U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2015, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
82 posts, read 64,673 times
Reputation: 93

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
There's a lot of people moving out of Colorado because its gotten too expensive. They say the number one reason is legal marijuana and everyone moved in. I called an old friend in Denver and he said "omg do not come here on april 20th! Everyone in the world will be here."
I have a video on my phone from where I was standing in the middle of the crows in civic center park facing the colorado state capitol. The sky turns grey/black at 4:20PM on the dot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2015, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,170 posts, read 20,925,567 times
Reputation: 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
The biggest change I've noticed is the amount of bums everywhere has increased 10 fold.
You live in Colorado Springs and my understanding is they have not seen as big a economic impact from it as Denver and Pueblo has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2015, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Rust'n in Tustin
1,924 posts, read 2,283,549 times
Reputation: 3280
I heard that local pizza places can't keep up with the demand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2015, 10:02 PM
 
170 posts, read 181,329 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I heard that local pizza places can't keep up with the demand
The Denver area has a popular pizza chain called Papa Murphy's. Not only do they not deliver, it's also take-and-bake. No ovens! And a family size pie is roughly $14. Ha IMO that pretty much eliminates every reason to order pizza from them! At least most of the chicks that I know who used to work there are super hot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2015, 10:08 AM
 
825 posts, read 1,598,687 times
Reputation: 1239
I believe I can discern a difference between a pervasive noxious odor and the chance viewing of someone sitting quietly in a restaurant with their head bowed.

It is far from clear that "weed" is paying its own way. The full costs to society will likely not be known for decades. The costs may be large, or they may be small, but there is no way to know yet.

Oh, and compulsory tithes levied by the state were abolished in this country, oh, 200 years ago or so.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-25-2015 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2015, 10:46 AM
 
3,116 posts, read 862,377 times
Reputation: 2453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post

It is far from clear that "weed" is paying its own way. The full costs to society will likely not be known for decades. The costs may be large, or they may be small, but there is no way to know yet.
I have a different viewpoint on that. "Weed" has been strongly engrained in our society for going on 50 years. Millions have been using it that whole time.

On the other hand, the war against it has cost many millions of lives, destroyed many thousands of families, and overall it has cost society much, much more than any damage the plant could ever do.

So I plagiarized your comment:

The full benefit [of legalization] to society will likely not be known for decades. The benefits may be large, or they may be small, but there is no way to know yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2015, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,889 posts, read 6,465,469 times
Reputation: 7346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
I believe I can discern a difference between a pervasive noxious odor and the chance viewing of someone sitting quietly in a restaurant with their head bowed.

It is far from clear that "weed" is paying its own way. The full costs to society will likely not be known for decades. The costs may be large, or they may be small, but there is no way to know yet.

Oh, and compulsory tithes levied by the state were abolished in this country, oh, 200 years ago or so.
I can't think of any world where trying and incarcerating drug users is less expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 01:37 PM
 
6 posts, read 7,974 times
Reputation: 21
In Durango there has been an influx of "homeless by choice" hobos, who beg for money to get high all day with no desire to get a job or take food donations. They live in our parks and trash our national forests with their tent villages, their trash attracts bears and one hobo kid got attacked so bad he was hospitalized. It sucks because the bears eventually get hunted and killed by the DOW. gets really bad in the Summer, not too bad now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2015, 03:42 PM
 
Location: OKLAHOMA
1,783 posts, read 3,597,088 times
Reputation: 939
It was a turn off to me to see homeless people in the parking lot of The Walmart in Trinidad on the Raton Pass. My husband commented on why Walmart allowed it AND then we walked pass a pot shop practically next door to The Walmart and quite close to our hotel all on the Colorado side of the Raton Pass. Basically, that was the welcome sign into Colorado from New Mexico. It seemed strange to me. I didn't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2015, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,213 posts, read 24,259,955 times
Reputation: 12896
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
It was a turn off to me to see homeless people in the parking lot of The Walmart in Trinidad on the Raton Pass. My husband commented on why Walmart allowed it AND then we walked pass a pot shop practically next door to The Walmart and quite close to our hotel all on the Colorado side of the Raton Pass. Basically, that was the welcome sign into Colorado from New Mexico. It seemed strange to me. I didn't like it.
It's a shame that Trinidad has to be the "beneficiary" of this, but they could just as well take advantage like Nevada does with casinos, and Wyoming does with fireworks and whatever vice Utah doesn't allow.

Imagine the billboards they could put up every 5 miles along I-25 between Las Vegas and Raton.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top