U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 09-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Location: Colorado
2 posts, read 2,249 times
Reputation: 10


My husband and I are thinking about buying about 30 acres and building (by ourselves) a very small rustic (no running water or elec.) 1 B/R cabin and an outhouse and wood stove. We have just started looking and so far we like Rand and Buena Vista areas. Anyone know how we should go about getting information on restrictions etc. and/or affordable land for sale that we could do this on?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 12:17 PM
20,811 posts, read 38,983,511 times
Reputation: 18994
Not easy. Look for existing properties first. Use our search tool with the word "cabin" as this topic has come up a number of times before.

WATER is a key issue in rural areas and can be a deal breaker; you must have ironclad understanding of what water comes with any rural property.
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,322 posts, read 39,595,005 times
Reputation: 23307
MT is the only 'wilderness / rustic building friendly mtn state'. You still need to comply with Septic regs, but no building permits r required

As mentioned... go hunt out your own 'existing' trashed / abandoned properties and verify their legality BEFORE purchasing.

You will NEVER find these listed for sale. County GIS sites have made this very EZ, finding properties and locating owners. realtors are not impressed that the PUBLIC has access to do this. If they find it first... you will pay dearly (don't even bother trying).
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2015, 12:26 PM
3,655 posts, read 3,947,441 times
Reputation: 2535
Local info on restrictions should be available thru one or more County government office.

Chaffee County Building Department

Jackson County- Can't find online. Phone # to county clerk here though. Jackson County CO Clerk | County Office Ask them for right web address or phone numbers.

One search tool, among many for properties: Jackson County, Colorado Land for sale, Jackson County, Colorado Acreage for Sale, Jackson County, Colorado Lots for Sale at LandWatch.com

A good local real estate agent should know the rules or know a local builder who does. Try a few calls to them. Don't have to commit right away. See if they are helpful. In most cases, you'll have to deal with them eventually.

Some past threads about cabins http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=19808407
might be of modest value.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-09-2015 at 01:12 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 07:54 AM
242 posts, read 284,730 times
Reputation: 531
Hard to impossible. No county in the state will Ok an outhouse that I know of. Septic is required statewide as far as I know (thankfully). (If that is incorrect I'm sure the usual suspects will chime in and correct me).

The land must have a well/be permitted for a well and that requires a permit/electricity to pump the well. That or you must haul water in. Either way, the county and State will regulate what you can/cannot do on the land.

Most counties have 600-700 sq ft minimum size requirements for dwellings. While some counties have no formal Building Depts. the State codes are still in effect for electricity/ well permits,and septic (and more) and you will not be able to slide by these requirements when you build.

"Affordable" is a relative/subjective term. 30 acres won't be cheap no matter where it is and if there is a well/well right/or water right it will be fairly expensive to purchase.

Have you priced such parcels? If you can afford 30 you should buy over 35 to have a better chance at securing a well right/permit that allows you more than "Household Use Only" (no watering outside)

good luck in your search
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 07:59 AM
Location: San Diego
34,794 posts, read 31,852,583 times
Reputation: 19265
Just buy some land and purchase one of those travel trailers that looks like a cabin. Then the only issue will be finding some place to store waste and purchase water. Some rest stops have pump outs with water so that would solve both. Weekly dumping would be a pita though unless you have a pump out close by.


Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 06:19 PM
946 posts, read 510,151 times
Reputation: 2074
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
MT is the only 'wilderness / rustic building friendly mtn state'. You still need to comply with Septic regs, but no building permits r required
Oh bull, my extended family has about 7 or so "rustic cabins" we've had no problems with unfriendly climate regarding our family cabins in CO and WY.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 06:23 PM
2,514 posts, read 3,475,972 times
Reputation: 5062
A composting toilet is an option.
Nature's Head Composting Toilets: Saving Our Water for Tomorrow
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Location: Western Colorado
11,024 posts, read 12,361,150 times
Reputation: 25844
I don't know about those areas, but around here I know of some folks who bought land (20-80 acres) and put a Yurt on it. A Yurt is considered a tent so the only property ta they pay is on the land. I've been in one, and it was very cozy, and had a composting toilet, wood burning stove (also used for cooking), solar panels for power and a water tank (owner had to haul water in). I thought the whole set up was pretty darn nice.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Location: Edgewater, CO
531 posts, read 909,804 times
Reputation: 642
You have to be very careful with county regulations before investing in anything like a 'rustic cabin' or a 'yurt.'

You must follow county regulations for buiding. Some counties are more lenient than others. You do not want to invest in building a structure, only to have the county levy fines and/or condemn your property because you didn't follow regulations.

People have been getting away with these things for years... until the county decides to crack down on illegal buildings or a neighbor complains.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top