U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:33 PM

16 posts, read 67,151 times

Advertisements

Husband will be working in Durango; I think Pagosa will be too far. Where can we be living close in to Durango and still afford a house for our one income, newspaper-salary family of four?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 01:26 PM

108 posts, read 344,309 times
Tough order.

Possibly Ignacio, Co or Aztec, NM.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:01 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,785,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wester View Post
Husband will be working in Durango; I think Pagosa will be too far. Where can we be living close in to Durango and still afford a house for our one income, newspaper-salary family of four?
Nowhere, really.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:41 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,508,323 times
Althea I've read your posts and we think alike in many ways. I wanted to search for the perfect place - I have lived all over but my undergrad school Cal Berkeley, is probably the best indicator of my personality and attitudes (cept I'm not liberal on many fiscal issues).

What I've concluded from living all over Cal, FL, LV, Texas, NY and CT is that there is no place that is near perfect all year long. Therefore I've have changed my focus to find two contrasting places that together, would make a for a rich and diverse existance.

For the winter and school year I picked and live in Rockport, TX. Its an art and wildlife area and even the fools who voted for Bush are environmentalists here. Its really odd. There is no air pollution, or traffic and its extremely safe and scenic. I live right on the ocean ( ok 55 ft back). The schools are good but there were some issues and I got angry and ran against the Pres of the School Board in May and won.

The problem is SUMMER. Although we get an ocean breeze its still too hot and humid. Even my kids escape to be with their moms -summertime.

So... I need a place to live summers and I've pretty much narrowed it down so to speak - of within 100 miles west of I-25 in Colorado. Guess I'll take my little sweetie ( she willbe 8) up there in August and look around ... again

Good luck Althea

Steve in Rockport

Old 06-21-2009, 12:48 AM

14 posts, read 28,864 times
Thumbs up Moving to Pagosa Springs?

I am curious to find out if the woman asking about Pagosa Springs ever moved there...it is the most beautiful, restful, healty, gorgeous place we have ever been to in Colorado. We just started going there two years ago...and we also fell in love with the place. They are building in the area, but it isn't a huge production...with Wolf Creek Pass having a ski area now, I'm sure the townhomes or apartments we can see from the highway, but tucked up against a mountain, are for the ski personnel, OR just for the other young people working in the town...

I would pick Pagosa Springs over Durango ANY day...Durango is a tourist town...Pagosa is a Resort Town now...but they are keeping it down, so far anyway. I pray the big money corporations don't turn it into a Dillon or a Vail or an Aspen...Pagosa is not any of those places...and we need to fight to keep it as fresh and unspoiled as possible. Tough to do when you don't live there but wish you did.

Practically any place you would want to live in Colorado is going to be high...especially mountain property. But if I were younger, I would be moving my happy little body to Pagosa Springs! Beauty at its finest. Nature at its Best!

The road to Durango is direct from Pagosa...it can take like about 45 minutes to an hour to drive it...but I would certainly check Pagosa Springs out. Stay at the Pagosa Lodge if you go there...they have really fixed this place up to be a wonderful resort. Its supposed to be a motel...but there is another place in town right next to the Lodge that is a resort too...so this will be something you will find a lot of from now on, I feel.

While we were eating breakfast in this really great place called the Junction Restaurant, I found a magazine, Pagosa Springs Official Visitor Guide...and on the bottom front in big letters...FREE...I am holding it on my lap as I type...we just came back from there today...LOVE that place.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:37 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,840,183 times
Pagosa is a nice place....no doubt about it. Visiting there at this time of the year and living there in the winter are two different things however. That 45 minute trip to Durango can easily be twice as long or even longer in the winter. I would advise anyone with a desire to live in Pagosa...rent first, live thru a winter and see how you feel about it after your first full year there. If you still love the place, then go for it full steam ahead.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 06-22-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 AM

182 posts, read 689,335 times
I live in Pagosa and alot of what is said about it is true. It is very scenic, but not alot to do as far as culture is concerned. You are NOT going to want to drive to Durango in the winter as it's just a pain and a good chance of hitting elk or deer on the hwy.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,829,143 times
We visited Pagosa Springs a couple of years ago and went to church in the timeshare village. We were just visiting and had no desire to move there, but one person let us know that they were getting to the point that water might be a problem if too many more people moved in. It was done in a very nice way, but we got a chuckle out of it.

Then she told us about going outside her home and meeting a bear in her yard. If I had been considering a move there, that would have done it for me. We have had deer and possums in our yard, but a bear is a really big destructive animal.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:56 AM

182 posts, read 689,335 times
water shortage is not a problem here and bears don't show up, that's rare.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 PM

147 posts, read 560,245 times
Agree that a water shortage here is not in the near future, although our local water district would like you to think otherwise.

Bears however are not necessarily a rare sighting, depending what part of town you live in. Here in Pagosa Lakes they are not that uncommon and every year there are a few spotted out on the golf course. We've had one run in between our house and the neighbors and then down the street. I've also encountered one while I was walking up the hill of our back yard that was roaming around in the trees. Thank goodness it ran off when it saw me as I was too scared to remember what to do.

All the more reason to remember to not leave your garbage cans out, to clean your BBQ grill, etc., etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado