U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 02:45 PM

171 posts, read 724,388 times

Advertisements

This is one of the resort communities I don't hear much about. What is your take and community feel of this area? We love certain things about small towns but we also like bigger city amenities like good food and arts and other culture. We love the outdoors, have a young family so schools are important. We don't need big chains but do like locally owned establishments. What is your take on this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2006, 02:42 PM

No one has an opinion of what the community feel in this area is????????

Old 11-20-2006, 09:25 AM

4,267 posts, read 7,304,082 times
All I can remember of Steamboat from 5 years ago is that it has a Safeway and a Walmart, which is where the locals shop, and lots of high-end, very pricey shops on the main drag for the tourists. Lots of development with building holiday condos. Other than that, I have no information on living there.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:29 PM

1,089 posts, read 4,485,099 times
Steamboat is supposed to have some of the best skiing in Colorado. It is really far from Denver and that is why you don't hear much about it. You have a lot of ski bums who live there year round because it seems to be more of a town instead of only a ski resort. I've always thought that Steamboat was a little more exclusive then a lot of other places because it is more of a destination, if you are going to ski there you have to be able to afford to spend the night while places closer to Denver can be done in a single day.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 PM

1,172 posts, read 4,347,226 times
My brother has lived there over 20 years and loves it. The cost of living is normal, there are plenty of places to buy or build that are reasonable, and the community is very family-oriented. Steamboat doesn't attract the jet set types that inhabit other Colorado resorts though Chilaili is right in that there are tons of tourist shops but there are also a lot of good restaurants (sushi is billed as, "jet fresh,") a movie theater, live entertainment, nightlife, and of course exceptional winter sports facilities. The big secret to Steamboat is the summer. Wonderful weather, loads of hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, rock climbing, camping, fossil hunting in Dinosaur National Monument, exploring ghost towns, the Kremmling Annual Road Kill Cook-off (you don't have to eat it), and the town has a few festivals for the town itself.

My brother and sister-in-law think highly of the public school system and while there is no crime to speak of, drugs are the biggest problem what with the tourists and all, but even then it's nothing like large cities.

Their biggest complaint is that Steamboat is isolated. It's 3 hours to drive to Denver if you have a lead foot and an hour to the next nearest town of any size and that town is not particularly savory. The next biggest complaint is very common to Colorado and that's mud season. Late in April all the snow melts and everything turns to mud. That's when the locals leave for vacation as it also marks the end of the ski season. There's no real autumn either. At some point in mid September the Aspen leaves turn yellow for two weeks and then it begins to snow in October. It keeps snowing. There are no school snow days and snow is no excuse not to do your job or get to the store or what have you. Happily, western snow is nothing like its eastern cousin. Ice is unheard of and so, thankfully, is road salt. Out there they use volcanic rock and it works just fine. Buy a Jeep or Subaru or other 4x4 and you'll be fine.

Steamboat got its name from the odd sound one of the springs made when there was a temperature inversion. Apparently it sounded like a Steamboat whistle. There are a lot of springs. One is lithium, one is sulpher, another is loaded with iron. The best though are up near the ski mountain itself and nothing beats heading out there after a long day of skiing to soak in the hot springs while you enjoy snow falling around you and all over the surrounding countryside while you're buck naked in the great outdoors. It's a bit hedonistic, but Steamboat is a very laid-back kinda place. I lived there two years and came to love that it wasn't glitzy Vail or ridiculously rich Aspen (though both are just a few hours drive away).

One interesting bit of local lore is that one of the very small towns about 20 miles away has a population afflicted with lycanthropy. They don't tell the tourists because, well, who would believe them? But live there long enough and you'll find out.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:25 PM

Lycanthropy?!?!? Are these of the American Werewolf in London varietals? I have to say that is one tid bit we have never heard about the area!

We have heard lots of good things about the public school system as well as the private school option. We are a very laid-back, outdoorsy family but we do need our sushi and Steamboat keeps coming up as one of the areas that might fit the bill. In areas with longer winters and having young children I do think that a good sense of community is important, one that is open to all sorts of people and all sorts of beliefs. We are planning an exploratory trip the beginning of December.

Thanks Jason for your info.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:24 AM

1,172 posts, read 4,347,226 times
Yes.

And the best Chinese food is 20 miles away in the tiny mining town of Oak Creek. I've never had such good Chinese outside of Chinatown in New York. It's definitely a place not to be missed. The owners opened a place on the main drag of Steamboat but Chelsea's in Oak Creek is the place to go. Their chef is fantastic. Be sure to make the trip!

Old 11-22-2006, 09:03 AM

Thank you, we will check it out for sure!

Old 11-25-2006, 02:41 PM

93 posts, read 315,342 times
Idahomama, I tried to email you through this system but it said you weren't accepting emails. We recently moved out of Idaho, and we are considering another move, possibly to some of the places you've posted about here (steamboat, durango). I'd love to talk more about these places with you, and hear about your trip to steamboat if you all end up checking it out.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:44 PM

13,328 posts, read 30,058,164 times
Jason's descriptive post is right on. I never lived in Steamboat but had a good friend who did. The snow did get to him after a couple years, he moved back down to the Western Slope.
We used to go to the Strawberry Hot Springs back when it was not so regulated. What a lovely place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado