U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:41 AM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times

Advertisements

Hopefully some folks will speak up with newer info.

In the meantime I went to craigslist, selected Eastern COLO, clicked on the overall JOBS listings and entered the word MORGAN into the search box. It came back with this list of jobs which may be of some help to you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 04:01 AM

7 posts, read 12,678 times
Default Relocating from Portland, OR to Fort Morgan, CO

I'm 24 female Would like to learn more about Fort Morgan and what it's like there with the people, jobs and community college. Also what's to do for hobbies and entertainment. What are the Pros and cons of living there and vibes? Also would like to know about the drug rate there, is it around more then the usual? Also with Fort M being a small town are people less accepting of being gay? Is it a place easily to settle into for a home?
Any info you have from living there will be helpful (:

Old 02-02-2015, 10:21 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,125,762 times
My late Mother was born and raised there and most of her family still resides there, so I know a little about the town:

1. You are in for big time culture shock.
2. Don't know about FTM's acceptance of gays, but probably no better/worse than other plains locations.
3. Home prices will be very affordable compared to Portland, that should help.
4. Get used to brown instead of green. Although, the fields get nice and green in the spring.
5. Flat, flat and more flat.
6. Getting used to the smell of manure.
7. There's the Brush Rodeo, which is one of the largest amateur rodeos in the world!
8. Above all, visit first if you haven't already before making your move. Only you can determine whether a little town like this will suit your needs.
9. Morgan CC offers the standard curriculum, their website is: Morgan Community College :: Home
10. Large Latino population.
11. The California Zephyr stops there!
12. Best wishes, hope things work out for you!

Last edited by Kar54; 02-02-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 AM

6,905 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Said it best above, major culture shock.

If you really like Portland, Denver is a much better bet, but you didn't say why you are leaving.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:24 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,356,350 times
Not saying that it's a bad place to live (I know little about that), but you might want to google Marilyn Musgrave (of late the most prominent politician from that area) to get a feel for the political climate there.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:33 AM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
From Fort Morgan it is about 50 miles to Greeley, 80 to Fort Collins and Denver. If you are willing to drive, it is possible to access anything they offer, ocassionally, if that is enough. Go to them once or twice a week, month, quarter or year. Up to you and your gas money and personal energy budgets.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:53 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,021,584 times
Wink If not Portland

Should you do so, you would probably be the first person in history to move from Portland, OR to Fort Morgan.

Certain reasons for that. Fair size city to small rural town. A lush if wet climate to one brown and barren in comparison. At 4,324 feet Fort Morgan is fairly low by Colorado standards, but appreciably higher than Portland's 50 feet above sea level. Maritime climate (more or less) to one with little humidity.

Depending on perspective any of these traits could be considered pluses or negatives. Some, and most Coloradoans, will favor the greater prevalence of sun here against the common cloud cover of western Oregon's winters. You'll also experience far less traffic in Fort Morgan. Being one of the advantages of a small town. Other than that I am more familiar with Brush than Fort Morgan, and cannot speak to schools or much else. But you should expect such towns to be conservative in comparison to liberal Portland. Not Bible Belt by any means, but even liberal enclaves in Colorado like Boulder or some of the resort towns like Breckenridge might seem somewhat square in comparison to Portland. The scattered towns on the eastern plains are not known as being progressive bastions.

At a certain moment driving in from the east side of Colorado the white snowcapped peaks of the Rocky Mountains become just visible on the far horizon. In marked contrast to the slightly rolling flat sameness of the prairies surrounding one on all sides, being farmed and ranched. For any lover of mountains, it is a captivating sight. One that gets better as one draws ever, seemingly ever so slowly, closer. Until when near the Front Range towns one has the full panorama displayed in its mountainous grandeur before them. If best when actually entering within.

I cannot recall now whether these mountains are visible from Fort Morgan. If so then barely, and likely but an unrealized unseen longing. One will instead be within and one on the plains. If indeed most towns there have graced themselves with trees (some few by west Oregon standards). From Fort Morgan it is about one and a quarter hours, one-way, into Denver. All the way via interstate. A drive one may become familiar with. If it becomes more of a regular commute than one may question why they any longer remain in Fort Morgan.

If of course some people live there and surely consider it not only a fair town but indeed exactly where they wish to reside. But it sure isn't Portland.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
I did somewhat the opposite.

north and Eastern Colorado (ranch in Masonville / farm in Haxtun) to West Columbia Gorge, WA (@age 28 w/ 1st kid arriving 3 wks after move to PNW.)

I'm of prairie stock (pioneer homestead family), so I miss the expanse of the prairie, especially on bone chilling moonlit nights with sifts of snow & frost (like last night when I flew over Ft Morgan).

Get your online favorite Portland stuff lined up (powells) and plan a lot of flights home (your friends will likely not be coming to Ft Morgan to visit).

If you really like Portland, this move will be tough. Not sure of reasons, but be adventurous and accept the learning's from this great adventure.

RE Gay, FTM will be a 'don't ask, don't tell' environment. Don't expect to be openly embraced, be prepared to "go-it-on-your-own". People will be very friendly and helpful, but very conservative. For diversity, there are a lot of brown skinned families. They can be a great group to befriend and learn of their culture / issues in FTM and Colorado.

For the most part FTM is NOT the Colorado you read about (Unless you have recently read Centennial (Michener), certainly available at Powell's / MPL / paperbackbookswap) Centennial (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW: I have not lived in FTM, only delivered there 4x/ week on my trucking rte to WY / NE / SD.
I have a good friend who has been a business owner in nearby Brush, CO for 35 yrs.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-03-2015 at 01:37 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 01:35 PM

6,530 posts, read 10,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Should you do so, you would probably be the first person in history to move from Portland, OR to Fort Morgan.

Certain reasons for that. Fair size city to small rural town. A lush if wet climate to one brown and barren in comparison. At 4,324 feet Fort Morgan is fairly low by Colorado standards, but appreciably higher than Portland's 50 feet above sea level. Maritime climate (more or less) to one with little humidity.

Depending on perspective any of these traits could be considered pluses or negatives. Some, and most Coloradoans, will favor the greater prevalence of sun here against the common cloud cover of western Oregon's winters. You'll also experience far less traffic in Fort Morgan. Being one of the advantages of a small town. Other than that I am more familiar with Brush than Fort Morgan, and cannot speak to schools or much else. But you should expect such towns to be conservative in comparison to liberal Portland. Not Bible Belt by any means, but even liberal enclaves in Colorado like Boulder or some of the resort towns like Breckenridge might seem somewhat square in comparison to Portland. The scattered towns on the eastern plains are not known as being progressive bastions.

At a certain moment driving in from the east side of Colorado the white snowcapped peaks of the Rocky Mountains become just visible on the far horizon. In marked contrast to the slightly rolling flat sameness of the prairies surrounding one on all sides, being farmed and ranched. For any lover of mountains, it is a captivating sight. One that gets better as one draws ever, seemingly ever so slowly, closer. Until when near the Front Range towns one has the full panorama displayed in its mountainous grandeur before them. If best when actually entering within.

I cannot recall now whether these mountains are visible from Fort Morgan. If so then barely, and likely but an unrealized unseen longing. One will instead be within and one on the plains. If indeed most towns there have graced themselves with trees (some few by west Oregon standards). From Fort Morgan it is about one and a quarter hours, one-way, into Denver. All the way via interstate. A drive one may become familiar with. If it becomes more of a regular commute than one may question why they any longer remain in Fort Morgan.

If of course some people live there and surely consider it not only a fair town but indeed exactly where they wish to reside. But it sure isn't Portland.
The upper portion of Longs Peak is visible from I-76 in Fort Morgan on a clear day.

When we moved back to Colorado in 2011 we bunked up with my MIL in Brush while we looked for a place in Denver. I drove 85 miles each way to my job near Northfield. Racked up 20,000 miles on my car in 6 months. For me Fort Morgan and Brush are a biannual break from the city (Christmas and once during the summer). Not much going on out there. Odds are high it'll be quite the culture shock coming from Portland.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:11 PM

6,905 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
This made me laugh!

And it may be true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado