Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 05:32 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

It's official. I will be retiring to Ridgway in three-some years. I bought a building lot in-town (now just have to pay for it here in the East at my job). I would never try to live out there and work as I am all set here in the East but Ridgway continues to call to me, after visiting regularly since 1988. (In fact, I realized I'd driven through it in 1984 and had a very strong feeling of "I wonder what it would be like to live here.")

I'm planning to build a small (750 sq.ft.) house there while I continue to work here, then move in the spring of 2019 if all goes well. (The old Irish jinx protection...) While I don't overly believe in things happening as signs of rightness, all has gone in the direction of making this move. I have always done my daydreams (for better and worse, seen them through) and this is the last big one.

Now I can take part in the CO forum as a will-be resident. Now *that* feels right.

And for those who ask me, "But what about winter?" I point out that I lived outside Boston last winter, when we set every cold and snow record in the book. If I didn't have to get to work, it would have just been fascinating. As it was, I always say, I'll risk my life to get home, but not to get to work.

Oh, and of course I'll buy a Subaru before I move. The old Toyota might still have a few years left in it, but doesn't have AWD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 05:55 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Congrats. Hope you enjoy the building and the new chapter.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:36 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Congratulations! The next three years will fly by, even though it will feel like an eternity. When my husband and I retired we had a seven-year plan and I went crazy. I even had a countdown calendar on my computer, and my friends got tired of hearing me say "only three years, two months, 12 days, five hours, 25 minutes, and 10 seconds".

Now you know where you'll be spending all of your vacation time for the next three years!

Old 09-24-2015, 08:39 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
That's great! Ridgeway is a great area, the dogs in your life will love it out here.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:18 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
You will laugh at the winters.
My advice: subscribe to Fine Homebuilding and start planning.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:34 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Congratulations! Now you can walk to Kate's Place, Panny's Pizza, and the concerts in the park!

Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Congrats!!!

Old 09-25-2015, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,840 times
Default http://www.trainingintambaram.in/hadoop-training-in-chennai.html

very nice blogs.Contrz.Most of the banks i will not be finance raw land purchases because of raw land lacks collateral.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:14 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,712 times
Congratulations! I envy you so! Best wishes!

Old 09-25-2015, 02:48 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I'm paying cash, so no banks. Raided some retirement funds, etc.
My dogs now are all seniors, so whoever is left will go with me. I hope to volunteer at the Second Chance and maybe adopt seniors from there (fewer than my current six, since my property will be smaller than now) or maybe take hospice dogs. And Jim951, I can walk to the True Grit and possible volunteer work at the Sherbino and the Dzi Foundation. I'm told you can hear the concerts in the park from your house that close.

I already went through my Fine Homebuilding phase when I built my house here outside Boston in 2001. I even interviewed an architect I found there (way out of my league). I am all set with a cedar kit plan. My house here was designed by an artist and is absolutely gorgeous, but I don't think it could be reproduced, the framing plans were just too crazy and expensive. I didn't know about online plans then, or didn't have enough computer memory to download them. I love small house design and planning.

I know the time will go fast. I do have anxieties about leaving my comfort zone, as I've been doing this routine here for a long time. I do look forward to a different kind of social life (I look forward to a social life) and being away from the school/career-driven environment and all the crowding on the roads and so on. Also, I've been to enough restaurants (a small fortune!) to last a lifetime. I really want to live in the mountain environment and look forward to meeting people who share that.

I waver between terror at my choice and eagerness to be on with it. Right now, with enough sleep and everyone's good wishes, I am eager!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado