Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 PM

9 posts, read 30,338 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Las Animas in the fall. I currently hail in the midwest region. I'm looking for warmer climates, I want to leave behind the cold winters and city life. Looking for a slower pace type of town. I want to buy a house in Las Animas, the biggest obstacle to my move is a job. I just need to know what type of companies are out their where I could possibly apply for work? Is their economic opportunities avaliable in this area?

I do like the fact that you can still get to Denver or Tucson or Colorado Springs in a few hours or less. So when I miss the big city life, I can always head to any of those towns on the weekend.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:42 AM

26,209 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inteljustice View Post
I'm considering a move to Las Animas in the fall. I currently hail in the midwest region. I'm looking for warmer climates, I want to leave behind the cold winters and city life. Looking for a slower pace type of town. I want to buy a house in Las Animas, the biggest obstacle to my move is a job. I just need to know what type of companies are out their where I could possibly apply for work? Is their economic opportunities avaliable in this area?

I do like the fact that you can still get to Denver or Tucson or Colorado Springs in a few hours or less. So when I miss the big city life, I can always head to any of those towns on the weekend.

My maps show Las Animas in the S.E. corner on COLO, not all that far from the state line with Kansas, and that's 800 miles from Tucson, a minimum 12 hours by car. COLO SPGS and Denver are doable in a few hours.

Search in the this forum on keywords like: Las Animas or La Junta or Springfield or Rocky Ford, all towns in that area.

Not a lot of corporate work down there, lots of farming and ag.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:28 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Are you referring to the city or county of Las Animas? They're two different places.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:10 AM

4 posts, read 15,479 times
Las Animas is a great little community to live in and get away for city life. The employment opportunities vary and I can help you. The largest employers in our county include private and state prisons, swine producation facility, healthcare center, and schools. Our county is also nestled in the middle of two larger communities that also offer employment opportunities and easy communte times. Go to our website for more information at www.bentcounty.org or call 719-456-0452. We hope you make the decision to move to our area. You will love the freedom and open spaces.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
=Bent County Eco Dev;17689549The largest employers in our county include private and state prisons, swine producation facility, healthcare center, and schools.
So your economy is pretty much based on pork.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 AM

Default More About Las Animas

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteljustice View Post

Inteljustice-I gave you a little information in my previous response and want to provide more about Las Animas.

I have the pleasure of living on 80 acres with my own water source. The land is covered with beautiful grasses and there are a lot trees. I have horses, goats, chickens, and cows. I can ride my horses for miles on land adjacent to my property. The climate provides four beautiful seasons all offering enjoyable weather for riding. The seasons are also great for my garden. The soil is rich and produces delicious vegetables, fruit, and herbs.

The city of Las Animas is a short 20 minute drive to the Amtrak station in La Junta where a person can take the train to Albuquerque, New Mexico or Kansas City arriving in a short time. Colorado Springs is a 2 ½ hour drive and Denver can be reached in 3 hours. Each of these cities offers events such as plays and concerts. From Denver International Airport, your choices for travel are almost unlimited. All the advantages of the larger cities are close but far enough away to allow a slower pace of life.

Once again, thank you for your interest in Las Animas, Bent County, and southeast Colorado.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent County Eco Dev View Post
Once again, thank you for your interest in Las Animas, Bent County, and southeast Colorado.
I will say you folks in SE Colorado do a great job on here of pointing out the benefits of your areas. There was another poster on here from the La Junta economic development organization who offered similar input. It really gives folks interested in relocating to CO some interesting things to consider. People tend to focus on certain areas and don't realize there are a lot of others there to think about.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I will say you folks in SE Colorado do a great job on here of pointing out the benefits of your areas. There was another poster on here from the La Junta economic development organization who offered similar input. It really gives folks interested in relocating to CO some interesting things to consider. People tend to focus on certain areas and don't realize there are a lot of others there to think about.
We are very proud of southeast Colorado and are happy to share the benefits with others that may not know the assets in the area. I grew up here but then lived in the Los Angeles area for over 20 years. I have been back to this area for about 5 years and even though Los Angeles is a great place, I love southeast Colorado and would not want to live anywhere else.

Last edited by Bent County Eco Dev; 02-09-2011 at 10:57 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 10:21 PM

265 posts, read 686,576 times
So in anyone's opinion Olney springs vs. Las Animas? Thanx in advance

Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 PM

6,789 posts, read 9,337,164 times
I was actually in Las Animas TODAY but I live in Denver. I went to check out the Bent's Old Fort National Historic Site, but then went to check out Las Animas and La Junta because of what I had read here on City-Data.

The area sort of reminds me of where I grew up in Pennsylvania. It seems somewhat economically depressed (empty storefronts, etc.) but the people I encountered were nice and generally friendly. I stopped at Java Jackie's coffee shop and the person behind the counter (maybe it was Java Jackie herself?) gave me some info on other things to see, like dinosaur tracks and neat rock formations. I wish I could have stayed longer to see more, but I had to come back to Denver today. There is definitely more to see in SE Colorado than I originally thought!

I'm also curious to know the status of the former/abandoned bent county high school building renovation project.

Last edited by cowboyxjon; 04-22-2011 at 10:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado