U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 02:57 AM

643 posts, read 2,227,832 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the differences of the Pines area to the Lakes area? Is one easier driving to and from? Are the Pines more of a sub division type of area?
Thanks to anyone who can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 09:24 AM

476 posts, read 2,123,771 times
To me, Durango is the more artsy place. Pagosa seems more Americana to me, the nice little downtown and such. There are some arty type places but overall more just Americana. Yeah, I wish Pagosa did have more places but I have to say the beauty really makes up for it. It is a place for people who really are into a more laid back quiet type of place. Durango is the more busy faster paced type of city with lots of artsy places and entertainment. I wish I knew about the Pines and the Lakes, I just know that the area is covered in pines and has lakes. It is really a pretty town.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,330 times
Default About Pagosa Springs

I ran across your post while doing some research about housing prices for an article for our online community news web site pagosadailypost.com. You will find this web site informative if you are thinking about moving to Pagosa Springs.

In response to some of your questions: The demographics in Pagosa Springs are very different from most places I have been. The town has a very small population of young people aged 18-30 (as in "VERY small") and a very large population of older retired folks. The wages for working class folks are embarrassingly low, considering the housing prices, and many people are predicting that Pagosa will go the same way as Aspen and Telluride lots of millionaires and no affordable housing for working class folks.

Our 19 year old daughter was home from college this weekend and said, "I enjoyed going to school here, but I feel sorry for most of the kids that grow up in Pagosa there is really nothing for them to do except smoke pot and drink."

The Health District here has begun building a hospital the first ever in Pagosa that will have, I believe, eleven beds. Because of the lack of young people, however, you would have a very difficult time making a living as a midwife. I think there were four births to families here in December except the births all took place in Durango, an hour away.

The town is a mix of old Spanish families (maybe 20%?) and "newcomers" from Colorado, Texas, California and elsewhere. Folks get along pretty well, compared with other mixed culture towns I am familiar with. Real Estate prices have doubled in the past three years you will likely pay $150,000 for a trailer, or $285,000 for a small house.

There is very little property available downtown, so most folks live in the Pagosa Lakes area or other rural areas, which has a very disconnected auto-oriented suburban feel very little in the way of community events, no sidewalks or parks, dirt roads poorly maintained. Lots of fresh air, however.

Schools are pretty good, for this area of the country better, in my opinion, than typical NM schools. There are a couple of private schools, which struggle to survive because of the low wages typically paid to parents.

Hope this helps!

Bill Hudson, publisher, pagosadailypost.com

Old 01-21-2007, 08:55 PM

Default wonderful people but nothing to do ...

I will check out your website and thank you so much for the information. I looked around on a couple websites prior to reading this and your daughters words seem accurate. It still seems like such a small problem compared to what has happened around our town here but it is still a concern. I have also talked to people there and they are SO Nice. I worry about people coming in and out just to party, does that happen a lot?

It is beautiful but I for once would like to be able to walk to places in town. Im so tired of driving everywhere so I would want to be very near downtown and that as you say is so expensive.

I have looked at Rifle (now getting oil companies moving in), Bayfield, Pagosa Springs, Bend OR. ... my head is pounding!

I started out only wanting to move to Taos our favorite place ... but the crime and drunk driving problems scared me away.
Back to the drawing board.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:53 AM

110 posts, read 439,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
I will check out your website and thank you so much for the information. I looked around on a couple websites prior to reading this and your daughters words seem accurate. It still seems like such a small problem compared to what has happened around our town here but it is still a concern. I have also talked to people there and they are SO Nice. I worry about people coming in and out just to party, does that happen a lot?

It is beautiful but I for once would like to be able to walk to places in town. Im so tired of driving everywhere so I would want to be very near downtown and that as you say is so expensive.

I have looked at Rifle (now getting oil companies moving in), Bayfield, Pagosa Springs, Bend OR. ... my head is pounding!

I started out only wanting to move to Taos our favorite place ... but the crime and drunk driving problems scared me away.
Back to the drawing board.
coltoncity, based on what you have written, I think you should look at Salida, CO. It is very, very similar to Taos without the negatives. It is 3 hours or so directly north of Taos in central colorado. Google Salida, CO chamber of commerce to get a good feel for the area.

I live in Vermont, but lived in Salida for about 12 years.

Good luck.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:46 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,208,400 times
Not all that many years ago, the State of Texas was planning on building a "texas national monument", and chose a site best representative of all the good things about Texas.

It was to be built in Pagosa Srings, CO.

The area was mostly owned as resort housing by out-of-staters (from a nearby state), and had very few local permanent residents. Going the "way of aspen, telluride, or ____" !!!! ... it's been that way for many, many years.

As stated above, the local economy doesn't pay well to residents compared to the cost of housing, etc.

PS ... the local outcry in CO was strong enough that the monument wasn't built.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Salida as opposed to Taos

Good Lord they actually tried to put a Texas National Monument in someone elses state? And people actually wonder why Texans are so disliked.

Interestingly I was thinking about Salida. It sounded very much like what I ws looking for and loved about Taos. Isnt it just freezing there? I cant find Creed on the map and I thought it was close to Salida.

I will google it and see what comes up.

Thank you!!!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:21 PM

110 posts, read 439,539 times
Quote:
Good Lord they actually tried to put a Texas National Monument in someone elses state? And people actually wonder why Texans are so disliked.

Interestingly I was thinking about Salida. It sounded very much like what I ws looking for and loved about Taos. Isnt it just freezing there? I cant find Creed on the map and I thought it was close to Salida.

Thank you!!!
The first time I ever went to Taos I lived in Salida and my first thought was how similar the towns seemed although I liked the mountains and the downtown area in Salida better.

Creede is not close to Salida, it is south and west and at least two to three hours away.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:17 AM

62 posts, read 235,991 times
Default I actually wonder

Quote:

Thank you!!!
I actually wonder why you hate the people of Texas . I did not know that I was supposed to hate them. Are there any other people I need to hate ?

Also, I googled Texas monument in Colorado but nothing came up .

Old 02-03-2007, 09:04 AM

108 posts, read 344,309 times
Default tongue in cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by javak View Post
I actually wonder why you hate the people of Texas . I did not know that I was supposed to hate them. Are there any other people I need to hate ?

Also, I googled Texas monument in Colorado but nothing came up .
Actually, this information is dated.
We used to dislike Texans, They came into town - Talked funny, Told us that nothing was as good as Texas, Spent their money and left.
Then we got Californians, They came into town - Talked funny, Told us that
nothing was as good as California, Bought everything in sight, and won't leave.
We never knew how good we had it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado