up there.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:21 PM

12,170 posts, read 20,920,900 times
I've lived in Orlando and San Diego and have traveled to many more places.

Colorado, especially Pueblo, is more like the goldi lox climate. Not as hot in the summer as the southwest and southeast as we have highs from 95-105 but with breaks and the nights cool off with mountain breezes and low humidity. Then we are not as cold as the upper Midwest and northeast in the winter and they get a lot more snow. Plus we never get hurricanes, well we had one but by the time it got here it was a mild rsin event, and no earthquakes. In my opinion I can't honestly think of any place that has better weather.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:49 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,279,240 times
I think the only places that beat Colorado weather are San Diego anywhere in SoCal and the southwest like Nevada and Arizona due to no snow. Colorado still has awesome weather compared to majority of the US.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:50 AM

4,753 posts, read 4,863,679 times
I grew up in Phoenix and lived in Tucson for 8 years during college.

Arizona weather is nice from mid November through March. After that it's too hot to be outside. It can be over 100 deg at midnight during the summer.

But Colorado weather is nice from mid March through mid November. When it's too cold in January you can go outside with a down coat. In Arizona, when it's too hot you can take off everything and it's still too hot.

And I do enjoy the many fewer bugs here in Colorado. In Arizona, we had mean critters: Scorpions, rattlesnakes, tarantulas etc.

The ideal would be to have a place both in Tucson and in Colorado Springs and migrate during November and March.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:21 AM

13,257 posts, read 25,400,293 times
When I come home in the summer mornings here on the East Coast, there is a sickening smell of rotting vegetation from the wooded areas around my house. I have to get the house power-washed to get rid of mildew in the shady areas. You stick to everything.
Colorado sounds like heaven to me.

By the way, I don't think earthquakes are considered "weather" although I am glad to hear that Pueblo doesn't have them.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:22 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,919,122 times
I studied geography and weather for about a year before I moved to Colorado. There is nothing remotely like these weather patterns along the east coast or the Midwest. I'm going for a walk in this beautiful morning air because it is late August, 69 degrees (just checked) and the sun is just barely up. This sounds like a perfect morning for a walk. (Most mornings are)

Old 08-22-2015, 07:47 AM

13,257 posts, read 25,400,293 times
'sigh'
and here I am in the East with a/c on due to 99 percent humidity (and no rain). Happily, planning my visit to Colorado!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado