U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 02:11 PM

9 posts, read 6,685 times

Advertisements

I've read other threads at this forum, but i did not find any related answer for what i'm looking for. I got previous relevant information to planning my CO trip with my family and this is the only part I'm still insecure.

In order to buy a bus ticket (Greyhound) from Steamboat Springs to Denver on Dec, 27th, I'd like to know if it is usual to have excessive delays due to weather or road conditions at the end of the year.

I'm sure nobody can predict weather forecast at this time, and i only seek information on what normally occurs.

Again, thank you guys for any insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 02:46 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,025,414 times
It's possible there will be delays. Sundays are busy travel days in the winter, the 27th is a busy day, there could be a storm, there could be traffic, it's hard to say. If you need to take Greyhound and be somewhere with only a couple hours to spare you may or may not have problems. I don't think there is a normal occurrence to really go by, one bus in and one bus out that day doesn't give you a lot of room for error.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:59 PM

4,875 posts, read 9,619,939 times
I used to live in Steamboat, and there is really no way to say what normally occurs. One year we got rain on Christmas day, another year it was -20 degrees. If you want to get some idea of what to expect on your travel day, then start watching the weather forecasts about a week out. Since there is only one bus each day, you don't really have much choice. The buses will run no matter what the weather is, unless on the very rare occasions that the roads are closed.

Your thread title brought back fond memories. I made the same trip in 1970 when I first moved to Colorado, except that I went out in mid-November.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:46 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,991,054 times
Weather in Steamboat Springs - AccuWeather Extended Forecast for CO, 80487

No severe weather currently projected at this time on long-range forecasts for Steamboat, Kremmling or Denver anywhere in week before or after Dec.27. Could change several times between now and then but I'd go for it. Road crews generally make the roads passable even when it dumps.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:20 PM

361 posts, read 492,111 times
I would worry slightly less about weather delays, and MUCH more about being caught in the parking lot that is I-70 eastbound on Sunday during ski season. Especially since it's the Sunday right after Christmas, so EVERYONE who came to Colorado to ski for the holidays will be heading the same direction at the same time.

If you have a schedule where you have to be in Denver at a particular time on that Sunday, I'd be hesitant, or at least add 3 hours between the estimated arrival time and the time you NEED to be in Denver. Of course, if there's a big storm, and the interstate is closed, all bets are off. But you will definitely need to plan for exceptionally heavy traffic on that Sunday, regardless of the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or