U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2009, 11:29 AM
 
2,755 posts, read 8,450,532 times
Reputation: 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Then why is it companies and people want to move to Colorado and not Wyoming?
On a per-capita basis, Wyoming is much better off than Colorado. (Remember that their population is slightly more than 1/10th the size of Colorado). In-migration rates per capita into Wyoming are higher than Colorado, job creation has been higher (which is why people move there), and by any standard Wyoming is doing better than Colorado of late. Of course, the booming energy industry probably has something to do with this, and that boom appears to be ending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
68,911 posts, read 57,728,701 times
Reputation: 19552
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Ref C should have temporarily halted the ratchet effect. Once Ref C expires, however, they HAVE to have something else in place, otherwise the ratchet effect will basically lead to a doomsday scenario in which state government simply can't function. The failed amendment 59 was an attempt to halt the ratchet effect for good.

I firmly believe that the public doesn't fully understand the ramifications of the ratchet effect and what the consequences are. The state really needs to the BOTH parties speaking with a united voice on a budget solution, much like they did back when Ref C was successful.
We need to have a state-wide "De-Brucing" vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Status: "CSU Pueblo football is ranked 2nd in the nation!" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
10,165 posts, read 11,152,198 times
Reputation: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
On a per-capita basis, Wyoming is much better off than Colorado. (Remember that their population is slightly more than 1/10th the size of Colorado). In-migration rates per capita into Wyoming are higher than Colorado, job creation has been higher (which is why people move there), and by any standard Wyoming is doing better than Colorado of late. Of course, the booming energy industry probably has something to do with this, and that boom appears to be ending.
All I know is Pueblo has more developments planned then the entire state of Wyoming combined so we must be doing something right.

That being said I know Colorado is not perfect and can improve ourselves. I agree that parts of the tabor amendment need to be revamped, such as the ratchet up affect, but some parts are good, where we have to vote in any tax increase.

Overall given our economic forecasts, even during this downturn, I think Colorado's future is very bright.

Also, we have been talking about economic issues Wyoming has social issues that Colorado has solved years ago, speaking as a gay person Colorado is the only state in the Rocky Mountain Region I would consider living in and that is just one example of how Colorado is more progressive on the social issues.

That got a little off topic but to tie it in I would suspect that our colleges our more progressive when it comes to social issues as well and is another reason more people chose to come to school and live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 12:16 PM
 
2,755 posts, read 8,450,532 times
Reputation: 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Also, we have been talking about economic issues Wyoming has social issues that Colorado has solved years ago, speaking as a gay person Colorado is the only state in the Rocky Mountain Region I would consider living in and that is just one example of how Colorado is more progressive on the social issues.
True, I think that outside of economics there certainly are good reasons why one might want to choose Colorado over Wyoming, or CU/CSU over UW for that matter. For myself, I'm happy with Denver, and have no desire to move to Laramie, but my point is that we can certainly learn something from the state of Wyoming when it comes to funding higher ed while maintaining fiscal discipline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 12:32 PM
 
7,980 posts, read 15,429,236 times
Reputation: 7982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Then why is it companies and people want to move to Colorado and not Wyoming?
The short answer is that Wyoming simply has such a small population that the pool of available workers is very small. Wyoming has attracted companies to locate there instead of Colorado, however. There is a large Wal-Mart distribution warehouse in Cheyenne (the largest building in square footage in Wyoming) that Pueblo lost to Wyoming--purportedly mostly due to Colorado's less favorable employment and commercial property taxation laws compared to Wyoming's.

You also need to learn that "planned developments" are often not much more than some beady-eyed promoter's pie-in-the-sky dream that often never come to fruition. I've seen a million of those schemes (scams?) over the years--most never get beyond the "talk" stage. As the saying goes, "Talk is cheap and beer costs money."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Status: "CSU Pueblo football is ranked 2nd in the nation!" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
10,165 posts, read 11,152,198 times
Reputation: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The short answer is that Wyoming simply has such a small population that the pool of available workers is very small. Wyoming has attracted companies to locate there instead of Colorado, however. There is a large Wal-Mart distribution warehouse in Cheyenne (the largest building in square footage in Wyoming) that Pueblo lost to Wyoming--purportedly mostly due to Colorado's less favorable employment and commercial property taxation laws compared to Wyoming's.

You also need to learn that "planned developments" are often not much more than some beady-eyed promoter's pie-in-the-sky dream that often never come to fruition. I've seen a million of those schemes (scams?) over the years--most never get beyond the "talk" stage. As the saying goes, "Talk is cheap and beer costs money."
Pueblo lost the Walmart DC not because of any tax laws but because of our county commissioners. Walmart wanted to go to Pueblo and they found a way to lose the deal. Fortunately for Pueblo there is only 1 left of those 3 who did it and our region still needs a Walmart DC and Pueblo is still their choice, I hear down south by the Vesta's plant.
As far as developments is concerned you could be right but I tend to be optimistic but we will see. CSU Pueblo is growing faster then any college in Wyoming so that should say something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Denver area
16,939 posts, read 11,790,714 times
Reputation: 18955
Back to the OP.....try looking at the Western Undergraduate Exchange program...Several out-of-state colleges offer some kind of decreased tuition incentives for some students in neighboring states. Not all colleges/universities participate and some limit it to certain majors....Just a thought if you can't find what you are looking for here in CO....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Canon City, Colorado
1,333 posts, read 3,067,561 times
Reputation: 622
Gosh, I am once again agreeing with JAZZ and JOSSEPPIE!
That said, my 1st son ( and oldest) graduated from Smokey Hill High School with his first year of college out of the way(IB and lead the World Something or another to where his freshman year was passed) Dumb Mom Award Here!!!
Anyway...he had his sophmore year also passed and paid for because of World...???.. at DU.
He passed on that and decided on Johnson&Wales University in Rhode Island which he is now a Professor.
He will be on the Ratheon Polar Team this winter in Antartica.
My youngest is now in the US NAVY...he is a Cryptologist. He graduated from Canon City High School.,,,.......See,....10 years apart and yet......it is all about what one makes of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way...my youngest's dad was at Gunnison on a Football Scholarship 1975 (probably when JAZZ was).....he also is very successful....WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!! Right JAZZ??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,460 posts, read 13,951,617 times
Reputation: 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Gosh, I am once again agreeing with JAZZ and JOSSEPPIE!
That said, my 1st son ( and oldest) graduated from Smokey Hill High School with his first year of college out of the way(IB and lead the World Something or another to where his freshman year was passed)
The one in south Aurora? You mean the one that's spelled "Smoky Hill High School" (no 'e')? SHHS IB grad here too, class of '04!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 11:00 AM
 
537 posts, read 731,297 times
Reputation: 488
Be careful about asking how "good" a college is. Don't forget the purpose of such an education is to prepare one for life and to prepare one for a career. All univerisities are set up to prepare students along this route. Is one really worth that much more than another? It's worth asking.

I myself attended a top 15ish university for college, graduating in 1999. Was it worth it? Perhaps... But since that time, tuition rates have nearly doubled. It's now about 8x more per year to attend my alma mater than my state school. Would I go back now under these circumstances? No way. I'd be at State U without a second look back.

Really, unless you're getting into Wharton School of Business or some other really top notch business program, I just don't see attending a top university being that good of an investment unless your child has a very specific interest or you have money to burn. You're going to have a lot of smart, motivated, and gifted students at most state schools, particularly the flagship schools. Many of these individuals made smart decisions and went with the lower costs. Sure, I met some fabulous people in my studies at the ranked school. I had some amazing experiences that challenged me and quite a few that taught me about who I should become. I had teachers who inspired me. But that can happen in many places. And honestly, I think one of the biggest difference between State U and USNW Top 20 is that you have to work a bit harder to have access to the same resources at State U.

I myself am a recent medical school graduate. Let me tell you, tuition rates aren't getting any lower. Last year, my state school was $19,000 per year in tuition. Private schools are now about $40,000. It becomes very difficult to pay off that kind of money down the road, especially if you have undergraduate debt weighing you down, as well. I've seen students literally forced out of career choices because it would be too burdensome to pay back loans.

But if you must look for "good" in a school, look for schools that serve specific interests. Look for schools that over bredth and scope. Look for schools that foster an open community with true debate. If a school starts enforcing things like "hate speech" or "speech codes," my advice is to stay away. There's an awful lot of brainwashing going on in universities these days. I definitely saw it at my school (though with neither of the above), and I came to resent that about the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:38 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top