Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:53 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
This country tends to support people "doing what they want" as long as they are supporting themselves and are not a burden on society. Once you expect society to take care of you, all bets are off. Everyone who could support themself - but doesn't - is drag on society. And saying "I got stuck in a tricky situation" is just a feeble excuse. People since the beginning of time have gotten into troubled situations, but they correct them, learn from them, and move on.

Some states are more okay with that lazy, low-aiming approach to life, but CO is definitely not one of them. Even people who work hard and "do everything right" still often face an uphill battle here.
I agree for the most part. I think because the Western states are such dry and harsh landscapes the people who live there have evolved an especially low tolerance for people they perceive as lazy, which sadly often (usually IMO) includes people who genuinely need public help such as the disabled and people who simply don't have the financial or social clout to find bill-paying work in 21st century America. Even my hippie grandma gives me a hard time because I have trouble finding work.

I'd say Colorado is one of the states that believes most strongly in the adage that "those who don't work, deserve to starve". The harsh and arid climate has forged harsh cultural attitudes towards those who are incapable of being self reliant.

Last edited by Mini-apple-less; 09-08-2015 at 12:02 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 11:58 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
OP - I am not being snarky, not being mean when I say that I truly and honestly think that you are better off in the NE or in a state like California.

True, there is no legal marijuana in either but they are so-called "nanny states" with TONS of programs to help people who cannot get employment.

We have a ton of homeless people here in CO and there simply isn't enough social services to help them. You don't want to end up homeless in CO - it gets downright brutal in the winters at night and there is too much competition when it comes to shelters , soup kitchens, etc.

As for breaking into the MJ industry - you're too late man. The industry is oversaturated as it is - people with bio degrees are growing, not hobbie growers. People compete for low paying budtenders jobs. In short, I truly and honestly feel like it would be a mistake to move here.

I know you feel like you are between a rock and a hard place but CO, Washington, and Oregon are not the answer - you will have less social welfare and a much harder time. You cannot "walk" down to CA anymore than you can "walk" down to NYC - you'll need to come up with money for a COL that, while not on Boston levels, is steadily increasing. People with decent paying jobs are getting priced out of Denver - you will likely just end up on the streets. The rest of CO is beautiful but lacking in jobs.

Not trying to be mean at all, trying to help.
Another thing - California does have more generous social benefits than other Western states, but considering the much higher cost of living, you'd be off even worse unless you went to a more remote part of the state.

Grass Valley/Nevada City is a pretty nice and fairly affordable place, if you're absolutely set on moving West. My aunt came there with nothing in the 80s and now owns a nice house and is quite wealthy. Of course nowadays it would be harder to have such similar success.

It does seem to have some issues with crime for a smaller town, but it's very quaint and by West Coast standards I found the people very friendly. It gets very hot in the summer but it's a bit cooler than Sacramento. It's also near ski resorts and Tahoe and it's in the Sierras so you could live a very Colorado-like lifestyle there.

I would just say no to Oregon unless you have a social network in the state. Oregon will absolutely kick your ass if you don't.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 10,128 times
I didn't read through this whole thread but might I suggest you look on Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places | CoolWorks.com and apply for some winter jobs in Colorado that provide housing? Many do and you live on site so driving isn't an issue. It'll help you save up some money and allow you to get a feel for Colorado. I did that in 2011 and I fell in love with Colorado.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
I only smoke marijuana, its a plant and it helps me get by in life. I quit for the week to pass a drug test and now I'm miserable. Weed is good for you, its natural and relaxes you preventing you from making bad decisions.
Yet that itself is a decision keeping you from getting a job.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:22 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
What about a job as a Park Ranger or Wlidlife Researcher? You like plants and animals.

Only 1 problem you need a degree.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Park Ranger

Quote:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in biology, ecology, environmental science, forestry, natural resource management, outdoor recreation, parks management, wildlife biology, wildlife management, or zoology.
Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Wildlife Researcher

Quote:
A college degree in ecology, fishery and wildlife biology, natural resources

Old 09-08-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
I only smoke marijuana, its a plant and it helps me get by in life. I quit for the week to pass a drug test and now I'm miserable. Weed is good for you, its natural and relaxes you preventing you from making bad decisions.
You have to understand that smoking weed is not an excuse for having proper goals. There are plenty of smart people with college degrees making bank who smoke a little weed. But they need to be done in that order.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,300,500 times
Not related to a Colorado move per say, but if you have no education or prospects, becoming a plumber's helper/apprentice is a good way to go. Many plumbers are getting older and need someone to help them lift heavy water heaters, crawl in super tight crawl spaces, clean out the van, etc. If you can find a smaller mom/pop plumbing company somebody may give you a chance. It's hard and dirty work but at least you'll be learning a skill. I've always been able to find plumbing work in western states if I wanted it.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:30 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,546,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Serious recommendation for you bro... get a job with one of the white water rafting companies near Breckenridge, camp it out in the forest, pick up some vacationing ladies from Florida and enjoy being young.
I actually think this is the best advice on here. Go work as a liftie at a ski resort for a few years and raft in the summer. Bunk with a bunch of other out of state kids with no money and have a fun!

Old 09-08-2015, 12:38 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,299 times
Have you ever tried Manpower ?
Welcome to Manpower.com

ManpowerGroup | Explore Job Opportunities

Or Monster ?

Monster Jobs - Job Search, Career Advice & Hiring Resources | Monster.com

Old 09-08-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I actually think this is the best advice on here. Go work as a liftie at a ski resort for a few years and raft in the summer. Bunk with a bunch of other out of state kids with no money and have a fun!
And he could smoke weed, I've seen these guys campgrounds believe me I think it is all they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado