U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Plains or Mountains?
Plains 15 39.47%
Mountains 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 12:55 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,211,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretriever1234 View Post
You clearly haven't been to Sterling, Lamar, Holyoke, Fort Morgan, etc. Some of the friendliest and cleanest places on Earth.
Friendly... probably so, if you fit their mold. The furthest I venture out onto the plains is DIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 01:10 PM

5,439 posts, read 8,106,600 times
Is this a question? Mountains! They're much more interesting to look at and explore. I would consider the plains if there was actually something there. All there is are small towns and endless fields of grass. I think even the mountains are more populated too (not talking about the front range).

Old 10-28-2015, 01:27 PM

650 posts, read 564,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
There's more to Colorado than just mountains and pretentious snotty people in ski towns. The plains are the backbone of Colorado and provide the basic necessities such as farming, ranching and openess. Don't get me wrong, mountains have beautiful views, and scenic hiking trails, but the turn off are some of the people.
I'm reasonably sure one can find pretentious snotty people anywhere, even in the humble plains.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:50 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,076,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Is this a question? Mountains! They're much more interesting to look at and explore. I would consider the plains if there was actually something there. All there is are small towns and endless fields of grass. I think even the mountains are more populated too (not talking about the front range).
Ahhh yes, mountains are interesting to look at, play on, and hang out with, but go swimming in a mountain lake any summer and you will likely be limited in how long you can tolerate the 45-50* water. By contrast, a reservoir on the plains will easily be in the uppers 70s to low 80s and can be enjoyed all day long. Hunting, fishing, bird watching, historic sites, museums, regional specialty cafes, homemade cheese and preserves, the Kit Carson carousel, there are plenty of things to do on the plains as well, you just have to drive further to get to them and look at less interesting things along the way.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:00 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,389,611 times
There are many who consider a wide open view (seeing all around for miles with an endless horizon) more beautiful and preferable than of mountains "blocking the view". Sometimes less is more. Those who can fully appreciate the plains might have an edge over those who have trouble with simplicity.

Of course, both landscapes have their value and place. In a way, it is sort of silly trying to vote for one or the other. Thankfully, we can have both.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 10-28-2015 at 02:37 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 09:14 PM

347 posts, read 714,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
I think there is some romanticizing of the plains culture going on here.
Yes, this seems common. Lack of real experience living there for the most part I think.

Last edited by ohazco; 10-28-2015 at 09:23 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 09:26 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,668,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
There are many who consider a wide open view (seeing all around for miles with an endless horizon) more beautiful and preferable than of mountains "blocking the view". Sometimes less is more. Those who can fully appreciate the plains might have an edge over those who have trouble with simplicity.

Of course, both landscapes have their value and place. In a way, it is sort of silly trying to vote for one or the other. Thankfully, we can have both.
Except that most of the high plains, with the exception of the westernmost parts with mountain views, is not a landscape where you can see endlessly for miles. It's mostly a slightly rolling landscape with only a few miles of views in any one direction for the most part. The landscape you describe, where you actually can see for hundreds of miles, is characteristic of the Great Basin, much of the Colorado Plateau, and the desert southwest, but not the great plains.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:25 AM

139 posts, read 159,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Friendly... probably so, if you fit their mold. The furthest I venture out onto the plains is DIA
You will meet unpleasant people in any city or place. However, the plains of Colorado have the friendliest people in my opinion

Old 10-29-2015, 11:33 AM

473 posts, read 693,260 times
Quote:
Except that most of the high plains, with the exception of the westernmost parts with mountain views, is not a landscape where you can see endlessly for miles. It's mostly a slightly rolling landscape with only a few miles of views in any one direction for the most part. The landscape you describe, where you actually can see for hundreds of miles, is characteristic of the Great Basin, much of the Colorado Plateau, and the desert southwest, but not the great plains.
I've always thought the wide open spaces in South/Southwestern Colorado are some of the most beautiful - perhaps because I don't visit it as much as the high Rockies.

From Cortez to Durango to the San Luis Valley and Northern NM there are wide valleys with ranches, farms, roads that appear to end in perfect infinity, and sparse homes, with rugged mountains in the distance. Best of both worlds.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,389 posts, read 39,704,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Plains? Might as well stay in Kansas. Love the mountains.
That would include Denver, KS metro.. (plains). it sure ain't Mtns (or Colorado).

Brown and flat... (I prefer KS... Lincoln county and similar (sandstone hills)). it is MUCH more rugged, hilly (mountainous) and pretty than Denver.

Peetz, CO is nice... Grover, Hereford, Stoneham... (NoCO plains).

My family roots are in Haxtun.

Miss The Farmer's Cafe Hot Beef sandwiches in Wray. Sterling is just too huge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or