U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,195 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My boyfriend and I along with our dog (2 year old German Shepherd mix) are planning on moving to Colorado from Southern California next summer. We would appreciate any suggestions on where to live, culture and information on job markets.

The main reason for our move is we really enjoy hiking and camping and taking our dog with us and we really can't do that here. Unfortunately, Southern California is not the most dog friendly place, we use to camp and hike a lot more, but since we can't take our dog with us, we really don't do it anymore. We are also a little fed up with the weather and would like some seasons.

How near do you want or need to be to Denver?
-We would like to be in Denver, but it is not a must. As long as we are close to walking trails and/or hiking trails. It is dependent on the job market, if anyone can give us some insight on that. I am a personal trainer and my boyfriend is a special needs teacher with a mild to mod credential.

What size community do you prefer? The big city of Denver, Colorado Springs, 100,000-300,000, 25-100,000, 5-25,000, 1,000 to 5,000, under 1,000?
-We don't need to be in a big city. However we would like to live somewhere that is close to stores like Sprouts, Trader Joes and Target and walkable to cafe's. We liked Glendale, Cherry Creek Area, Wash Park, Evergreen, but are open to other places.

How much snow do you prefer? Over 100 inches, 50-100, under 50?
-We would really like to live somewhere that snows, something comparable to Evergreen. Less is okay as well.

What kind of work are you looking for?
-Like I said before I am a personal trainer and my boyfriend is a special needs teacher with a mild to mod credential. I would like to be close to a gym and a good school district.

What is your housing or rental budget?
-Rental we are shooting for 1200 as our max budget (We want to be safe and not get in over our heads)
Housing....250,000 max budget, but would aim for less.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 02:43 PM

20,812 posts, read 38,988,898 times
Your housing budget rules out much of the Denver metro area.

Look here for prices in Colo Spgs, which has the prices you're looking for.

We have a number of good school districts, look them up in our index of key threads.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,195 times
Thanks Mike from back East

Old 08-23-2015, 09:46 PM

3,660 posts, read 3,950,041 times
Thanks for using my suggested preliminary questions.

Evergreen reputedly had 2BRs at an avg. of $1050 and 3BRs for about $1500 per month but it probably has gone up.

To buy a Denver area house for around $250k will be very tough in many desirable Denver city neighborhoods and suburbs but you should have fairly good selection in Englewood or Wheat Ridge. Littleton a bit tougher. North Glenn looks cheaper but I don't know the area. Condos and duplexes may be cheaper options. Of course you can purchase a home below the average price, if you have a good eye for streets on rise, good fundamentals, potential.

To be within about 5 miles of the stores you mentioned, just stay within 5-10 miles of the heart of town as they are all within city limits but I believe there are several of each so side of town is not too critical. Colorado Springs has Target of course, Sprouts too and I read Trader Joes is coming within a few months.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-23-2015 at 10:52 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 10:00 PM

325 posts, read 293,283 times
I live in the Ken Caryl area, right up against the hogback in SW Denver Metro (Littleton) and we were able to find a rental for a two-bedroom condo for $1200. Great landlords, they stayed out of our hair--weren't the quickest in responding to some repairs (like the gas fireplace not working in winter), but for the most part, it was a good experience. I realize deals like that are uncommon, but they can be found. We found ours on Craigslist.

Your housing budget will be trickier, though I saw a home today on sale for $283,000 in Littleton. Just 3 bedrooms, 1500 sqf, but it was a single family home.

There are a lot of nice gyms around here, including Lifetime and 24 Hour Fitness.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:11 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,217,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Colorado Springs has Target of course, Sprouts too and I read Trader Joes is coming within a few months.
Trader Joes has been open in Colorado Springs for nearly a year now.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:23 AM

3,660 posts, read 3,950,041 times
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Time flies. They are now in Colorado Springs and Fort Collins, but there is always someone on some forum here yearning for theirs. I guess I misremembered dates and confused who had and who was still waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or