U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 12:26 PM

256 posts, read 233,547 times

Advertisements

Young family looking to possibly relocate from Alaska to Colorado. Would like to be somewhere near Denver area, possibly Boulder, Longmont or Loveland - not entirely sure yet. Wife has family in the area and would be nice to cultivate a relationship with that side.

Love living up here, but the extreme cold in our location is rough on my wife. We regularly see temps below zero for about 5 weeks a year. She was in an auto accident requiring lots of metal in her body (spine). However, snow is still a must for the kiddo's, they love playing in it.

How is Denver area humidity?

Is there a lot to do for young families?

How is the school system?

How is the crime?

Any opinions on the Boulder area other than cost of housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 01:17 PM

13,941 posts, read 20,184,988 times
Where are your jobs? Addresses or cross streets?
Kids' ages?

Low humidity.
Low crime.
Plenty to do.

Schools A-F. Location dependent.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:30 PM

256 posts, read 233,547 times
Oldest will be five and youngest three when the move occurs. Wife is will be graduating as a certified medical assistant, and I am full time college student, but will graduate soon(ish). I'll be a process operator / technician, and will likely stay on the north slope of Alaska. We have a near 100% higher rate before even graduating and the pay is to dang good. Wiht worth two on and two off, I'll just make the flights.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:47 PM

139 posts, read 159,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
Young family looking to possibly relocate from Alaska to Colorado. Would like to be somewhere near Denver area, possibly Boulder, Longmont or Loveland - not entirely sure yet. Wife has family in the area and would be nice to cultivate a relationship with that side.

Love living up here, but the extreme cold in our location is rough on my wife. We regularly see temps below zero for about 5 weeks a year. She was in an auto accident requiring lots of metal in her body (spine). However, snow is still a must for the kiddo's, they love playing in it.

How is Denver area humidity?

Is there a lot to do for young families?

How is the school system?

How is the crime?

Any opinions on the Boulder area other than cost of housing?

Humidity in Denver area: Not too bad. Nothing like Houston, Miami, New York City

Young families activities: I would recommend Denver for that. I would avoid Boulder for that. Denver has Water World, Elitch Gardens (Denver's version of Six Flags) and plenty more. Boulder is a college town, known for the college nationwide. Nothing much for families in Boulder.

School system: Loveland probably has the best schools out of the cities you listed. They are all pretty good, but Longmont probably has the worst.

Crime: Denver is the worst by far, with Loveland and Boulder being the safest. Longmont falls in the middle.

My opinion on Boulder is a generally good one. However, I would recommend Loveland for your family.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:34 PM

6,902 posts, read 6,492,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretriever1234 View Post
Humidity in Denver area: Not too bad. Nothing like Houston, Miami, New York City

Young families activities: I would recommend Denver for that. I would avoid Boulder for that. Denver has Water World, Elitch Gardens (Denver's version of Six Flags) and plenty more. Boulder is a college town, known for the college nationwide. Nothing much for families in Boulder.

School system: Loveland probably has the best schools out of the cities you listed. They are all pretty good, but Longmont probably has the worst.

Crime: Denver is the worst by far, with Loveland and Boulder being the safest. Longmont falls in the middle.

My opinion on Boulder is a generally good one. However, I would recommend Loveland for your family.
Denver is a large area so saying Denver is the worst by far is really not accurate. Part of Denver have higher crime than others, but parts are incredibly safe. People don't pay $500,000 for just over 4,000 sq/ft of dirt if crime is a big problem.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Denver is a large area so saying Denver is the worst by far is really not accurate. Part of Denver have higher crime than others, but parts are incredibly safe. People don't pay $500,000 for just over 4,000 sq/ft of dirt if crime is a big problem.
Well, I really don't think Denver is a safer place than Boulder, Longmont, or Loveland. Look at the statistics. Out of these four cities, Denver is the worst. However, Denver is safer compared to say, Omaha, Miami, or Seattle.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Well, I really don't think Denver is a safer place than Boulder, Longmont, or Loveland. Look at the statistics. Out of these four cities, Denver is the worst. However, Denver is safer compared to say, Omaha, Miami, or Seattle.
Again, the specific part of Denver matters. Wash Park is not the same as Alameda and Federal, but when you say "Denver" both areas are being incorporated in to the data.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Again, the specific part of Denver matters. Wash Park is not the same as Alameda and Federal, but when you say "Denver" both areas are being incorporated in to the data.
So, are you inferring that all those neighborhoods should just split off into several different cities? Wow! I might see Stapleton as a city eventually!

Old 10-26-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
So, are you inferring that all those neighborhoods should just split off into several different cities? Wow! I might see Stapleton as a city eventually!
No, what I'm saying is you are making a meaningless comparison.

Longmont is 21.82 square miles.
Loveland is 25.52 square miles.
Boulder is 25.68 square miles.

Denver is 154.9 square miles.

Comparing the entire city's crime stats to these much smaller cities makes zero sense. It would make sense to compare the neighborhood and surrounding areas that s/he intends to live in if an apples to apples comparison is what s/he is after. Why would the higher crime rates in neighborhoods on the other side of town matter if s/he will never be there?

Old 10-26-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
No, what I'm saying is you are making a meaningless comparison.

Longmont is 21.82 square miles.
Loveland is 25.52 square miles.
Boulder is 25.68 square miles.

Denver is 154.9 square miles.

Comparing the entire city's crime stats to these much smaller cities makes zero sense. It would make sense to compare the neighborhood and surrounding areas that s/he intends to live in if an apples to apples comparison is what s/he is after. Why would the higher crime rates in neighborhoods on the other side of town matter if s/he will never be there?
This is how I'll look at it, okay. North Denver, I'll refer to as Thornton or Northglenn. East Denver, I'll just refer to that as East Denver. West Denver, I'll refer to that as Wheat Ridge. South Denver, I'll refer to that as Englewood. Better? Only place s/he would be better off in "Denver" is East Denver. Other than that, I'd still say Loveland is the safest of all these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or