Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:31 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,125 times

Advertisements

Coltoncity, whenever I have been to Pagosa, the people have always been nice. They dont seem standoffish like up in the interior of Colorado ie Aspen, Vail. Sorry but the people up there are not the jolliest folks to outsiders. Anyhoo, Pagosa is more of a working town with middle income people but having retirees and summer home upper crusts moving there too. The backbone though is just regular people. Dont know about the schools. I would think being small they would have more attention to students. Altitude, the town doesn't seem high up to me. Silverton, you will feel it, Pagosa you wont. What I like most about Pagosa is the little downtown, it feels like you are living in a Norman Rockwall painting. HTH.
Pictures Are Of The Pagosa Springs Area

http://www.ownpagosa.com/1images/area%201/main_street.jpg (broken link)

http://www.pagosa-lodging.com/pagosa-resort.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 12-14-2006 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: added pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 01:19 AM

642 posts, read 2,551,280 times
Oh thank you so much for your post and pictures ... you dont know how comforting it is to hear those words. Norman Rockwell kind of town , regular people and oh how beautiful!!! I feel better and better about my choice all the time. You are very kind.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:00 AM

Sure, no problem. I like Pagosa and Durango too. Really the area from about Wolf Creek (east) to Mancos (west) is a pretty area and north of Durango. The area reminds me some of Oregon. About as close as you are gonna get to it.

Mancos Sunset:

More Pictures of Pagosa:
http://www.christiesgreatestates.com/images/property_image/0000007796_0000010312.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 12-14-2006 at 04:13 AM..

Old 12-14-2006, 01:39 PM

Is there a lot of ranching in the area or a lot of farming? that picture of Mancos is amazing. I want to visit the high desert as well. I am really looking forward to this trip now, I want to move the date up. Driving in from Denver I would assume. The roads that bad in Feb.?

Old 12-15-2006, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Is there a lot of ranching in the area or a lot of farming? that picture of Mancos is amazing. I want to visit the high desert as well. I am really looking forward to this trip now, I want to move the date up. Driving in from Denver I would assume. The roads that bad in Feb.?
Yes there is a lot of ranching and farming in the area. The roads are usually clear but up at Wolf Creek can be a real doozy so check with the weather data before going through there. Roads elsewhere arent bad at all. If it happens to snow, roads are usually dried off later when the sun hits but up higher though at Wolf Creek, make sure you check with the weather channel or your weather service to make sure Wolf Creek is fine to travel and you will be good to go.
So to make a long story short, you wont have any trouble except Wolf Creek if there is a lot of snow up there. They keep the roads plowed and usually it is Ok but I always throw a sweat going over Wolf Creek but when I am over it, I sigh a relief and dance a ***!

Oh, I want to add that if you fly in from Albuquerque, you wont have any trouble on the roads so for anyone wanting the easy route for winter travel, go via Albuquerque or even better, fly into Durango or Farmington directly if you can.

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 12-15-2006 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: added comment

Old 12-18-2006, 02:11 AM

O! Here is an odd question for any one who can explain this to me!

Lets say Im driving up the mountian to Pagosa Springs. If I get stop at 4500 ft instead of 7000 ft in elevation ... Would I still be in the Pagosa Springs area?
This elevation is very hard to get a grip on, Im used to measuring distance on a flat surface.

Also, It looks like on a map that I would be crossing Wolf Creek as opposed to driving on it ... is this a seperate pass Im on or part of the snowy Wolf Creek pass?

45 minutes is a nice distance from a big city and Im wondering if the roads them selves are in good condition?

Old 12-18-2006, 03:27 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
O! Here is an odd question for any one who can explain this to me!

Lets say Im driving up the mountian to Pagosa Springs. If I get stop at 4500 ft instead of 7000 ft in elevation ... Would I still be in the Pagosa Springs area?
This elevation is very hard to get a grip on, Im used to measuring distance on a flat surface.
At 7105 ft, Pagosa Springs is actually right around the average elevation for the area; the terrain slopes to the west, but Durango is still over 6500 ft. Elevations are higher to the east until you cross Wolf Creek Pass; Walsenburg, where you turn off of I-25 to head to Pagosa, is 6100 ft. Nothing close to Pagosa Springs is 4500 ft.

Quote:
Also, It looks like on a map that I would be crossing Wolf Creek as opposed to driving on it ... is this a seperate pass Im on or part of the snowy Wolf Creek pass?
I assume that Wolf Creek Pass is named for Wolf Creek, but I don't know anything about the creek itself. And while Wolf Creek Pass gets some big snows in the winter, the road is very well maintained; unless you try to drive it while it's actually snowing, you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

Quote:
45 minutes is a nice distance from a big city and Im wondering if the roads them selves are in good condition?
All the highways in and out of Pagosa are in good shape and are well maintained; they are all 2-lane, though.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:25 PM

Thank you I have a much better idea of what Im looking at now.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:34 AM

You might be thinking of Farmington, it has an elevation around 5200 feet or so. Like Duster1979 said, most all of Colorado that you are talking about is around 6,000 to 7,500 feet and more up in the mountains like at Wolf Creek.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:53 AM

I just revisited these pictures and Im in love with this place all over again! I really do want to visit it very soon. I was told once it was more artsy, was that wrong? Wish they had even just a small amount things to do, like indoor soccer or swimming ... maybe a Community Arts Center. I dont know how often we would be on the road to get to that and I dont want to drive all the time to Durango. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado