U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 02:25 AM

14 posts, read 118,176 times

Advertisements

Hi -

Does anyone know of a good mouse control/removal person in the San Luis Valley area that won't just kill a bunch and leave them to rot?

I moved across the country back to Crestone, CO to rent a small house that obviously has a mouse infestation.

I can hear them running around in the walls at night and there are mouse droppings in many places with many places of entry that were not sealed.

I was told of this problem when I got here, not before.

The solution was to put caulking in a few holes, but many more places exist where small mice can get in.

I am good about food sources not being out at all and all that. As I said, I just got here three days ago and realize it's more than just a mouse getting in here and there.

I am not going to sign a lease until this is taken care of properly.

Kind of wondering what people do in these more rural mountain areas. I realize this house needs to have more openings plugged up than the owner probably realizes.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 05:11 PM

3,104 posts, read 2,824,652 times
Take this seriously. Mouse dropping around here can be deadly (Hantavirus).

Good luck finding someone to do a decent job. Good help is very difficult to find in rural areas IME and a proper clean up of the mouse droppings will cost a LOT of money. Don't just let someone plug up a few holes, put down some poison and vacuum up the droppings. Droppings have to be picked up with wet (water and bleach) paper towels. Vacuuming will just put the virus into the air.

It's probably easier just to move. Good that you haven't signed a lease.

3rd person dies from hantavirus in Colorado

Old 09-08-2015, 08:35 PM

16,492 posts, read 20,878,940 times
Colorado^ is right. This has been a problem, not so much in the San Luis Valley per se, but definitely SW Colorado and NW New Mexico. Once you've get this disease, you can go down for the count in a hurry. A close friend of mine who lived in Durango lost his best friend due to this disease. His friend lived south of Cortez, was sweeping out his barn the previous day, woke up the next morning, felt his pulse-was running like a train. He took his temperature, and was 102. Ambulance hauled him to Mercy Hospital in Durango. Didn't make it.

Keeping a clean floor and clean cupboards in your house is always a good thing, particularly when you're talking about this hideous disease. The general cause of death is diagnosed as acute respiratory failure.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:29 AM

572 posts, read 395,802 times
caulk alone won't do much good - the general advice is to embed steel wool (scrubbie pads for pots and pans) then seal with the caulk or expanding foam in a can....

good luck!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:51 PM

4,695 posts, read 4,316,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Take this seriously. Mouse dropping around here can be deadly (Hantavirus).

Good luck finding someone to do a decent job. Good help is very difficult to find in rural areas IME and a proper clean up of the mouse droppings will cost a LOT of money. Don't just let someone plug up a few holes, put down some poison and vacuum up the droppings. Droppings have to be picked up with wet (water and bleach) paper towels. Vacuuming will just put the virus into the air.

It's probably easier just to move. Good that you haven't signed a lease.

3rd person dies from hantavirus in Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Colorado^ is right. This has been a problem, not so much in the San Luis Valley per se, but definitely SW Colorado and NW New Mexico. Once you've get this disease, you can go down for the count in a hurry. A close friend of mine who lived in Durango lost his best friend due to this disease. His friend lived south of Cortez, was sweeping out his barn the previous day, woke up the next morning, felt his pulse-was running like a train. He took his temperature, and was 102. Ambulance hauled him to Mercy Hospital in Durango. Didn't make it.

Keeping a clean floor and clean cupboards in your house is always a good thing, particularly when you're talking about this hideous disease. The general cause of death is diagnosed as acute respiratory failure.
DOUBLE H and Colorado^ are giving you excellent advise. Hantavirus is endemic in southern Colorado. The virus is carried by those cute little deer mice, but don't be fooled. A deer mouse shedding droppings in your home or out buildings can be deadly. I had one get into my house last fall. I'm a cat lover, so for me the solution was easy. I'd been thinking about adopting a kitten anyhow, and when I saw those tell tale droppings, I went straight to the local humane society and acquired a new BFF and one of the most efficient mousers I've ever had the pleasure of owning. "Tigger" caught that mouse the second day after I got her, and she has kept my home mouse free every since. You go girl! While everyone may not want/be able to take on a kitten or cat, in my considerable experience, there's no better way to keep your home free of rodents for the cost of only a few dollars a month for some cat chow. Plus, you'll get all kinds of added benefits like purring.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:54 AM

74 posts, read 83,678 times
Personally? If "I can hear them running around in the walls at night and there are mouse droppings in many places with many places of entry that were not sealed", then I wouldn't rent that house on a dare! Seriously! It's not worth the tiniest risk if there is a small percentage to contract Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome. I had the dis-pleasure to deal with a few of the vermin in August of 2014. There are absolute necessities to go through dealing with the cause and clean-up after eliminating the cause. Sweeping, vacuuming and hosing is the worst thing to do for clean-up. There are several good WEBsites to check out in following clean-up procedures. They will also give you a clue as to how long the virus lives outside it's host and how long it can live in sunlight. However, going back to what I said, "Not on a dare!" Deer mice breed like rabbits in cool, dark places. Dealing with a few is one thing. Possibly dealing with a infestation behind the walls is another.

BTW, don't be just concerned about the droppings during the clean-up if you decide to rent this place. It's in the urine as well. Wear rubber gloves (dishwashing).

Old 09-12-2015, 10:16 AM

4,760 posts, read 4,875,749 times
Get a cat?

Old 09-14-2015, 09:01 AM

Sorry for late reply!

Thank you all for all the advice! Unfortunately having a hard time finding another affordable place to move. I did see an article online about Hantavirus in the Crestone Eagle back in 2013. So I realize the threat for sure.

What is happening now is a "mouse mitigation process" whereby a local woman who is used to dealing with mice in houses around here is helping me slowly get rid of them. No one has gone into the attic yet, but I am not going to do it. I have not seen any signs of mice in the house since I cleaned up the droppings. What I did was spray a bleach solution on them first. I have set traps, but no new mice, thankfully.

The lovely guy at the hardware store who I have always gone to for advice on various things the last time I lived in Crestone, sold me some stuff called Shake Away. It has some peppermint stuff in it and some coyote urine in the form of small pellets. I have surrounded the house with this stuff, put it down holes, and in the outdoor storage closet. As a result, I am hearing less and less mouse noises. I figure they have to go out for food and then they figure a predator is around and are going elsewhere.

The landlord also brought me over those sonic plug in devices, some other sachets of stuff they don't like, and some traps. Will be setting more traps around the house outside, to assess what is around.

Plugged up any openings I could find inside with steel wool and have some copper mesh wire coming in the mail soon. The copper is supposedly best because it doesn't rust in the long run. The handywoman/mouse lady is going to have to use it probably in the attic and they are going to assess what work needs to be done at the foundation level.

But it's been an exhausting process to get used to altitude again and have all this going on and trying to see if there is somewhere else I could move. But this woman will come back as soon as she can get a break in her schedule to get in the attic with a respirator and shop vac. So far she has not gotten sick.

I think Hanta Virus is a real concern for sure. Worried about it, but so far, so good....I also have a terrier who will smell any fresh signs of mice around as he did at my father's in Montana.

And yes - from what I have heard and what I am seeing, it is not that easy to get competent help out here. Doing most of this myself so far.

Thanks!

Shake Away Link:

http://www.critter-repellent.com/?gc...ncUaArY-8P8HAQ

Last edited by wiley66; 09-14-2015 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 09-14-2015, 09:12 AM

P.S. Also, the hardware store guy said all the rain has brought more problems with mice around here. The landlord said he never had a mouse problem until the last tenant was here, who left a lot of food around, due to the business she is in. I don't think he realized how bad it was. I am also worried about chewed wires causing a fire.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:41 AM

3,104 posts, read 2,824,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley66 View Post
with a respirator and shop vac.
Using a vac to clean up the droppings is the worst thing you can do. You have to spray the droppings with a bleach solution and wipe it clean with paper towels. Double bag it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado