U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,777,045 times

Advertisements

If you were someone who liked both the hustle and bustle and the things you can do and see in a city, BUT also loved the outdoors and wanted to be close to the mountains and hiking, etc and really wanted to see mountain type areas, what place in CO would you recommend to visit?

This would be a place where you could have both the city and mountains in perhaps LESS than a 30 min drive apart if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 06:14 PM

6,525 posts, read 10,194,145 times
How much are you willing/able to spend on housing? Generally speaking the closer you are to the mountains the more it's going to cost.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:18 PM

650 posts, read 564,243 times
Maybe Boulder?

Old 10-14-2015, 07:23 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,618,037 times
OP, just to clarify, you are talking about a visit to Colorado?

What time of year and for how long? What do you mean by "see the mountain type areas"? Are you planning on renting a car and driving to the mountains for the day?

Old 10-14-2015, 07:43 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,777,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
OP, just to clarify, you are talking about a visit to Colorado?

What time of year and for how long? What do you mean by "see the mountain type areas"? Are you planning on renting a car and driving to the mountains for the day?

It would be a visit to Colorado. And since im going to assume everywhere is more expensive in the middle of summer, I would say late Spring time for a visit (May).I love seeing the Mountains, and wouldn't mind a drive to see them, and perhaps do some hiking. In my area and surrounding states, the highest mountain is 6,288 feet high. I'm gonna assume Colorado has Mt's twice that size I would love to visit and perhaps do a moderate hike and also photograph the mountains.

I don't want to be secluded, so I don't want to stay in some small town that has 2 stores or something. LOL So actually yes I will rent a car, and hopefully don't want to drive more than...well lets say 30-45min to get to some nice mountain areas. Thanks for any info!

Oh...and I'd be staying for a week, and would like to pay no more than $225 a night...if possible.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:54 PM

13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
Frisco.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:07 PM

6,525 posts, read 10,194,145 times
Apologies. I blew through the post and overlooked the "visit" part. Woodland Park or Manitou Springs. Close to Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak. Plus it's only an hour or so from the Sawatch Range (which contains 4 of the Top 5 highest peaks in the state) - all of which are easy-ish Class 1 or Class 2 hikes.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:09 PM

825 posts, read 1,604,632 times
Perhaps a word about time and distance are in order here.

The mountains have mountain roads - winding, hilly, twisting, and not always paved. From my house here in the mountains it is three miles to the nearest paved road, or 10 minutes in good weather. Or, to pick an admittedly extreme example, the nineteen mile long road up Pikes Peak takes about an hour to drive, again in good conditions.

My point is that thirty minutes or so may not take you very far anywhere in the mountains. It really depends upon what you want to see or do. Colorado Springs is on the side of Pikes Peak and you can be "in the mountains" without leaving the city limits. Leaving Boulder up towards Nederland puts one "in the mountains" almost immediately. But to get to some of the better trailheads or parks will take some time, no matter what city you start from.

Perhaps if you could be more specific on what you want to do or see someone could be more helpful. Scenic drives? Hiking? Scenic spots? State or National Parks? And just how much hustle and bustle is required? City of 50,000? 100,000? A million? (the last one is easy - Denver).

Old 10-14-2015, 08:13 PM

56 posts, read 51,785 times
Keep in mind that many places in the mountains will not be accessible at the time of year you're planning to visit.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:45 PM

92 posts, read 61,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
It would be a visit to Colorado. And since im going to assume everywhere is more expensive in the middle of summer, I would say late Spring time for a visit (May).I love seeing the Mountains, and wouldn't mind a drive to see them, and perhaps do some hiking. In my area and surrounding states, the highest mountain is 6,288 feet high. I'm gonna assume Colorado has Mt's twice that size I would love to visit and perhaps do a moderate hike and also photograph the mountains.

I don't want to be secluded, so I don't want to stay in some small town that has 2 stores or something. LOL So actually yes I will rent a car, and hopefully don't want to drive more than...well lets say 30-45min to get to some nice mountain areas. Thanks for any info!

Oh...and I'd be staying for a week, and would like to pay no more than $225 a night...if possible.
Summer in CO is not what you think it is. On the front range it starts to get warm in April but up in the mountains there is still a significant amount of snow. Spring time is very variable. Warm days followed by random storms which can include significant snowfall or thunderstorms. On the front range it always melts quickly though. If you want city life, there is only really one place for that which is Denver. Why visit CO to see it's cities though? CO is special for it's geography. By May it's already starting to get hot down there. Spring on the front range is generally nice if you aren't getting storms. You can hike and bike the front range. Summer is brutally hot. It's the worst time of year in my opinion. It's like an oven. Fall and winter are the nicest.

Up in the mountains spring feel like late winter. You have shorts and t-shirt skiing during the day. The sun is strong but still snow everywhere. You can still have snow storms with significant snowfall. Generally it's melting during the day, cold at night. Believe it or not but March is the snowiest month in CO. Not any hiking in the high country for a while. You have to wait until July to really get into summer activities. Summer temps in the mountains can still be in the 70s. I've seen it snow at upper elevations in August before. Thunderstorms are prevalent all over CO in the summer/spring. Scary lightening and hail. Once everything melts, it's beautiful though. That transitional period is not a great time to be up there. Late April, May, and early June are the slow season. I used to go on vacation that time of year as there isn't much to do. Early fall and late summer are the nicest times of year up there if you want to hike, etc. Winter is peak season with skiing and winter activities.

If I was going to visit I would go in winter or late summer early fall. September/October on the front range is heaven.

Last edited by FrontierMan; 10-18-2015 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado