U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:30 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,181,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R478n6z44 View Post
Trinidad has no retirement appeal. It never will. Most Colorado retirees are looking for what the rest of the nation thinks of when they hear "Colorado": Mountains, Pine Trees, and skiing nearby. Trinidad does not have these things.
-Cheap housing near a walkable small town historic downtown.
-Much lower cost of living than the Front Range.
-Surrounded by mountains (with Pine Trees!) on three sides.
-Cheap golf and tennis.
-Mountain hiking & biking trails that start in town.
-State Park with boating and mountains within 10 miles.
-Skiing at Angel Fire or Red River, 100 miles, Taos Ski area 136 miles.
(about the same as Front Rangers drive to Vail, but no traffic).
-Plus access to medical marijuana!

If it is not a retirement community, maybe it should be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 01:58 PM

14 posts, read 16,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R478n6z44 View Post
Trinidad has no retirement appeal.
It seems you forgot to make it clear that it has no appeal TO YOU!

A warm climate, very reasonable housing and nice people sure appeal to me. :-)

Old 11-13-2015, 09:30 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,597,088 times
It does have those things if you look on the Raton Pass or take 12 around to La Veta area. It is so close to everything without a big price tag the rest of Colorado has.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:15 PM

79 posts, read 52,937 times
I like Trinidad. I used to work occasionally in the area, and always liked the town. It's been several years since I've been, but I remember it as economically depressed. It used to be a coal mining town, but the mines are gone. I've looked at the area for retirement, as it is still (I think) pretty affordable relative to most of Colorado, and has nearby scenic mountains. I remember having lunch at a little brewery in the old railroad depot, but I think that business closed. Trinidad has the potential to be an attractive place to live.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:35 PM

25,913 posts, read 28,290,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defacto99 View Post
lol This is the second whine in this thread about the evil cannabis shops!

I have a copy of "Reefer Madness" that you would surely enjoy.
Contrary to popular opinion, not everyone likes pot or thinks it's harmless.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:37 PM

25,913 posts, read 28,290,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defacto99 View Post
It seems you forgot to make it clear that it has no appeal TO YOU!

A warm climate, very reasonable housing and nice people sure appeal to me. :-)
And I'll point back at you and say "warm climate to you". An average January high/low of 49/19 doesn't seem warm to a lot of us.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:53 PM

14 posts, read 16,770 times
You certainly are a ray of sunshine. lol

Old 11-15-2015, 09:24 PM

935 posts, read 603,489 times
Mystical if you don't like it - don't smoke it! With your 17,000 posts you probably never get time to see daylight or any of those shops, so they can't be bothering you too much.
-------------------------------------

Had the Cougar Canyon guy sold me that building, I might have retired there. Trinidad has a wealth of old buildings and is an especially friendly place.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:29 AM

78 posts, read 163,411 times
I agree with what a lot of others have said. Trinidad is a dying town with an older population. I have spent a significant amount of time there and actually went to a high school a little outside of the town for a year. 90% + of the people i knew at that school left for college and don't plan on/haven't gone back to live. I worked in a gas station in town for a summer while i was on break and it was pretty evident that there were problems. Lots of crackheads, and lots of people that live in the government housing/use food stamps. If i had to choose a word to describe the town, it would be 'ghetto'. Lots of run down areas.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:15 AM

2,640 posts, read 2,283,168 times
I think the leadership of Trinidad needs to be voted out of office and get some new blood in there, that's the only way the city will progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado