U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:28 AM

22,660 posts, read 16,150,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybug View Post
Thanks for some honest insight, davebarnes. Surely, we vegan "nutjobs" aren't that terrible . I'm not the "throw blood on your fur" type of vegan. Maybe plant-based sounds more friendly? Yes, I can see what you mean regarding the school districts. The dryness...well...I'm not sure how that will work out; but, is it worse than living in the humidity of Satan's armpit?
The dryness affects people differently. Some can tolerate it with a decent amount of water and moisturizer (I am one of those). Others have a much harder time.

Either way, no, it is NOT worse than that humidity.

But, how do you feel about snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 06:20 PM

199 posts, read 179,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The dryness affects people differently. Some can tolerate it with a decent amount of water and moisturizer (I am one of those). Others have a much harder time.

Either way, no, it is NOT worse than that humidity.

But, how do you feel about snow?
I think snow will be fine. I have family in Kentucky and North Carolina and visited in all seasons as I was growing up. I'm not sure we will want to live in an area where it snows for the rest of our lives, but it will be perfectly fine for at least a few years . We have no intention of buying a home, so that leaves us open to more mobility.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Your body will adapt to the altitude. That is why the USOC is located in Colorado Springs. With the growth taking place, there is employment for construction trades and teachers in areas, but those that are growing the most with the most employment opportunities also tend to have increasing costs of living to go with them.

I'd question whether Colorado is the best home base for exploring the west coast. Denver is in the middle of no where. it is a full, long day's drive to Salt Lake City, Kansas City, or Phoenix or the bustling metropolis of Sheridan Wyoming. You also have the tallest natural barrier in the continental US directly west that can stall or impede travel plans depending on weather. It would take a second full, long day to get to the west coast after reaching SLC or Phoenix.

Yes, COS does seem to be a close match demographically and economically to Port St Lucia, with perhaps the languages being less diverse. It is a bit larger though as El Paso county is over half a million. Politics in COS do tend to lean more conservative than you may be used to. It certainly could use more moderates in its ranks and there are some liberal politics sprouting up here and there but it isn't like we have tetotaling bible thumpers proselytizing on every corner or at every public function. We do have a very large military and governmental presence in town though. School districts do tend to be arbitrarily carved out of the residential areas with no rhyme or reason.

Has any mentioned its dry here? Seriously dry. The predominate color of colorful Colorado along the front range is actually more of a tan. Things do green up with the spring rains, but usually start turning tan around early June and are crispy brown and yellow by the end of summer. Metro areas do irrigate regularly and it isn't a wasteland, but you get out into rural areas and the greenness slowly fades. One upside to that dryness, no rampant mold and mildew and it severely limits how big bugs can grow.
Thank you for highlighting some great points. Yes, the dryness seems to be a big topic. Your comment about "colorful Colorado" had me laughing. I do love trees and would love to find an area that has developed the neighborhood in a way that it has the appearance of greenery, but I will accept if I cannot find such a thing. I like the idea of outdoor activities without bugs. My husband and I have been camping here in Florida where there have literally been buzzing clouds of miniature mosquitos hovering. Bugs, bugs, and bugs abound here in Florida.

Do you recommend any other other states as a good home base to explore the west coast? We don't want to be too isolated, but we like nature. California seems to have a wonderful geography, but it just seems much too expensive. Either way...there is definitely quite a bit to consider. Thank you, again!

Old 10-16-2015, 06:54 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,612,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybug View Post
I think snow will be fine. I have family in Kentucky and North Carolina and visited in all seasons as I was growing up. I'm not sure we will want to live in an area where it snows for the rest of our lives, but it will be perfectly fine for at least a few years . We have no intention of buying a home, so that leaves us open to more mobility.
I'm sorry but anywhere in Colorado can easily get more snow in 1 snowfall than those states average in a year. Outside of major blizzards day to day life continues regardless of temperature or a snow storm coming in, and by blizzard I mean 2 feet of snow and high winds. The snow both living in the weather and driving in it as well as overall weather is not something to take lightly.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I'm sorry but anywhere in Colorado can easily get more snow in 1 snowfall than those states average in a year. Outside of major blizzards day to day life continues regardless of temperature or a snow storm coming in, and by blizzard I mean 2 feet of snow and high winds. The snow both living in the weather and driving in it as well as overall weather is not something to take lightly.
I've been through at least four hurricanes and several tropical storms. Hurricane Andrew leveled Homestead, Florida and many others caused quite a bit of flooding and damage. Our rainfall floods our entire area every year where people drive cars into ditches and sink them because parking lots are so flooded. Our back porch has been removed by hurricane winds, twisted into a pretzel, and deposited in our neighbor's yard. I don't take any weather event "lightly". I'm not sure why you got that indication.

Last edited by Shellybug; 10-16-2015 at 08:09 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 09:16 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,065,427 times
I don't notice the dryness. I grew up here so it feels pretty normal to me. However, my Boss at my last company I worked for would fly in from New Jersey every month for a day or two, and he drank water like it was going out of style. He constantly complained about the dryness, so I take it that most folks from humid areas will really notice the change.

Colorful Colorado...its on all the signs (used to be on our license plates too) posted on the interstate highways entering the state. Ironically, it is usually sitting on the side of a grey highway surrounded by brown weeds. However, once you get off the plains and into the mountains, the scenary definetly changes.

In the major cities, there is plenty of irrigation to support trees. IMO, probably more than we should have. There are lots of parks, grass, and trees in most metro areas. Certainly the newer the development, the smaller the trees. There are some pretty big trees in more central areas of most cities, but these usually come with a price tag. Careful shopping can next some bargains, but most of these will tend to be somewhat spendy.

Other places for a base, well, there are a lot of decent sized cities through out the Rockies and the west. If you want more liberal politics, maybe Las Vegas or somewhere in southern Oregon like Medford? I guess it kind of depends on extensively you want to explore the west. Or for that matter, the Rockies. IMO, they are different. Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico are decidely different than Washington, Oregon, Nevada, California and Arizona.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I don't notice the dryness. I grew up here so it feels pretty normal to me. However, my Boss at my last company I worked for would fly in from New Jersey every month for a day or two, and he drank water like it was going out of style. He constantly complained about the dryness, so I take it that most folks from humid areas will really notice the change.

Colorful Colorado...its on all the signs (used to be on our license plates too) posted on the interstate highways entering the state. Ironically, it is usually sitting on the side of a grey highway surrounded by brown weeds. However, once you get off the plains and into the mountains, the scenary definetly changes.

In the major cities, there is plenty of irrigation to support trees. IMO, probably more than we should have. There are lots of parks, grass, and trees in most metro areas. Certainly the newer the development, the smaller the trees. There are some pretty big trees in more central areas of most cities, but these usually come with a price tag. Careful shopping can next some bargains, but most of these will tend to be somewhat spendy.

Other places for a base, well, there are a lot of decent sized cities through out the Rockies and the west. If you want more liberal politics, maybe Las Vegas or somewhere in southern Oregon like Medford? I guess it kind of depends on extensively you want to explore the west. Or for that matter, the Rockies. IMO, they are different. Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico are decidely different than Washington, Oregon, Nevada, California and Arizona.
Initially, I like the idea of having access to two decent cities in CO, Boulder and Denver. I've never lived in a metro area, but I have vacationed in NYC several times and like the walking vibe, although that city is much too busy for me to live there. I like that we could drive to Santa Fe (I've never been, but my husband has and liked it). We would likely fly to Washington State, Oregon, or California and just make those planned vacations over a few years.

The nice thing about Florida is that we have the Caribbean very close, as well as the Florida Keys, which is really nice; but, truthfully, we have taken advantage of that about three times in our whole lives in Florida. Lots of theme park trips, historical Saint Augustine, etc. Do many people vacation in Mexico in CO? Hawaii, maybe, for the tropical "fix"? Seattle and Portland look like interesting cities, but they look gloomy as well. I'm not sure if that is just a stereotype or if it is true.

We are politically liberal, but we are just hitting our 40s, so we aren't looking for crazy nightlife or anything. We are actually pretty boring. We just want to live in an area that has interesting stuff to do. I guess we are kind of nerds too, so the idea of possibly going to Comic Con yearly is a plus .

Old 10-16-2015, 09:58 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,964,517 times
Medford is a pretty good location for outings if you are willing to drive up to a couple hundred miles to visit Portland, Bend, OR outback, Mt Shasta, northern Sierras, Reno, OR and Cali coast.

Boise is within a day's drive of Northwest and Rockies destinations and of course Idaho's diversity too. It has the advantage of cheap Southwest Airlines flights to other western hubs and back east.

Seattle and Portland have great dry, not too warm weather 4-6 months of the year. From late fall to late spring, the shorter days, cloud cover and frequent and long duration drizzle gets to some. Others continue on, appreciate the greenery and not much snow in town.

When CO folks take winter vacations it is commonly to Mexico, Hawaii, southern CA, Vegas, Arizona and perhaps the Texas Coast. Or back east to see relatives. Florida and the Caribbean surely pull some too.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-16-2015 at 10:13 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Medford is a pretty good location for outings if you are willing to drive up to a couple hundred miles to visit Portland, Bend, OR outback, Mt Shasta, northern Sierras, Reno, OR and Cali coast.

Boise is within a day's drive of Northwest and Rockies destinations and of course Idaho's diversity too. It has the advantage of cheap Southwest Airlines flights to other western hubs and back east.

Seattle and Portland have great dry, not too warm weather 4-6 months of the year. From late fall to late spring, the shorter days, cloud cover and frequent and long duration drizzle gets to some. Others continue on, appreciate the greenery and not much snow in town.

When CO folks take winter vacations it is commonly to Mexico, Hawaii, southern CA, Vegas, Arizona and perhaps the Texas Coast. Or back east to see relatives. Florida and the Caribbean surely pull some too.

Thanks for the great info! We definitely don't mind driving. We are centrally located in Florida, but we have to drive to get anywhere interesting. Three hours to Tampa, Saint Augustine, Miami. Six hours to Tallahassee. Eight hours to Key West. Two hours to Orlando. And we do this two weekends a month just to get out of our beautiful, but terribly mundane, town .

Old 10-16-2015, 10:59 PM

86,853 posts, read 102,200,934 times
My goodness, the "Negative Neds" and "Negative Nellies" have certainly taken over this thread! Some of the snarkier comments have come from people who have actually lived here for 35 years or so.

Re: the snow-maybe it's because I came here from Illinois, but I don't find the snow here (Louisville, Boulder County, part of the Denver metro) that bad. These 2 foot blizzards only happen every few years, not weekly or monthly. (They do happen more in the mountains.) For the most part it is sunny, dry and above freezing in the winter. There are usually days in January in the 60s. Colorado Springs has even less snow. A little weather info for Denver: Denver Colorado Weather & Denver Climate Information

If the OPs are looking for a liberal area, I would not particularly recommend Colorado Springs. It's true that it's not as conservative as some make it out to be, but it's hardly liberal by any standards. Denver, Boulder and some of the mountain communities are far more liberal.

We moved here in our early 30s OP, and still live here 35 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado