U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 03:58 PM

13,666 posts, read 13,443,503 times

Advertisements

I vote with Salida. Estes Park. Maybe Boulder.

Estes Park has a lot going on, as does Boulder. And Salida is just adorable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 04:19 PM

13,931 posts, read 20,128,417 times
Salida.
With side trips to Buena Vista and up Cottonwood Pass.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:27 PM

398 posts, read 252,436 times
My son and his bride rented a cabin in Estes Park foe their honeymoon September of last year. They hiked in the Rockies, visited a brewery, and fell in love with the state. They moved to Colorado in June.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:04 PM

13,666 posts, read 13,443,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
My son and his bride rented a cabin in Estes Park foe their honeymoon September of last year. They hiked in the Rockies, visited a brewery, and fell in love with the state. They moved to Colorado in June.
Heh. That seems to be how it goes. I reluctantly visited Denver for 5 days, with a side trip to Steamboat Springs, and ended up moving here 10 months later.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:04 PM

3,175 posts, read 7,004,609 times
Glenwood is a great suggestion.

Good food, fun town, Glenwood Caverns, Glenwood Hot Springs, Iron Mountain Hot Springs, Hike to Hanging Lake, Raft the Colorado, Bike along the River. Easy trip into Aspen with bus service so you could go out and not worry about driving home. Avalanche Ranch on the way to Redstone is a cool property if you want access to their hot springs you could stay there for a couple nights. Basalt area has the Frying Pan river with Gold Medal Fly Fishing and Ruedi Reservoir too. Carbondale is a fun town too about 20 minutes away, Rifle Falls are about 20 minutes away also.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:40 PM

3,940 posts, read 3,219,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Late spring isn't the best time to visit the ski resort towns. Once ski season is over many restaurants and shops close their doors so the owners and employees can go on vacation. It's called "mud season" -- many activities (hiking, biking, etc.) aren't really possible yet due to snow/mud on trails.
One good thing about that timeframe is that there are no crowds and great lodging deals can be found.
Resort towns start gearing up for summer Memorial Day weekend.
Good points. The first trip my husband and I made to CO was in 2004 during the first week of May. That was the week we had for vacation and we didn't have any flexibility to change it. We spent 1 day in Denver, then did 2 nights at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, followed by 2 nights in Glenwood Springs and finally, 2 nights at the Jerome Hotel in Aspen. From a price and availability perspective, it was awesome. But from an activities perspective, we were limited. No skiing and the hiking was sloppy. The passes were still closed, which disappointed my husband, who was hoping to do a lot of driving.

For that matter, it might be worth asking OP what they consider "late Spring/early summer" to be. I can't see their location, but if they are from the South or SW, they probably think of April as Spring and May as summer. I know I always did....then I moved to Denver and realized that spring didn't start in earnest until mid May.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:12 PM

285 posts, read 271,785 times
Lots of great suggestions. I'd throw in with Estes Park given the ease of access to RMNP and amenities like the Stanley. I've never been to Glenwood, but we're trying to get there.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,501 times
Thanks! Everyone here is so wonderful! After looking at our calendars it loos like we will go at the earliest June 13th and at the latest July 18. We plan to stay for at 5-7 days.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:58 PM

13,266 posts, read 25,418,195 times
Ouray. Ouray. Ouray.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,340 posts, read 39,613,467 times
keep it on the early side.... School kids / vacationers / tight bookings can be an interruption to a picture perfect Honeymoon.

I still vote Estes, (lots of variety / novelty / memories / accessible places (from Boulder (40 min) to Snowy Range (Saratoga / Encampment / Centennial or Vedauwoo, WY...) though I like all the other suggestions too. It mostly depends on YOU!

We did Glenwood and Hot Springs Lodge many times (was well under $100 at the time). I prefer it during Ski season, as there are some very nice (lessor known) ski areas, and the HUGE pool / hot springs can be pretty romantic on a snowy night (all fogged in with flakes falling).

If you end up delaying til July. I would look to a non-tourist destination. (exclude Estes and Glenwood, as they get a LOT of out of state people who have been renting cabins for generations. Neither are quiet or romantic after June).

Make this a (positive) memorable event. We did a 4 week Honeymoon, but the following yrs we did 2 - 3 months / yr traveling / vacation. (all were memorable) It just keeps getting better. This yr is 100% travel (RTW)... before we get too crippled up to enjoy adventurous econo-treks. (we travel CHEAP)... Don't make THAT mistake on Honeymoon (I did, and it still hurts) BAD plan... 50+ yrs follow to be CHEAP (economical) and enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or