U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 03:52 PM

429 posts, read 963,302 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

my wife and I are looking to take a trip( maybe 5ish days? ) to Colorado next year and want to know the best time to come out. We'd love to somehow find a time for all activities, skiing, sightseeing, etc, but that may not be possible. We would likely fly into Denver and would probably drive to a few different areas through the days, we have friends in Colorado Springs, so thats a definite.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 06:16 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,058,636 times
With your intention to ski, that means a winter trip ...

With CSprings as a "definite", you've got a very tight time frame to drive there from DIA, spend time with your friends, and still get back to the major destination ski areas with the idea of a "few different areas" through the days.

Perhaps "best" to consider CSprings and then a couple of days at one of the ski resorts along the I-70 corridor ... Copper Mtn,
Vail, Beaver Creek? That way you'll have time to ski a few days and enjoy the amenities of the areas and the slopes.

Time frame? the prime holiday weeks will be the most crowded on the ski slopes, so I'd avoid them if possible.

Consider a mid-week trip in Feb-March for likely good skiing conditions and the time to get to CSprings. Keep in mind that travels at this time of the year can present a lot of inclement weather driving conditions, so you may want to limit your activities to your primary concerns and leave the "sightseeing" for another trip.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:49 PM

13,917 posts, read 20,103,660 times
The best skiing month is February.
Avoid Presidents' Day as the plague it is.
Colorado Springs means skiing at Monarch to me.
Chill in Salida with beer and pizza and just walking around.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:51 PM

20,811 posts, read 38,972,727 times
IIRC there are hot springs in Salida and/or Buena Vista too, as in a number of other places around the state; we've a thread on hot springs, just use the search tool.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:03 PM

16,488 posts, read 20,861,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IIRC there are hot springs in Salida
Yep! It's on the highway bypass road, around 400 block west. Nice facility! The Country Bounty restaurant is right across the street from it, one of my favorite mom and pop restaurants. You have several mom and pop motels through that stretch. I've stayed at different ones when I visit Salida in the late Spring to fish the Arkansas River, one of my favorite places!

Old 11-06-2015, 08:15 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,382,644 times
OP - Since you are from FL, I would think you would want to come when the weather is milder, and more familiar. That would be June to September. September and October - in my view - are the prettiest and most pleasant months, and tend to have less congestion and crowds. Since you are trying to get in a variety (maybe including some snow), that sounds like late October. Skiing and heavy winter sports is a different story, but it looks like some have discussed that above.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:10 AM

429 posts, read 963,302 times
thanks everyone.

I'll have to discuss with my wife and see what everyone says... I'm actually not originally from Florida, but NY, so cold weather for a visit isn't a horrible thing to me, or my wife.

I also haven't been an active skiier in 20 years so i'm not looking for the greatest conditions... more just able to do it

Old 11-06-2015, 11:12 AM

6,885 posts, read 6,460,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
OP - Since you are from FL, I would think you would want to come when the weather is milder, and more familiar. That would be June to September. September and October - in my view - are the prettiest and most pleasant months, and tend to have less congestion and crowds. Since you are trying to get in a variety (maybe including some snow), that sounds like late October. Skiing and heavy winter sports is a different story, but it looks like some have discussed that above.
The whole point of travel is to go somewhere that isn't like home!

Old 11-06-2015, 11:42 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The whole point of travel is to go somewhere that isn't like home!
True, but FL or NY won't like CO anyway The main point was not got get them into potentially adverse and unfamiliar conditions (such as heavy snow in the mountains, and/or the coldest of temperatures).

Old 11-06-2015, 11:50 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,941,784 times
For what you want to do, I'd choose March. Mid, maybe late. Should be some deals on ski resort accomodations, less crowds. More likely better driving conditions and warmer for sightseeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or