U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:10 PM

4 posts, read 7,790 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I have been a long time lurker, first time poster. I have been looking at a job in the Fort Morgan area and hope I get it. I have lived in CO before although in Alma and I know it is different than that area but I would like to know what Fort Morgan is like. I know it is a farming community but I have grown up on a farm in the middle of nowhere so I know what that's like and it doesn't bother me. I would like to know a little about the town and favorite pastimes of everyone that lives there. I am ready to try something new but my wife is a little hesitant. Can anyone give me some info without just saying how much it sucks? Thanks for any replys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,622 times
I've lived in Fort Morgan my whole life, as have my parents, and their parents. This is what I have to say. I LOVE small towns. I love living somewhere where everyone knows your name and you say hi to everyone you pass on the street because they're a friend. This is NOT Fort Morgan.
Fort Morgan has good water, decent weather, downtown and it closely surrounded area are beautiful, as well as the Riverside Park. Those are the only good qualities of Fort Morgan. I did live in Loveland, CO for 6 months and people were kinder there, than in Fort Morgan.

There IS a serious drug problem. There are a lot of immigrants and refugees because we have plants for them to work in. Customer service ANYWHERE you go is horrible. It's all about what family you're from and how much money you have. The "adults" are often worse than the children when it comes to drama. My advice, stay away. It's a black hole and if you get sucked in, you're staying. And it won't take too long for you to realize you don't want to be here.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 PM

There really are no pastimes for anyone. The best you'll get is walking downtown, walking Wal-Mart, going to see a movie or going to the drive-in in the summer, that's about it. That's why the drug and alcohol rate is so high in the area, people are bored. If you have specific questions ask away, don't know what else to tell you.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:11 PM

Interesting, too, how many posts we get on the site from young folks just like you that can't wait to leave the place and head out for all the "excitement" of the world. And then regret later that the family has sold the farm and they can't move back to it when they've gotten the "excitement" out of their system. It's tough to put it all in perspective when you are only seeing one end of the yardstick ....

You'd be surprised how many people DON'T come back then. I don't know anyone personally who'd WANT to raise a family in this community. Sure, there are a few "fun" traditions that everyone partakes in; however, the people are beyond rude, the education is a joke, if you can't figure that out just go down to FMHS and visit the BUILT IN NURSERY! If that's not poor education and parenting you're as ignorant as the rest of the trash! Not to mention the serious drug problem and the immigrants. America is the "melting pot" but we seem to be stuck with all foreign peoples who believe WE should cater to THEM! Perhaps you need to take a poll of the people who live in the area and see how many are TRUELY happy, because only the snobby brown nosing drug addicted rich folks that also happen to control everything in town are happy.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:23 PM

43 posts, read 90,049 times
Default possibly moving to fort morgan.... need comments

My boyfriend might be getting transford to Fort Morgan for work just looking for some information on it. My chances of finding a job, anyone know if daycare is needed cause thats what I am looking to do if we stay here. I am from MN just wondering what the winters are like and do you see much there for bad storms? (tornadoes?) any comments on the area would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,351 times
Default Need Information on Fort Morgan, Colorado

We are living in a small town in KANSAS and would like to relocate to Fort Morgan, Co. Mainly because my dad could transfer to Cargill Beef packing plant. I would like to know how the economy, housing market, school system, rec and park system, employment rate, living expenses etc... is like in this city.

I have read some negative things about ft morgan, such as the smell which it smells just as bad in our current town, thus that is not a problem. I have younger sibilings and would like to participate in sports including basketball and cheer.

***what is it like to live in this town?
***is it a good town to move into and raise a family?

P.S. my father earns about $14.55 here at this plant, no public transportation, pop 27,000, not much entertainment, gangs are a joke here--but kids are very rebellious, have a small mall, walmart, and variety of restaurants.

we are not looking for a "cool" town to relocate-- just one that is affordable, safe, has good paying jobs.

your input is much appreciated.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 AM

20,844 posts, read 39,064,756 times
We have threads in here on Fort Morgan, if you haven't done so already you can use our search tool to find them, or look in the index.

Greeley is a better place to be as far as not being so isolated and it has a large meat packing plant; we've lots of threads on Greeley.

Look for rentals with padmapper.com or both rental and sale properties on realtor.com
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:47 AM

16 posts, read 46,430 times
Default Fort Morgan - looking for some information

I've scoured the forums here, but haven't really found any information. I'm thinking of moving to an affordable smaller city with a smaller population, but not so small that jobs are impossible to find. I'm married, have four kids and am not opposed to having more. I've been researching fort morgan, the prices there for buying a house are very affordable in comparison to the western side of the state. I do have some questions:
  • How is the job market?
  • Are schools decent?
  • What do kids do there for fun?
  • What do couples do there for fun?
  • Is there public transportation?
  • Are things generally within walking distance?
  • How do residents feel about crime there?
  • Does the town generally have an everyone knows everyone feel or do people tend to keep to themselves?
  • What kind of businesses will I find there? (big box vs mom-pop)
I saw another thread where someone asked for information and he was directed to do a search on the forums. I did that and found nothing useful that was recent. The most recent post was from three years ago. I'd really appreciate help on this - thanks!

Last edited by Telmahury; 07-27-2013 at 10:29 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 10:43 AM

20,844 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Telma, I've merged four general threads on Fort Morgan into this one larger thread so that the best info we have on that town is now found in one place.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 AM

16 posts, read 46,430 times
Thanks Mike, very helpful the thing I noticed , the most recent information is from three years ago..... I was hoping to get some fresh perspective on the town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado