Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 11:48 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times

Advertisements

I don't see anything immoral in being lesbian. But exactly that in making an issue of how another chooses to live. But that's subjective . . .

As far as livable towns, and removed from those who might point fingers, there aren't any. At least not entirely. Places such as Aspen, CO, Telluride, CO and Boulder, CO come pretty close. All are expensive. Durango, CO increasingly falls into this category, both in liberalism and cost.

There could be some out of the way towns I'm not thinking of that would do well in liberalism and cost. Mention of Mancos, CO surprised me; I wouldn't have imagined. Carbondale, CO probably would, but it and everything else in the Roaring Fork valley is catching up to Aspen price wise in a hurry.

I'll give Crestone, CO a very honorable mention, but it could be less expensive, and in size and remoteness probably doesn't qualify.

Silverton, CO might be an outside possibility. Quite remote, but it is growing and will increasingly offer more services. This probably in large part due the advent of the ski area just outside town. Which, by the way, has caused property prices to jump upwards. But they do have one very nice coffee shop, which wasn't the case before. Long winters, beautiful mountains. The place is going upscale, and if the cost now affordable enough one might get in on the ground floor (of sorts) on a community which may become increasingly liberal and costly.

La Veta, CO might also work. Less costly, if perhaps too small. But it seems to have a nice laid back ambience. Rather a charming little town, largely undiscovered.

Gunnison, CO is cold come winter, but might otherwise work. Not really sure. Perhaps large enough, and pleasant enough in setting. If the choice, I'd choose Crested Butte, but then the issue of big money again.

Nederland, CO may work in all regards. Not particularly large, but with ready access to Boulder. Real estate may be possible, and certainly not in the same league as Boulder. A nice, laid back ambience. If one were to pick a handful of places within Colorado where hippies would (and DO) live, this definitely one.

Places such as Frisco, CO, Breckenridge, CO, et al within Summit County would qualify, save in cost. But mention should be made.

Central City, CO? Maybe too small. Commute to Denver, CO and environs possible, if one must. Lovely town with all sorts of character, but not at all sure of its politics. Did notice, however, that Gilpin County seems to be fairly liberal.

Telluride, CO is way expensive. But I just have to mention it because it is surely one of the MOST liberal places within Colorado. If nothing else, a good litmus test. I don't remember if locals call it the Republic of Telluride, Planet of Telluride, or something other, but some kind of special moniker applies. In this respect it probably outclasses such places as Aspen and Boulder.

Sort of nearby (and over the pass) from Telluride is Rico, CO. This falls into the 'maybe' category due size, possible cost, and myself unsure of local politics. Although I suspect more than a few locals share sympathies with Telluride. Some others may way not. I don't know.

Leadville, CO is evolving in this direction, as in liberal and becoming more costly. This primarily due the influx of workers from Summit County who need somewhere halfway affordable to live. And in consequence influence both real estate and also local politics. And ambience. Still some rough edges there, but in size and most else it may fit the bill. That is if one doesn't mind living at 10,152 feet.

Probably a few others I can't think of at the moment. I did notice that even the most conservative counties have their diehard contingent of liberals. Only they're outnumbered. If one can be content with a small and intimate circle of friends, a lot more communities become possible. But, yes, sometimes just nice to feel one of the club and not always sailing against the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 09:41 AM

719 posts, read 2,618,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0457 View Post
It's always interesting to note the the most interesting, beautiful, culturally vibrant, tourist attracting, cities and towns are permeated by the immoral!
...and many of whom haven't done an honest day of work in their lives. They have check writing on their trust fund accounts. They also tend to take freedom for granted.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:48 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,276 times
Kitteridge, Morrison, Idaho Springs, Georgetown. They seem fairly liberal.
I know, I know,...I'm working my way down I 70 but, it seems like a good fit! Georgetown is pretty pricey...so are a LOT of these towns. Used to be that no one went near them,.....kind of like Castle Rock back in the day!! Sure wish I would have invested.....darned hindsight!

I can't see much of a problem with most areas everyone has mentioned.
I would have suggested Trinidad but, I think it might be too far south!

Old 07-28-2008, 12:07 PM

93 posts, read 260,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
...and many of whom haven't done an honest day of work in their lives. They have check writing on their trust fund accounts. They also tend to take freedom for granted.
How very presumptuous of you.

There's always those bastions of the stoic and hard working like Wichita and Omaha in the meantime.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:24 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,587 times
I just got back from Durango / Cortez and what I was told by the people we stayed with was to the affect... "Most my friends are gay but I find it amazing that they are so tolerant of that but they are not with other races." It is my only hold back as a single mom with a bi racial child to moving there.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:48 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink In definition

The question in this thread had to do with 'leftist towns,' but liberal is probably also implied. Some people may not have checked recently, but I did, and the following excerpted from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:
liberal - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

2 a: marked by generosity : openhanded <a liberal giver> b: given or provided in a generous and openhanded way

5: broad-minded; especially : not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or traditional forms

synonyms liberal, generous, bountiful, munificent mean giving or given freely and unstintingly. liberal suggests openhandedness in the giver and largeness in the thing or amount given <a teacher liberal with her praise>.

One will find much the same definition in other dictionaries. While the term 'liberal' may be applied to politics, it generally seems to imply a certain tolerance and openness of mind.

In many respects someone such as Jesus Christ might have been considered 'liberal.' Wasn't it he that said, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."?

Old 07-29-2008, 06:01 PM

39 posts, read 124,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
The question in this thread had to do with 'leftist towns,' but liberal is probably also implied. Some people may not have checked recently, but I did, and the following excerpted from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:
liberal - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

2 a: marked by generosity : openhanded <a liberal giver> b: given or provided in a generous and openhanded way

5: broad-minded; especially : not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or traditional forms

synonyms liberal, generous, bountiful, munificent mean giving or given freely and unstintingly. liberal suggests openhandedness in the giver and largeness in the thing or amount given <a teacher liberal with her praise>.

One will find much the same definition in other dictionaries. While the term 'liberal' may be applied to politics, it generally seems to imply a certain tolerance and openness of mind.

In many respects someone such as Jesus Christ might have been considered 'liberal.' Wasn't it he that said, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."?
IDunn,
Thank you for researching the definition. You are absolutely correct in the dictionary definition provided by Mr Webster. That being said...you have to admit that the term "liberal" has taken on a more modern definition in the way of peoples choices and opinions, most notably in politics. I am always amused at how this term seems to make certain people think more highly of themselves because the original definition does include open-mindedness and being broad minded. I think this is how so many university students are influenced because they want to be included in the generous, liberal crowd.
Maybe we should look into a modern political dictionary and compare the two terms. Just a thought.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:25 PM

39 posts, read 124,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB8301 View Post
I agree with DgoNative. There is also a large gay/lesbian population west of Durango in Mancos. It's a very small town, the last two mayors have been either gay or lesbian, not many small towns can boost that.
Yep.....and that's exactly why when I pass through Mancos I don't buy gas, eat at a restaurant, or do any other business there. That is my choice.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:52 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Please keep this thread civil - without personal attacks or hateful posts. I don't like to close threads, but I will if this keeps up.
If you want to discuss controversial topics or politics, please head on over to the politics and other controversies forum.
You will find this forum here
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/
Thank you!

forum rules, please read them

Old 07-29-2008, 08:20 PM

35 posts, read 161,539 times
Thats fine. I steer clear of Colorado Springs. Not a cent of my easily earned "liberal money" will be spent there. Nonetheless, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fort Collins. When anyone tells me "Boulder is too expensive!", I always think of Fort Collins as second best... Just in my opinion. And I am a gay male. (Colorado needs more of me!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado