U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 09:48 AM

31 posts, read 38,799 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you guys are having the same problem we're having down here. I appreciate everyone's comments and I will be looking into buena vista and salida the next time I am overthere.
All those places don't look to fair from the area I am looking into. Either way coming from where I'm coming any place up there will probably do just fine I just need to find out about work and schools for my kiddos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 12:42 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,079,489 times
FWIW, its already snowing in the high country.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:59 AM

19 posts, read 25,373 times
From my past 25 years living in the Fairplay area, I can tell you that this is not the place for you. The winters are long, cold, snowy, windy, and awful for driving in if you aren't used to it. The workforce here is next to nothing. Most of the people in the area commute to Summit County (over an 11,500ft mountain pass) for their jobs. This drive can easily take an hour and a half in the snow, one way.

Another common occurrence here are the ground blizzards. This is when the strong wind coming over the Mosquito Range to the west comes down and picks up the massive amounts of snow on the ground and creates a blinding snowstorm-like blizzard. These are especially dangerous to drive in, and can also keep you from being able to leave your home.

Another thing you may want to consider is lower elevation. Coming from Florida to Colorado is going to make you very aware of your lungs and how much air you can process at the elevations in the state. The air is much thinner.

There is very little industry or commerce here. The type of work you seek probably doesn't exist in Park County. If it does, you'd be lucky to apply at a time they need workers, as these positions are usually filled by locals that have personal connections with the employer.

These are all things to keep in mind. Good luck on your relocation.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:53 AM

31 posts, read 20,493 times
Default SouthPark

This is a "reality" post with good "truthful" information. We bought a cabin (home) near Jefferson(down 77)about a year ago. It didn't take long to figure out that it's a great place to visit(extended stays)(especially May-October) but would take some getting used(and preparation) in winter to live there. It is the plan eventually for me to spend the greater percentage of my time out there (but that plan doesn't include working or relying on employment) the winters would for sure keep my wife from any fulltime commitment out there for now racking up frequent flyer and rental car points from DIA until I can figure alternative to that but I love the area and culture and can't wait to get back out everytime I have to leave (and go back to our other home) I have left SUV at cabin (fulltime) so once I'm there no problem getting around we plan to build (garage) but vehicle outside now see what the winter does to it this year

Old 11-23-2015, 02:38 PM

31 posts, read 20,493 times
Default Info

clarification-when I indicated "reality" and truthful I was refering to all the previous posters on this topic (not mine) very informative from my perspective

Old 02-09-2016, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 529 times
Sounds to me that you would be someone who will do well no matter where you go. Best Wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or