U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 14,374 times

Advertisements

^haha that is a good quote from the locals.

I moved to Steamboat from Washington state last year...and for me, it was the best move i've made. I grew up in Seattle and loved the city, so diverse and so many things to do. But for being a snowboard bum, you live so far away from the mountains and it's hard to find people with common interests...plus the traffic was horrible.

I came to Steamboat to visit a friend and moved out a month later, found a rental house within a week...and i have 2 dogs! Found a great job about 3 weeks later. Steamboat is a very dog friendly town...everyone has a dog. But trying to find a rental place that allows dogs is a bit tougher.

Just like pointed out...steamboat is not diverse unless those diverse people come to Steamboat to visit. We do have a decent spanish population. Last week we had the NBS (National Brotherhood) group come to Steamboat and in 3 weeks we have a gay/lesbian group coming for their snowboard trip. But even then in a town full of white people, I have yet to see any racist or homophobic words said anywhere. In terms of religion...i've found that I have been bothered less by religion than living in the NW.

The town itself is a lot of fun, Summer is beautiful here, Fall is my favorite season because it's quiet again and the fall colors are awesome when you hike up the mountain and surrounding valleys. Mud Season is when most of the locals leave and take vacations themselves so town shuts down a bit. But it is refreshing to have tourists all year...and then just the locals again. Then summer is booming with tourists. The tourists aren't too bad. As a snowboarder, we do get a lot of old ski mentality...i've been yelled at in the lift line because a skier didn't want to ride up the chair with a snowboarder...me. I just ignore it, most people are nice except for the occasional bad apple that happens to visit here.

Yes Steamboat does have a lot of guys here. But there are single girls...I am one, haha. I moved here with a boyfriend and we broke up...so you do have chances guys or yes you can import your women as well. I have found that even though there are a lot of guys here..."the odds are good, but the goods are odd". This is a skiing town and it definitely has a drinking problem...not much else but drinking sometimes. So to find a guy you gotta figure out which ones don't have drinking problems...and can also hold a job, pay rent and have a car.

As for traffic...yesterday was the longest line at a stoplight that i have ever seen in steamboat. It was 7 cars! That's it. There's the traffic for Steamboat. I can drive anywhere in town in under 10 minutes...mostly 5 unless i'm heading out to Steamboat II. Free bus that takes you everywhere which is great for the drink nights. I used to fill up my gas in Seattle every other day, now I fill up my gas every 2 weeks. I drive a truck as well so it's not like i'm improving my gas mileage...i just drive less.

The downside of steamboat is shopping, which is an upside as well. I now spend less on shopping because the rare trips to Fort Collins or Denver...require me to shop quick, get my stuff and come back. Clothes in Steamboat are expensive at the boutique shops downtown so i only shop maybe every 6 months. And online shopping is good, but doesn't work for everything.

The snow is awesome and incredible. This year we had about two weeks of bitter cold, it didn't get above -10 during those two weeks and that was rough. The weather i love here, it's almost always sunny except for when it dumps snow and the clouds come down and lower...then dump snow...then go back up and it's sunny again. In the 9 months of living here, I have counted 4 days of rain.

Food is great here...i know someone mentioned Chelsea's in Oak Creek. They actually closed a couple months ago. Before that one closed Chelsea's opened in Steamboat downtown but just recently they closed as well Which is a bummer. Some food is expensive, some is not. I can go out to dinner with a friend and keep it under $20 including tip. My favorite place in town is Tugboat...good food, decent service and good beer. And not expensive.

I've been babbling too much. But steamboat really is a cool place to live. Only place i have ever lived where i can walk my dogs off-leash in quiet, leave my house unlocked and still feel safe. It's quiet here and mellow...good place to relax but still have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 09:04 AM

71 posts, read 393,382 times
I visited some friends out in Steamboat last winter for about a week to do some snowboarding. It was definitely a cool town. It has a very laid back feel and there are a lot of townies around in comparison to tourists. The prices on homes that I saw weren't as outrageous as many other ski towns. I do agree that this probably has a lot to do with how far away from the Denver area it is. It is quite a drive! But that also makes it nice because it is it's own town, not just a suburb of a bigger city. We visited the Strawberry Hot Springs while we were there and it was amazing! So secluded and peaceful, I had never seen anything like it. The drive up to the hot springs was awesome as well. We passed the reindeer ranch and got great pictures of the reindeer grazing in the snow. The ski slopes were awesome as well and everyone out there seemed to be pretty friendly...as a snowboarder I didn't encounter any angry skiiers! The friends that I stayed with actually were living in between Steamboat and Hayden and it was quite a drive to their place...and VERY secluded where they lived. They didn't have cable TV or internet and it wasn't exactly easy to get into town to go to a bar, especially when the roads were bad. If I were ever to move there I would definitely live in town in Steamboat, probably close to the base of the mountain. As for shopping, I definitely agree with shaybdr. There is not much around and you would have to go to Denver to shop probably. I spent a day 'downtown' browsing the shops and all I bought was a few stickers. The boutiques are cute but pricey and there aren't many 'big name' stores to buy clothes at. I did eat at a couple great cafe type restaurants while I was there (forget the names) but they were really cute and had a lot of character. We also ate at Mahogany Ridge and it was pretty nice. I don't think the job market is very good there though. One of my friends there was a teacher out in Hayden and the other got a job with an architecture firm in Steamboat. They both worked construction on the side (that is big there) to make extra money. Anyways, all-in-all, it's a great ski town and I would love to visit again sometime in the summer because I hear it is beautiful!

Old 07-09-2007, 12:11 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,837,299 times
idahomama

We just returned from a wonderful 4 day vacation in Crested Butte. I haven't been to Steamboat Springs in more than 30 years, so I can't make a comparison. If money is not an issue for you, you might consider Crested Butte.

regards...Franco

Old 07-13-2007, 10:27 PM

71 posts, read 393,382 times
Isn't Crested Butte very small though? What are the job opportunities like there? I know a few people who live out there and love it, but I just can't imagine the job opportunities are very good? I am going to be a pharmacist but I don't think there are probably many openings out there?

Old 07-14-2007, 07:29 PM

184 posts, read 942,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Steamboat is quite isolated compared to other resort communities in Summit or Eagle Counties. .
Exactly why i love Steamboat. Once you get far enough away so the Denverites can't day-trip, the feel of the town improves dramatically. Authentic, community, down-to-earth. Love it.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:38 PM

184 posts, read 942,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaybdr View Post
"the odds are good, but the goods are odd". .
Great quote. I need to remember that one!

Old 07-15-2007, 08:37 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,837,299 times
CObound

Quote:
original by: CObound

Isn't Crested Butte very small though? What are the job opportunities like there? I know a few people who live out there and love it, but I just can't imagine the job opportunities are very good? I am going to be a pharmacist but I don't think there are probably many openings out there?
To be consistent with my earlier response to idahomama, I'm only suggesting Crested Butte if money is not an issue.

regard...Franco

Old 08-03-2007, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 13,074 times
I'm living in Steamboat now and I can say that Jason was pretty much right on, with a few exceptions.

The housing market has gone through and incredible boom in the past year. When I first moved here last September you could buy a 2 bedroom condo for around 200K. Now you can't buy anything for less than 250,000. We're talking a 400sqft studio! You can buy a rundown trailer home for 30-90K but you don't own the land and you'll probably have to move in less than a year. Average home cost for a 3-4 bedroom is going to run you close to 1 million. You can live in Stagecoach or Oak Creek or Hayden for less but you have to drive a minimum of 20 miles into town. Not bad in the summer but in the winter it's going to take close to an hour.

The schools are great.

The town itself is great as well. Locals are very friendly and truly love the town. There is something going on practically every weekend. Wine fest this weekend, mountain bike races, triathalon, running races, car shows, hot air ballon rodeo, etc. and that's just in the summer.

The community is very close knit. In the year or so that I've been here I've made tons of friends. People I don't know, but see on a daily basis, say hi and things like that. The regular newspaper is free and 98% of the people in town read it everyday. There is also another free paper called the Local that's an alternative paper, also free, that's good for a read and opinionated slant on local issues. Both good. Halloween is a huge event. The whole town comes downtown and trick-or-treats on Main Street. They close down the street and turn it into a big party, no one goes door to door.

Groceries are pretty expensive as well as gas, but most of us find it's worth it considering where we live. There is an airport about 30 minutes away that flies non-stop to some major destinations in the winter, but not in the summer. You can puddle jump from Denver or take a shuttle to town. $75.

Anything else? PM me.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,356 times
Default Relocate to Steamboat?

I would like to get some feedback from everyone on what they think of steamboat vs. colorado springs? I live in FL now and have been trying to relocate to the Colorado Springs area for a while. However, I may have a job offer in Steamboat. I want to get out of FL ASAP and am considering the Steamboat option. I am not a ski person but love outdoors activities( 43 married no kids). I love the Colorado Springs area and owned a vacation home in Florissant for 2 years. I have some concerns about Steamboat because of the location ( so far away from any city of note) and that it is so darn expensive!! If the job opportunity was not so good I probably would not even consider it. Looking to see is there any houses worth a darn in the 400-500k range? any places to shop outside of boutique stores? How long does it take to get to Denver? Anything to do besides outdoor activities? ( theater, concerts, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or