U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 03:52 AM

71 posts, read 101,312 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! I am sorry if a similar question has been asked before, but does anyone know which part of Colorado is warmer in winter (not too remote though)? I am thinking about moving there. Any response will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 06:53 AM

1,598 posts, read 2,745,653 times
I'd guess Pueblo and then Grand Junction. I live in Grand Junction, and if you consider occasional below zero temps in the winter "warm", with the occasion inversion where we never get above freezing for a few days to a week well...

Old 10-31-2015, 07:54 AM

11,018 posts, read 12,354,935 times
Delta, Olathe. Grand Junction gets an inversion in winter and it can be cold and stay colder there that in the mountains.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:02 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,054,570 times
OP, what constitutes a city?

IMO, there are only three in Colorado; Denver metro, Colorado Springs, Pueblo. All the rest are towns.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:04 AM

16,488 posts, read 20,861,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I'd guess Pueblo and then Grand Junction. I live in Grand Junction, and if you consider occasional below zero temps in the winter "warm", with the occasion inversion where we never get above freezing for a few days to a week well...
Yes.

Grand Junction's elevation is 4650 ft., Fruita's is 4498 ft. Puebo's is around 4700 or so. Winter in Mesa and Montrose county is way different than the front range cities. In the Denver area after a string of cold days you'll have several days in a row of 55 to 60 degree temps, even in January. The Grand Junction area sees temps in the 30's starting in early December and it will stay that was until mid February or so. But where you have those freak April snow storms (heh, and May as well) on the Front Range, Grand Junction's temps are usually in the 60's.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:52 AM

6,884 posts, read 6,460,372 times
If you are looking for a place that doesn't ever get cold, you're looking in the wrong state. There is no place in Colorado that will not see snow and freezing temperatures.

We are too high and too far north. The lowest point in the state is on the Kansas border and still 3,300 feet above sea level.

If you haven't lived in a dry environment though, many find our cold to be much more bearable than the cold, damp, cloudy weather in the Midwest and Northeast. The sun and lack of humidity often make it feel less cold than it actually is.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:09 PM

71 posts, read 101,312 times
Hey, guys, thank you for the quick responses. I would like to confirm that when we talk about "inversion", we mean an increase in temperature with height, no?

I didn’t know there are only 3 cities in Colorado. And to my surprise, there is no Costco in Pueblo – is there a wholesale club in Pueblo that may or may not require membership?

So, how much is the average heating bill during winter in Denver Metro vs. Colorado Springs vs. Pueblo? And what months require heating? Someone from the Northeast mentioned to me once that they don't have to pay a whole lot because the heating oil is sold directly by their municipality. Do some municipalities in Colorado do the same?

Thank you once again!

Old 10-31-2015, 01:35 PM

6,884 posts, read 6,460,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph View Post
Hey, guys, thank you for the quick responses. I would like to confirm that when we talk about "inversion", we mean an increase in temperature with height, no?

I didn’t know there are only 3 cities in Colorado. And to my surprise, there is no Costco in Pueblo – is there a wholesale club in Pueblo that may or may not require membership?

So, how much is the average heating bill during winter in Denver Metro vs. Colorado Springs vs. Pueblo? And what months require heating? Someone from the Northeast mentioned to me once that they don't have to pay a whole lot because the heating oil is sold directly by their municipality. Do some municipalities in Colorado do the same?

Thank you once again!
Yes that's what an inversion means. They happen from time to time, but are not the norm. Typically it is colder higher.

3 cities? There are plenty of other smaller cities. Fort Collins is about the same size as Pueblo. Grand Junction on the Western Slope. Durango in the Southwest.

We do not use heating oil in Colorado. Most all areas that are in cities have gas service for heating. More remote areas use propane tanks, wood burning stoves, or electric heat.

Depending on elevation, you could use heat almost any month of the year. In Denver, we just started turning our heat on in the evenings a couple weeks ago. It's not running during the day. Will likely use it from now until April/May.

Average heating bill depends on fuel type, size, insulation, Windows....

Old 10-31-2015, 02:11 PM

12,169 posts, read 20,920,900 times
Quote:
I didnít know there are only 3 cities in Colorado. And to my surprise, there is no Costco in Pueblo Ė is there a wholesale club in Pueblo that may or may not require membership?
Pueblo has a Sams Club.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:16 PM

73 posts, read 56,906 times
Quote:
Hello, everyone! I am sorry if a similar question has been asked before, but does anyone know which part of Colorado is warmer in winter (not too remote though)? I am thinking about moving there. Any response will be greatly appreciated!
the warmer spots in CO in the summer are also the ugliest ones. the places in the east that suck, like Pueblo. If ya wanna dig the beauty of the mountains then you have to put up with the cold and snowy winters. those aggie and flat and hot places like Pueblo--which is like being in Mexico--just cannot compare with the REAL Colorado. if you want warm in the winter move to Texas or Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or