U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:21 AM

11 posts, read 13,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Ok.

If you decide to stay in GJ it looks like there a few roommate situations in the 400-500 range, as you probably already know.
https://westslope.craigslist.org/sea...and%20junction
Yes, I've been looking there every day. Coming up empty handed.

Well I just got up and she's demanding I pack my stuff and vacate immediately. Today. Within an hour. Storming around the house shouting like a lunatic and making more threats. This is bad. I will probably go to a hotel. I can't take her bullying and abuse. And I need food. Ran out 2 days ago. She won't buy me any groceries and it's a 5 mile walk through rural farm land to the nearest store.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:56 AM

3,806 posts, read 3,991,054 times
Very tough but seems like moving on is necessary.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:57 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,225,246 times
Have you tried contacting the Grand Junction Housing Authority?
Welcome to the Grand Junction Housing Authority

If they cannot help, perhaps they can offer other suggestions?

Old 09-03-2015, 11:22 AM

Mesa Inn at 704 Horizon Drive. http://www.google.com/m/search?=clie...9%6F%6E+%63%6F Free WiFi and breakfast. $39 on priceline. Maybe they'd offer that directly if you plead the situation and have cash. Might be hard to do better. 3pm check-in.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:36 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,390,553 times
I just wanted to say thanks to those of you trying to help here, especially NW Crow. It's really good to see this forum being taken to the next level, and going beyond just saying what's on one's mind, to offering urgent help. Many of us have resources not available to this gentleman. It's good to see them being used. Keep up the good work!

Old 09-03-2015, 12:03 PM

I tried calling the Homeless Outreach Team to check on possibility of finding assistance for you. That unit doesn't have someone on duty right now but Bev the dispatcher said a regular police officer could be dispatched to check on your welfare (and perhaps assist?) if you choose and are able to call. If you private message me your name and location and ask me to, I will call them back and pass it along. I mentioned this thread to them, so perhaps there is some chance they will speak up here directly. (If this was a step taken too far, I apologize.)

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-03-2015 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-03-2015, 12:21 PM

13,294 posts, read 25,467,231 times
My thanks to NW Crow and those who have concrete advice for this unfortunate poster. I work in mental health, not in Colorado, and can only imagine the distress this gentleman is in. I hope for the best and am glad to know that there are those in a position to give helpful advice.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:04 PM

Guys, I am back. I'm in a GJ motel.

This morning I tried to stand my ground, calmly told her I needed a few more days to find an affordable place.

Of course she went ballistic. Then I told her I have legal rights under Colorado law, and she can't kick me to the curb just because she doesn't like me anymore. Because I don't want to be her BF or continue having sex.

I said to her; "I checked online, Mesa county Sheriff's dept. website, etc, and Colorado law is quite specific in these matters. Even a verbal month-to-month rental agreement is a legal binding contract of sorts, and you have to give me a written notice to quit and vacate, signed and dated."

I'm not in Boulder, but this is state law as far as I know...

Source: https://bouldercolorado.gov/child-yo...enant-handbook

Termination of a Month-to-Month Lease

"A month-to-month lease is a rental agreement for a one-month period which is renewed automatically each month for another month until properly terminated by either party. A month-to-month tenancy is usually created when a tenant moves into the unit and begins to pay rent on a specified date without signing a lease. A month-to-month tenancy can also be created using a written lease.

To terminate a month-to-month lease, State law requires that written notice of intent to terminate must be given at least 10 days before the last day of the rental month which has already been paid, that is, 11 days prior to the next rental payment due date. In a written lease, for example, start from the day when the rent is due then count back 10 days. To terminate a month-to-month tenancy, the tenant or the landlord (whoever is initiating the termination) needs to provide written notice of intent to terminate by mailing or hand-delivering a copy of the notice to the other party."

Ok, so if I understand correctly, by Colorado law she should have served me a written notice, more than 1 week ago (rent was due Sept. 1rst) when she first told me to get out, and she didn't. Instead she just said to me, like 6 or 7 days ago, "I don't want you here anymore. I'm going to rent the room to someone else."

So I told her this is an illegal eviction process. You have to give me more time to find a place. Anywhere from 3 to 30 days, after serving me a written notice, depending on circumstances, regardless whether I pay rent or not (btw I did offer to pay her cash for another few days or a week)

Of course the eviction process also hinges on whatever lies she tells the cops. She could easily say I've been threatening her or hit her or whatever... and I'd be screwed, and she knows this I'm sure. Anyway, she said, "Go ahead, call the cops!" and I said, "That's YOUR job", as the home owner. To evict me, the tenant. MY job, is to try my best to explain what's really going on here, to the cops, once they arrive."

I'm bringing this up so others might get answers, should they be in a similar position. But I am also wondering if I can sue her for my hotel bills and other expenses and hardships I'm about to endure?

Anyway, when I told her that, she countered with this: "You remember the other night we were out on the porch talking? Well the whole time I was recording our conversation on my phone! You idiot. In that conversation I told you to get out by the 3rd."

I said, "Gosh, you sly fox. I had no idea I was on cam, or being voice recorded. I actually imagined we were communicating like two mature adults about our difficult situation and mutual needs, and trying to reach a fair and reasonable compromise. Silly me. Nonetheless, a covert iPhone recording isn't the same as serving me a hand-written notice of intent to terminate, as required by Colorado law. Ergo, your ingenious hidden mic recording won't stand up in court."

Bottom line is I went with Crow's advice, to gtfo, although Mary's advice to stay on until I found a better home, was equally compelling and tempting for me.

@ Crow: I really do appreciate all the help you have offered. That means more to me than you can know. I will examine all options available, click all links you've provided, and I'm still crossing my fingers I can find an affordable room for rent, in a place a guy like me would fit in.

@ everyone else who joined this thread.... You guys are awesome!
Thank you so much for your well wishes and kind words. As opposed to mocking me for being a sucker, fool, or suggesting I continue giving this woman what she really wants or needs...to keep a roof over my head. I am perhaps many imperfect things, but never let it be said, I sold my dignity for a nice home in the country with some crazy sex-starved psycho chick.

Oh and just FYI: This widow's decorated Vietnam war combat veteran husband (God rest his soul) committed suicide a few months ago, shortly after he married her, under rather suspicious circumstances. I'm not making accusations here, just sayin. She doesn't work. She lives in his house, on his land, and pays all her bills by collecting Veteran's widow benefits, and whatever money she received from his life insurance policies, of which she is sole beneficiary.

Last edited by Qrius; 09-03-2015 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-03-2015, 03:19 PM

Page turned. Step forward. Good wishes.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:00 PM

https://youtu.be/XAbY2cmEsS0

Don't worry Crow, there's an angel on my shoulder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or