U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:42 AM

182 posts, read 689,335 times

Advertisements

I can't remember if I contributed to this thread or not, so I am going to jump in here. I live in the Sun Valley, Idaho area and haven't been to Pagosa in 7 years. From what I have seen here and remember there, I think that Pagosa is what this area used to be like years ago before they decided to jack up the prices so high for home sales that it is impossible to live here anymore. You can't touch a home here in the area for less than 500K and that's the bottom end. It appears that you can get more for your money in PG. I am seriously thinking of relocating there. We get about the same amount of days of sunshine as they do. One drawback is that we have a paved bike trail here void of cars that goes for miles which is excellent. I just feel like there both similiar but more affordable to purchase there than here. Also it seems that it is $200.00 cheaper to fly from Durango to say, Orange County, Calif., than from here to Calif.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 10:37 AM

88 posts, read 272,325 times
I hear you. I've been going to Sun Valley since I was kid. Everyone from Seattle goes to Sun Valley. I only lived there one winter though and that was a long time ago.

McCall was nice, but I wanted out of there before my daughter started school, and when my brother moved his family to Bend, it seemed like the smart move. I was lucky to be able to buy a house here, but not lucky enough to find work as a single mom. So I started my own business just over a year ago and yay for me, it is finally picking up. It cost me a lot though and after living in Bend for over 2 years now, I can say that I am not that motivated to keep working my you-know-what off to be here.

I started looking around at places I liked, places I thought would be good for my daughter and myself, and a place I could still afford to buy property, a house, something. Pagosa fit all the criteria, except for the bike path. I know what you mean about the bike path, but that is the way it goes.

Pagosa has at least good schools, affordable skiing, and when you leave Pagosa to go somewhere, you have a lot of choices...Durango, Moab, Sante Fe, Taos, and of course, you can ge to the Front Range if you need to.

I think it will be a good move for us, and even though we are leaving our family behind, they can come and visit if they want. Flying into Durango or Albuquerque isn't the most convenient for my mom, but compared to trying to get to McCall or Sun Valley, it shouldn't be so bad.

I am really hoping the mtn biking will be good there, at least I know there are trails there and Durango isn't too bad!

I wish you the best of luck with your decision to move out of Sun Valley. I love it there and there is a Spanish Immersion school in Hailey I've been looking at for some time, but I just can't afford it there and I am pretty ready to get to some really high mtns, like the San Juans.

It is nice to hear all of your thoughts, keep 'em coming!

Old 03-29-2007, 10:52 AM

Yup, your right. Actually, I live in Hailey now and have lived in Colorado 4 times before, Coeur D' Alene, McCall, Jackson Hole Wy., the desert of Calif, ( Palm Desert), looked around at alot of places and I think that I can get over the bike path not being in Pagosa. Yes, there are mountain bike trails in Pagosa to ride on. I like the idea of getting in on the ground level sort of to speak of in Pagosa. Price is right, your in the mountains right away from town, as an alternative medicine doc and energy conscious person, I like the fact that they have that mind set there also as well as homes that are off the grid, and use greenhouses. The hospital is going in which will brind in more families. The hot springs is a big plus for health reasons.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:58 AM

88 posts, read 272,325 times
Ahhh, the hot springs. I've already decided I am going to buy an annual pass for my daughter and myself.

We've lived in a lot of the same places!

My mom lives in Palm Desert, I once looked at Driggs to move to, and Sandpoint, but ended up in McCall, which was perfect for the time I was there.

I like the idea that there is an alternative mindset in Pagosa, with the Buddhist retreat and some alternative therapists and practioners as well.

Are you going to open up a practice? I am leaving my ND behind here in Bend.

Best wishes to you!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:21 AM

Probably so. Check your private messages from me.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:01 AM

476 posts, read 2,123,771 times
Hi gang, just wanted to say that Pagosa has an awesome lake called Williams Lake out in the wilderness and is beautiful. I miss that lake. It is so peaceful. It isnt the easiest to get to but worth it. Also lots to do in hiking. You can hike forever around there in the Pagosa area. I see mountain bikers in the area and know Durango is a major mtn biking center. I also like the alternative health lifestyle in the area, a major plus for me. I have met people all over the world in Pagosa and it must be well known in Europe because alot of Europeans go there and the hot springs is well known in Europe. The Europeans are more aware of the healing waters of hot springs which isnt as well known in the states for some reason.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:05 AM

Thanks, good info. Can you reccommend any good sub-divisions that are better than others to pruchase a home in and why?

Old 03-31-2007, 12:41 AM

476 posts, read 2,123,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc57 View Post
Thanks, good info. Can you reccommend any good sub-divisions that are better than others to pruchase a home in and why?
On the west side of Pagosa there are alot of new homes going up in that area. It is a nice area. I think they call that area Pagosa Lakes area. Is that right Althea? They also have alot of lots for sale out that way where you can buy the land and build your own house. That is good for someone who may just want to get in on living there to have land and build later. I dont know much about the subdivisions but when you are there, you will see what I am talking about. I would love to buy some land myself and build my own home, oh well, I can dream. Anyway, the area is really a pretty area. So to sum up, look on the west side. I wouldnt rule out any area in Pagosa though but just a general suggestion to look on the west side, where you can find a home or land.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:10 AM

Ok, Thanks for the info.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:09 PM

101 posts, read 422,281 times
I used to be a Delivery Driver in the Pagosa Area (AKA little texas)
If I were to buy/build in pagosa I'd probably choose something off or
tujillo rd(CR 500) Southwest of Pagosa Proper. Its beautiful and secluded.

Most everyone in the 400+miles of roads I've covered in and around Pagosa
were originally from the Texas/Ok/ areas, they try to hide the accent but it
comes through no matter how hard they try. The area is growing fast, and
the builders know it(its a gold mine for them) In my area 75-100homes
were under contruction in the last 2 years...

Its a nice area, and if your just looking for a place to build and live for 2
years you would probably be guarenteed a nice return on that investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado