U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 07:07 PM

8 posts, read 10,141 times

Advertisements

Live in Kansas City MO.
Will be 60 in November.
Can retire with a gross income of around $4200 a month.
Like to motorcycle on and off road. Likely to investigate snowmobiles due to weather!
I will be moving with my girlfriend who will be job hunting.
I have some cash to move and get started with.
Will have health insurance until medicare time.
Will be looking for a rental ~$1K a month.
Enjoy wrenching so need a garage or shop of some sort.
Have been looking at Craigslist for rentals and found several worth looking at in the S. W. quarter of the state but timing is not right yet.
I think we want to land near Ouray or vacinity. This is negotiable but we vacationed there and loved the area. Want to be close or in the mountains.
I have a 4 wheel drive vehicle.
Have downsized and thinking we might be able to make the move with one large U-Haul?

Pros and cons?

Thanks for reading.
Carl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 07:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,350,669 times
Con: Colorado is one of the 13 states that tax Social Security:

13 States That Tax Social Security Income

Old 09-05-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Con: Colorado is one of the 13 states that tax Social Security:

13 States That Tax Social Security Income
Thank you for that info. I see missouri is on there to but at a less rate.
Unfortunately there are a lot of things for me to learn asap.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:05 PM

3,793 posts, read 3,979,716 times
Looking at property and moving of course will be easier in April or after than in winter. Ridgway has some advantages over Ouray in terms of housing with more land, access to Montrose, somewhat milder winter. There are some places between the two.

Jim 9251 has some thread links here thinking about moving to telluride, ouray, ridgway, montrose area, advice needed

Old 09-05-2015, 09:18 PM

Yes, have seen some places in Ridgeway. That sounds like good advice.
Yeah, winter moving is bad even in Missouri. Our current lease expires end of Januaury.
May have to find something local with short lease option.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:33 PM

13,941 posts, read 20,179,537 times
I believe that Colorado exempts the first $20K of pension income.
But, I have a pro do my tax returns so I really do not pay attention. Not moving out of the Social Paradise of The City & County of Denver.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:14 AM

11,043 posts, read 12,392,322 times
No E in Ridgway. You should be fine with that income. Ouray is a beautiful town, VERY crowded in summer and the nearest major shopping is an hour away. It's set in a box canyon, so if you're claustrophobic, it won't be for you. It snows, a LOT. One year there was so much snow, they ran out of places to put it from plows. Ouray also has a major bear problem this time of year, and you can expect to see bears in your yard, living room, etc. Ridgway is nestled in a valley with spectacular views of the San Juan mountains. Due to it's valley setting it gets very cold in winter (was 44 below zero last year). Ridgway is also becoming home to a lot of pot shops and transients so you may either love or hate that aspect. Both towns are in the San Juan foothills at 7,000 plus feet. It will take time to adjust to the altitude. Some people never do. Your car tags and insurance will double or triple.

Ouray County is the jewel of Colorado. I would suggest visiting, renting, and exploring. Good luck to you.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
No E in Ridgway. You should be fine with that income. Ouray is a beautiful town, VERY crowded in summer and the nearest major shopping is an hour away. It's set in a box canyon, so if you're claustrophobic, it won't be for you. It snows, a LOT. One year there was so much snow, they ran out of places to put it from plows. Ouray also has a major bear problem this time of year, and you can expect to see bears in your yard, living room, etc. Ridgway is nestled in a valley with spectacular views of the San Juan mountains. Due to it's valley setting it gets very cold in winter (was 44 below zero last year). Ridgway is also becoming home to a lot of pot shops and transients so you may either love or hate that aspect. Both towns are in the San Juan foothills at 7,000 plus feet. It will take time to adjust to the altitude. Some people never do. Your car tags and insurance will double or triple.

Ouray County is the jewel of Colorado. I would suggest visiting, renting, and exploring. Good luck to you.
Awesome information. Thank you. Those are things I did not know!

Old 09-06-2015, 12:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,374 posts, read 39,687,035 times
Retirement? Why not consider nearby states of SD, and WY (no income Tax). or MT. No sales tax.

Best of both as retired is to LIVE in a border town of state w/o income tax and shop next door in sales tax free state.
for 'west and mtns'... (WY or SD and MT) or (WA or NV and OR).

If I were only one... I would be in Powell, WY
, but you should also look at Sheridan (and Spearfish / Sturgis, SD).
WY has much more % federal land than CO, and a fraction of the people trying to access it. Quality of life can be pretty good, neighbors are great in WY. CO is a 'battleground state', with people swarming in to experience 'quiet, openness' freedom, beauty...' so... expect more conflict with all.

YMMV

Old 09-06-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Retirement? Why not consider nearby states of SD, and WY (no income Tax). or MT. No sales tax.

Best of both as retired is to LIVE in a border town of state w/o income tax and shop next door in sales tax free state.
for 'west and mtns'... (WY or SD and MT) or (WA or NV and OR).

If I were only one... I would be in Powell, WY, but you should also look at Sheridan (and Spearfish / Sturgis, SD).
WY has much more % federal land than CO, and a fraction of the people trying to access it. Quality of life can be pretty good, neighbors are great in WY. CO is a 'battleground state', with people swarming in to experience 'quiet, openness' freedom, beauty...' so... expect more conflict with all.

YMMV
Thanks this is the kind of information I can use to make decisions (along with the other helpful posts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or