U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 03:13 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,499,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretriever1234 View Post
This is how I'll look at it, okay. North Denver, I'll refer to as Thornton or Northglenn. East Denver, I'll just refer to that as East Denver. West Denver, I'll refer to that as Wheat Ridge. South Denver, I'll refer to that as Englewood. Better? Only place s/he would be better off in "Denver" is East Denver. Other than that, I'd still say Loveland is the safest of all these areas.
The geographic area I listed is only Denver proper. The suburbs you are listing are not included.

Again, I think you are making a meaningless comparison.

Lakewood is 42.5 square miles by itself.
Arvada is 35.76 square miles.
Aurora is another 154 square miles.

To answer the OP's question, I would say overall that the entire area is quite safe. There are some sketchier areas in some parts of Denver, Aurora, and Commerce City, but overall there is very little to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 03:21 PM

139 posts, read 159,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The geographic area I listed is only Denver proper. The suburbs you are listing are not included.

Again, I think you are making a meaningless comparison.

To answer the OP's question, I would say overall that the entire area is quite safe. There are some sketchier areas in some parts of Denver, Aurora, and Commerce City, but overall there is very little to worry about.
Well, if her/his job is in west Denver (more toward Wheat Ridge), and they have to live over there (or more toward Englewood), then there IS something to worry about. I stayed at a hotel in south Denver not far from Englewood before and had my car broken into IN BROAD DAYLIGHT. Even if they were to live in the Stapleton or Montebello neighborhoods, Loveland, or even Boulder are still safer areas. The east side of Aurora is a slightly different story. I would feel much safer there than pretty much anywhere (in a bigger city, of course, nothing beats the small towns).

By the way, when I mentioned South Denver, North Denver, West Denver, and East Denver, I WAS referring to Denver city proper. I was simply stating that any area in Denver is not as safe as Loveland.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:03 PM

4,875 posts, read 9,619,939 times
Quote:
Well, if her/his job is in west Denver (more toward Wheat Ridge), and they have to live over there (or more toward Englewood), then there IS something to worry about. I stayed at a hotel in south Denver not far from Englewood before and had my car broken into IN BROAD DAYLIGHT. Even if they were to live in the Stapleton or Montebello neighborhoods, Loveland, or even Boulder are still safer areas. The east side of Aurora is a slightly different story. I would feel much safer there than pretty much anywhere (in a bigger city, of course, nothing beats the small towns).

By the way, when I mentioned South Denver, North Denver, West Denver, and East Denver, I WAS referring to Denver city proper. I was simply stating that any area in Denver is not as safe as Loveland.
Your posts make no sense. I wonder if you are really familiar at all with the Denver metro area.

In post #10, you say "North Denver, I'll refer to as Thornton or Northglenn. East Denver, I'll just refer to that as East Denver. West Denver, I'll refer to that as Wheat Ridge. South Denver, I'll refer to that as Englewood. Better? Only place s/he would be better off in "Denver" is East Denver." Now you say that you really were only referring to Denver city proper. So which is it? Thornton and Northglenn are suburbs with their own city limits, crime data, etc. As are Wheat Ridge, Englewood, etc. And were you calling Aurora "East Denver"?

As Sky Dog said, you are making meaningless comparisons. AND you are making sweeping statements about the whole City and County of Denver, without taking into consideration that there are many many many different areas within those city limits.

I hope that people reading this thread for knowledge realize that your posts don't have good information.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:05 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,513,200 times
I would say trust what SkyDog77 is saying. He knows this city well.

You cannot take the city as a whole and compare it with other areas for crime. Denver has so many different areas and there are differences in crime statistics as SkyDog77 is saying.

From my prospective, I think Denver is relatively safe in all the neighborhoods and I have been to them all. I am an ex New Yorker and compared to the some bad Eastern Cities, this is comparatively very safe. I did live in Harlem when it was very bad and nothing in Denver can compare to Harlem at that time.

Been here about 37 years and I feel comfortable and safe. I have never had a problem on buses or any area of the city. Yet, you do have to take precautions in any city. I do not hang out in bars. I do not go to certain areas at night. When I was younger, I tend to wander more around this city at all hours but my New Yorker in me taught me caution.

Now as a senior, I do not take these risk because I do not have the desire or the need--night time is for the young looking for excitement and sex--my happiness now is finding the bathroom in time.

I am actually a disabled senior and considered a person a risk for assault. Yet, I have found that I am less bothered then when I was young. Perhaps there is honor in not attacking an old disabled person. It is strange but in some not so nice areas near the downtown hospitals, I have been given help from drunk young toughs who picked me up when I fell and gave me back my wallet which dislodged from pocket.

There has been other numerous times I have been given help from those who could be perceive as dangerous but had concern for my welfare. Some of it has to be with my demeanor because I smile much and do not look down on others with derision. Blacks, Hispanics, Asian and poor whites--I engage them all with friendly openness. I learned much from living in Harlem--If you show and emanate hate, you will get hate.

Livecontent

Old 10-26-2015, 05:28 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,610,794 times
Off topic -> LiveContent, so nice to have you back posting again!

Old 10-26-2015, 07:18 PM

139 posts, read 159,186 times
Do any of you people even understand what I am trying to say!?!? I was simply stating that from MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I believe that Loveland or Boulder are safer than ANY part of Denver!!! How hard is that to figure out from my posts? I said that the north side of Denver (up toward Northglenn and Thornton), the south side (near Englewood), the west side (near Wheat Ridge), or the east side (more toward the Stapleton, Montbello, and DIA areas) are more ALL more dangerous than Loveland or Boulder. And now I was NOT calling Aurora, East Denver. I said that east AURORA seemed much nicer and safer than any parts of Denver or even Loveland. Please, read my posts, don't skim them, and then reply please.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Agree!

Old 10-26-2015, 08:11 PM

6,528 posts, read 10,197,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Agree!
LC and I don't always see eye-to-eye, but I third this. Glad you're doing alright!

Old 10-26-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Do any of you people even understand what I am trying to say!?!? I was simply stating that from MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I believe that Loveland or Boulder are safer than ANY part of Denver!!! How hard is that to figure out from my posts? I said that the north side of Denver (up toward Northglenn and Thornton), the south side (near Englewood), the west side (near Wheat Ridge), or the east side (more toward the Stapleton, Montbello, and DIA areas) are more ALL more dangerous than Loveland or Boulder. And now I was NOT calling Aurora, East Denver. I said that east AURORA seemed much nicer and safer than any parts of Denver or even Loveland. Please, read my posts, don't skim them, and then reply please.
I think you have been very clear. Just not correct.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:21 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,513,200 times
Quote:
You are the one who really does not understand or know the Denver metro area. Your description of Denver is all confusion and not how one really describes this metro area.

The term North Denver actually refers historically in Denver Culture and local language as the Northwest sector of the City, centered on West 38th. It is considered like someone talking about South Side of Chicago, Hell's Kitchen in New York. People often brag about growing up in North Denver.

North Denver is Contiguous with the Suburbs of Wheat Ridge. It is now highly gentrified and comparatively safer now than some time in the past. In those times it was not really so dangerous, just old. I know this area well as I have lived nearby just north for about 30 yrs.

You keep badgering the point that Loveland and Boulder are safer than any part of Denver. We understand what you are saying but you are wrong!

Loveland and Boulder are safer that some areas of Denver but not any part of Denver.

There are Denver neighborhoods, taken as separate entities, that are just as safe as these cities. There are neighborhoods that are more crime prone. Since Denver is so much bigger, it is divided by crime statistics that give a separate picture of each neighborhood. Loveland and Boulder are not so large and as such the whole city represents the statistics.

So why keep harping on this issue. You made your point. We made our point. Go on now and relax!

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or