U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

CO area advice: noisy complex, decent income, benefits package, full-time job,

Old 11-15-2006, 09:54 AM

26 posts, read 104,984 times

Advertisements

I assume by now, some of you who posted questions on earlier pages are now living in CO. What area did you choose? Are you glad you chose that area? Any other advice/suggestions for those of us who also plan to relocate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 12:18 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times
When we first moved out here in June '02, we rented a apartment in Englewood, CO.....which is about 20 miles south of downtown Denver. It was a nice area, but the complex could get to noisy at times. Two years later, we bought a nice house in south Parker. We did look in some other areas for a house, but finally decided on Parker. When we first moved there, Parker was still somewhat small, but it did have a WAL MART and Home Depot in it. Now, Nov '06, the town has definitely grown (a LOT, LOT more houses/people). Sometimes, the traffic on Parker Road can be a "bear" to cope with. We actually moved here from Southern Calif., but originally were from Indiana and Michigan.......so the weather here didn't shock us. We are now looking to move to NC where the winter is somewhat milder than here. Parker, Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree and Centennial are very nice areas to live, but you also have to have a pretty descent income to afford them. These areas are definitely "upper" middle to upper level class.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:29 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,776,739 times
Smile Moved from MN last year

I moved down here a year ago last July from Minnesota and was very thankful to get away from the cold and snow and ice. Initially I thought I would be able to manage living in Boulder on 2 part-time jobs if I was just careful with my spending, but I didn't realise till too late that this would be impossible as my employer's benefits package took nearly 50% of my salary and accommodation of any kind is hellaciously expensive! However, I loved living in Boulder and being so close to the mountains and Denver. After a few months I got a full-time job and moved out to Longmont which is cheaper and actually a smaller town than Boulder altho it doesn't look it as Longmont has much more sprawl. Thankfully I am now able to afford a decent lifestyle and enjoy the area much more. I tell people Boulder is where you go for the fancy things in life (eg; fabulous restaurants, higher-end shops, access to the mountains), Longmont has all the necessities of life (eg; Target). I like living in Longmont because it's affordable and I get a view of the Front Range from my apartment, but it is a bit large for me, which is why I'm hoping to move again. Denver is just 45 minutes away, as is Estes Park.

There are things I still miss about Minnesota such as the 14,000+ lakes for sailing, the funky neighbourhood I used to live in, tax-free shopping! and my friends, but I'm very happy being in Colorado. I find people here more outgoing and friendly and ready to chat with a total stranger; the weather is much better albeit a lot dryer (I miss rain); and I can decompress with just a 15-minute drive into the mountains and every day that I drive to work I look at Longs Peak covered in snow and think, "How lucky am I!"

Old 11-16-2006, 08:06 AM

26 posts, read 104,984 times
Thank you both for replying... I found them very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or