U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:25 AM

171 posts, read 960,215 times

Advertisements

We are heading for a quick trip to Steamboat on December 6th and then will be planning a trip to Durango proabably late January. We will be visiting schools in both areas as well. Our bigger concern about Durango is the school system. They have had one of the ten charter schools in Colorado to ever close and a second charter school is getting ready to be reincorporated with the public schools system. They do not have any other non-religious private school options. I have heard sort of mixed bags regarding ther public schools system. I am concerned that money moving into the area is in retirees and not young families as it is sort of strange that an area its size cannot support a charter school or some small independant private school. Steamboat Springs has a better school system, both public and private, I believe. I have heard Steamboat described as Ketchum 15-20 years ago. We love the Ketchum area, I think it is frequently misconceived to be glitzy/too upscale. I think the opposite is true, the people that live there are completely down to earth and get to take advantage of the cultural amenities that wealthy visiting tourists help sustain in the area. Anyway, we are looking forward to our trips.
Parteria, I sent you a message with my email address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 08:31 PM

55 posts, read 197,459 times
idahomama,

Curious as to why you are leaving Idaho. We are looking to relocate and Idaho, Montana and Colorado are all on our list. Have been to Bozeman, Mt, planning a trip to Durango, Co in Feb. Would love to hear your feedback on your excusions as we also have children (11 and 7) and want good schools. Durango is heading our "spreadsheet wars" at the moment. What did you find out about the schools that you didnt' like?

Also, FYI, we have friends who live in Steamboat with their children. They had to file a lawsuit to start a Montessori school there. They were successful. They were CA born and raised and absolutely love it there. Of course, they are both big skiers. For us, Steamboat is a bit small and a bit too ski oriented. Don't really want to look at the ski slopes from town or my house.

Love to get your input on any of your trips.

PS: How old are your kids?

Old 11-27-2006, 09:27 PM

LFults, our children are 2,4,6, and 8. We miss the Colorado sun in the winters, and even thought the temps are milder in the winter than CO, if it is going to be cold and wet, it might as well be snowing in our opinion! We currenlty live in Boise and it certainly a changing city but it is very conservative and I mean in mentally even more than politically. It is becoming more urban but there is a huge suburban mentality here that predomintates. That aside, it is a very safe, clean, family oreinted community, just not the best fit for my husband and our family. We have a cabin in Stanley (in the Sawtooths) and are summers will be spent there no matter where we live, there is no other place like it in the country.

Currently our children are in a small private school, with an international baccalaureate program. It is a "value based" education program with a huge emphasis on outdoor education. Durango has had some similar programs in charter schools but they just aren't making it. Private schools are catholic in the area, which is fine, just not the program we are looking for. We have heard good and bad about Durango schools, the bad being similar to what we hear across the county with primary focus becoming state testing not a well rounded education with the basics plus art, music, language, etc that I experienced in my youth. for a community its size it is surprising that it can't support smaller a independant school, leading us to believe that new money coming in is from retirees and not people with school aged kids. Maybe we are wrong, we will see, because other than schools, it leads for us as well.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:14 PM

55 posts, read 197,459 times
Idahomama,

Wow..you are busy...lots of kidlets! We had definately considered the Boise area, but had focused more on Montana and Colorado. We currently live in a suburb of the San Francisco Bay Area. It was small and rural when we moved in but I'm sure will be the next L.A. in the next few years. Housing is out of control. (want a nice 1800 sq. ft. rancher? Cost you about $800,000) Lots of big box stores moving in, mom and pops disappearing. Has great parks, open spaces, activities. Moving into an urban lifestyle which is just not for me. Durango sounds so wonderful. The schools are a question. Our kids were in a wonderful independent school here until the tuition took a rather large upward turn. Now in a public school, small and wonderful as well. Keep us posted on your explorations, if you don't mind. We are planning a trip to Durango the first part of Feburary. Will move in June if we decide it's a "go".

Old 11-29-2006, 02:19 AM

827 posts, read 4,631,042 times
Idahomama, I am sure you have your hands busy with all your kids, but I am sure they are a blessing to you. I would seriously look at Bayfield schools. They are excellent. It is a small town near Durango and very community oriented. It is also very family oriented, with many families living there. If I had children, I'd have them there. As far as if I didn't have kids, I'd live in Durango, which is what I am going to do, but for great schools, safe and clean community, Bayfield is the one. That isn't to say Durango's schools are bad at all. They are actually quite good. It is just I like the smaller schools with more attention to kids and it is so good, families move there just for the schools.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:18 AM

We are pretty urban minded, and I am afraid Bayfield may not be what we are looking for. We like to be close to downtown amenities (even if it is a smaller downtown) and living in the suburbs is absolutely not my cup of tea. We like great food, great wine, and the stimuation that comes from being near a city center. (arts, music, whatever it may be) On the flip side, we are outdoor enthusiasts and our oldest child's first backpack was when we has 6 weeks old. So, we will look for a balance between school requirements and our needs and hopefully there will be some place just right, alhtough I do know that everything is a give and take.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:18 AM

827 posts, read 4,631,042 times
I am the same way Idahomama. I like the downtowns that have lots of life in them and culture too. Durango has that. Steamboat Springs is a nice town. Steamboat does get a lot of snow, but if you like snow, like some do, it is a good place. Good Luck on your search and move!

Old 11-30-2006, 12:08 PM

Thank you Crackerjack! We will report back after our trip to Steamboat next week!

Old 12-07-2006, 08:55 PM

So my husband has been experiencing Steamboat the past few days, and he will admit the he is quite surprised. I will say he went there with very little expectation, and he really finds it quite charming. He met with schools today. There is an excellent private elementary school as well as a public elementary school that still incorporates some of the things we are looking for. The public school even incoprporates a second language which we think is becoming more and more rare. There is a good community feel to the area. We have friends that live there (without children) and they love how they have just slipped into the community with no issues. On the negative side, it is not cheap, although cheaper than other resort areas in Colorado. Our real estate agent did mention that several people he knows have condo or lofts in Denver for when they are getting the cultural itch. We laugh as we lived in downtown Denver before it was hot, we should have never sold!!!!!!! We do prefer Durango in terms of a larger city with more amenities as well as the obvious snow conditions in Steamboat. We do love to cross country ski and snowshoe but four young children have put a damper on our outdoor winter activities these past few years. We are starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is just a brief one!

It is not quite as sophisticated in terms of food and shops as compared to Ketchum, ID, but it seems to be more affordable. I always have to put in my speech that Ketchum is not nearly as obnoxious as people like it make it out be, The residents are very down to earth and just take advantage of all the amenities that good financial backing allows.

Anyway, he has had a great trip ( a bit of skiing too) and it adds just more complication to our plans

Last edited by idahomama; 12-07-2006 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: too fast fingers

Old 12-08-2006, 05:17 PM

643 posts, read 2,227,832 times
I love the sound of Steamboat Springs!!! One thing was a little scary though... 'hedonistic, buck naked in the snow'. Having a 15 yr old daughter I would rather werewolves. I love openminded laid back people! I am looking for that and can handle the snow ... how hedonistic are we talkin'?

The schools sound great I am going to check this out and am already getting excited!!!
Is it racially/culturally diverse? (My child is 1/2 hispanic)Is there the arts? This is so wonderful for us if we can find it, we love it and it keeps kids going with positive self expression.

Any more info at all would be so appreciated and I thank you all in advance you have been so sweet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or