U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 04:34 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,604,607 times

Advertisements

I think it is a nice town too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 10:03 PM

263 posts, read 551,301 times
Well, by looking at the pics of the town. It appears very beautiful and so clean compared to this nasty State of mine. It would be welcome soon for weather to just be below 80. I would welcome your beauty and open areas. I am sure it lacks humidity as well,yippeee. Me and my dog would welcome your area.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 455 times
Thumbs down Trinidad Purgatory

Trinidad is situated in the Purgatory Valley;an omen perhaps?

There is a palpable feeling that many people are bidding their time in this once bustling stagecoach town. The coal mine has long since closed and man can you feel it. Not unlike the effects of the closing of the Steel Mill in Pueblo, once the main industry closes up shop, the rot sets in. Crime, poverty, and transients are rampant for a town with less than ten thousand. No jobs, or any real opportunity, notwithstanding the weed business. There is a small community college but don't expect a refuge of intellectuals hiding out here: it's famous for its gunsmithing school.

It is unquestionably beautiful with idyllic views of the Twin Peaks and desert plains and there are some extremely friendly people as well. However there is a bleakness to this hardscrabble town that is inescapable.

The absence of any economic opportunity has taken its toll. "non-locals" are NOT welcome in taverns on the North side. But one can hardly blame locals for hating tourists coming into their town. If you grew up in a place with no jobs and nothing to do, the last thing you would want to see are weed hipsters laughing it up before going back to their prosperity. Appearances can be deceiving and downtown is aperfect example. At first blush it looks like a quaint small town. In a few months, the novelty of living in a new place wears off and the seedy side appears. It is a violent place where assaults and robberies occur more frequently than other towns of this size. There is also a complete lack of anonymity. For people who have grown up in Trinidad I am sure it is more comfortable. But for everyone else it really is a one-horse town. Xenophobia is common in small towns but it is exacerbated by striking poverty and economic recession in a town long past its prime.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-21-2018 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Spacing.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:22 PM

937 posts, read 608,362 times
Gee I've visited Trinidad often; we almost bought a place there 400 block of North Commercial but were apart on the price.. I think Trinidad is one of the friendliest places. We met people on the street we corresponded with for perhaps a year.. One couple would scout out places we might like and they werent realtors.

Having said that prices on old buildings have skyrocketed-- I'm not sure why but suppose the economy has picked up. While I suspect they aren't economically viable at these prices who knows? I loved the cheap old buildings and with price increases, it doesnt seem like a bargain anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado