U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:04 PM

31 posts, read 38,799 times

Advertisements

hello everyone im slowly planning my move to colorado and i wanted to know how much of a pain is it to get the diesel truck inspected and how strict are they? is it just better to own a Gas truck over in colorado? i own a 2004 dodge ram 2500 diesel and i was just wondering because of upgraded injectors and what not.. any info will help people thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 AM

242 posts, read 286,017 times
Pretty sure Denver (Front Range?) is the only place where you'll have to pass an emissions test. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Up here in the hills the only grief you'll get is if you smoke someone out going up the pass and they flip you off for it...LOL.

I'd worry more about having the right tires....(Hint: not those big treaded/macho mud tires)

best of luck on the move

Old 09-30-2015, 11:04 AM

14,498 posts, read 22,345,330 times
I have a couple of questions about diesel trucks with the Cummins motor (Dodge) or the Powerstroke (International? for the Fords) or the Duramax (GM or Chevy).

Do they run those without a muffler? If so, why? To be more obnoxious? Louder? Smokier? And if so, what does the Denver Metro (5 county area?) check for on those? Are they allowed to run without a muffler up there?

Old 09-30-2015, 01:03 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,079,489 times
Colo DOR diesel info on testing: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/diesel-vehicles

Diesels are offered with mufflers from the factory to minimize noise. Like other internal combustion vehicles, some people like to highly modify them to include removal or minimization of noise abatement as well as modification to fuel and ignition programs and with a diesel, modifying the turbocharger controls. Since the emissions inspection program may include a visual inspection, owners could be cited if they have removed some devices. However, I have heard, no first hand experience, that the primary component of the diesel test is an opacity test measure the actual plume of smoke discharged by the vehicle, and visual inspections practically never happen. Since vehicle owners can easily modify computer programs to alter such a wide parameters of engine performance, its entirely possible for enthusiasts to undo a host of mods with some keystrokes when their vehicle goes in for testing and then reset those parameters after the test is complete. Think of the recent Volkswagon issue on a personal level.

Unlike a gas engine emissions that rise and creates atmospheric issues, the primary component of diesel emissions are heavy and fall to the ground as soot.

Now most municipalities have threshold limits for vehicle (vehicles, not motorcycles) noise limits that they can cite owners for if they chose to pay attention to and target those individuals. Problem is, the general population of Colorado has grown faster than the law enforcement population and most jurisdictions don't bother going after these types of offenses unless they are easily included with some other citation or grossly obvious.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the info.

Not meaning to derail the thread, but I'd like to comment on something I saw yesterday. I was driving home and stopped at a stop light. The red Mustang in front of my had a license plate cover that said, "You are losing". Does this mean what I think it does? I'm losing this race with bozo here because I'm parked at the light one car behind him? Or is this something else?

Old 09-30-2015, 02:52 PM

5,194 posts, read 8,321,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Thanks for the info.

Not meaning to derail the thread, but I'd like to comment on something I saw yesterday. I was driving home and stopped at a stop light. The red Mustang in front of my had a license plate cover that said, "You are losing". Does this mean what I think it does? I'm losing this race with bozo here because I'm parked at the light one car behind him? Or is this something else?
My son-in-laws tricked up Mustang has a driver's side mirror that says " Objects in mirror appear to be losing"

Old 09-30-2015, 03:11 PM

... losing the quota battle?

I'd like to have a car that would make it to the next stoplight quicker, but what's the insurance rate? How much for a new alternator? How easy is it to change the spark plugs? How does it do in the snow? ...

Old 09-30-2015, 08:11 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,079,489 times
Yes, quicker to the next stop light is the implication of that statement.

How is insurance, it depends on make, model, driver's age and record. How easy is maintenance, not significantly different, maybe even less than an AWD Subaru, but again, it depends how they obtain that power and how new they are. Dodge offers their normal factory warranty on all their 700 hp Hellcat vehicles. How are they in the snow...loads of fun! Seriously, it really depends on the particular vehicle and its tires. I've had muscle cars with summer performance tires that felt like you were driving on ice when it only rained. However, if I swapped on good snow tires, they performed as well in the snow as any BMW or Mercedes. It just took barely any throttle pedal to make them move.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:26 PM

For a second vehicle, I like rwd. For a winter vehicle, I like 4wd or fwd. Nothing wrong with a 500+ hp vehicle and all, but where I live, it's impractical or a luxury.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,722,706 times
Colorado is bigger then this emission zone "The full counties of Boulder, Jefferson, Broomfield, Denver, and Douglas, and portions of Adams, Arapahoe, Larimer, Weld, and El Paso counties require a passing emission test to register a vehicle."

Move somewhere out of emission zone, or have you vehicles live in emission free zone (Vehicle Boarding School),

Use Bio-diesel for the test.

My DIRTIEST diesel only used 1/10th of the allowable spec running dino diesel. (ick) I doubt you will will have a problem, unless something is seriously wrong with your truck. (in which case you might want to fix it)

Best advice... DO NOT live in a county that requires emissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or