U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 03:16 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,488,742 times

Advertisements

This article in The Denver Business Journal should be of interest to those looking to come to Colorado.
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...erforming.html

It is describing a report Best Reporting Cities from the Milliken Institute indicating where America's jobs are created and sustained

http://www.best-cities.org/2015/best...eport-2015.pdf

It is not where many are thinking in Colorado as the top place to look for employment. The City from Colorado that is highest on the list, at No. 9, is Greeley. Fort Collins is at 14; Denver/Aurora/Lakewood is at 16; Boulder is at 22.

Too many, from what I see in this forum, want to stream into Boulder and Fort Collins because of the reports of the Best City. Yet, many others who live here tend to not recommend the best place for jobs--Greeley. Yet, Boulder is not the best place to find employment:

Boulder "..Because of its large, established tech presence, dramatic growth rates are harder to come by. Job gains in the most recent 12 months have slowed, with tech layoffs causing some concern..."

page 26, Best Reporting Cities

I would suggest those who are seeking to come here look seriously at Greeley. Not only is there is job growth but also the housing cost is much, much less than Boulder and less than Fort Collins.

Denver/Aurora/Lakewood also has more job creation than Boulder and housing is much more reasonable than Boulder and Fort Collins. The report list Aurora because Aurora is the third largest city in Colorado and this area is often stated as the Denver/Aurora Metroplex. Lakewood is included as the next largest suburbs after Aurora.

The amenities of Boulder are consider better than Greeley with Fort Collins as often touted. However, many are not even aware of the good amenities of Denver/Aurora/Lakewood. I would suggest look at other places than Boulder and Fort Collins, that is glimmering in your eyes, because without a job and the ability to afford housing--it is just frosting on a cake that you cannot eat!

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-08-2015 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 04:21 PM

12,170 posts, read 20,920,900 times
This is from the Pueblo Chieftain and is a list of the largest metro areas job growth for the current year only.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This is from the Pueblo Chieftain and is a list of the largest metro areas job growth for the current year only.
Interesting and noted but not so noted as the "best" in this Milliken report. Pueblo is listed on page 43 of the Milliken report (I did supply the PDF link) as NO. 81 of the Best Performing Small Cities which my post was to indicate the "best" as reported by the The Denver Business Journal.

However, that report does not say there is no job growth in Pueblo but indeed indicates there is job growth. As I have said, people who move here are obsessed with Boulder and to a lesser extent Fort Collins. My reason for my post was to tell those who seek to move here that there are other cities and areas that should be considered--and as such Pueblo should also be looked at as a place to relocate. I consider Pueblo to be a very nice small city that has much potential in this state. In addition, Pueblo is many times listed as one of the best city for housing value.

We must also keep in mind that housing value is indicative of how desirable a place is perceived to be by prospective buyers and as such impacts the demand for the housing resource.

Some buyers can also move to an area and increase the price of real estate even though they have no need for a job; they do not care if there is job growth or any job. Boulder is considered very desirous can attracts those who are of the non-working upper economic class; they just relocate and pay up the real estate because they want to live there or choose Boulder as the place to retire.

Pueblo is not considered by those upper classes as so desirous and consequently would not be so impacted by a move without a job. It could be considered a retirement location but not so much to the upper economic class as Boulder.

Unfortunately for many who have Champagne taste--their Beer budget does not allow them to live in some places they desire in Colorado.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-08-2015 at 05:17 PM..

Old 12-08-2015, 10:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,306 posts, read 39,574,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Interesting and noted but not so noted as the "best" in this Milliken report. Pueblo is listed on page 43 of the Milliken report (I did supply the PDF link) as NO. 81 of the Best Performing Small Cities which my post was to indicate the "best" as reported by the The Denver Business Journal.

Unfortunately for many who have Champagne taste--their Beer budget does not allow them to live in some places they desire in Colorado.

Livecontent
What is the wage scale and career / earnings growth potential for the Greeley jobs? (I will guess it is on the low side of a beer budget?) Tho some of the data might have included new 'energy jobs' (now in decline / GONE)

I can't afford to download the 58 page report on Pay-per-byte dialup (on page 3 after 10 minutes)

BTW:it is a Milken Institute Report (Milliken is a town near Greeley)

and to think / read about the 'Tech Advantage / 4-5x .multiplier' that Austin and Bay Area still enjoy (which NoCo HAD in the 1960's-1980 and let it go!). Just imagine if the 1970's employment of Kodak, HP, Storage Tech, IBM, Teledyne... and related support businesses had remained in NoCO! Greeley housed / educated / and employed MANY at that time. Excellent pay and benefits & professional / wage growth (not meat / produce packing / seasonal / temp / fickle energy sector jobs). Poof, those Fortune 50 companies were GONE / downsized dramatically in <10 yrs and today (30 yrs later) many ex-workers are still underemployed and many more uninsured!

Economic Development incentives / courtships, and HUGE tax perks have failed to fill the EMPTY factories of NoCo.

There is plenty of opportunity, NoCo just has to draft a better proposal. It seems strange no-one has bit / returned, considering the excellent availability of workforce and higher education. Something is still wrong for companies to not JUMP at the bargain (empty) facilities in NoCo.

Very sad,,, the HIGH TECH version of Detroit! (down and OUT of business)

Old 12-08-2015, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the correction as it is Milken Institute.

livecontent

Old 12-09-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:

However, that report does not say there is no job growth in Pueblo but indeed indicates there is job growth. As I have said, people who move here are obsessed with Boulder and to a lesser extent Fort Collins. My reason for my post was to tell those who seek to move here that there are other cities and areas that should be considered--and as such Pueblo should also be looked at as a place to relocate. I consider Pueblo to be a very nice small city that has much potential in this state. In addition, Pueblo is many times listed as one of the best city for housing value.

We must also keep in mind that housing value is indicative of how desirable a place is perceived to be by prospective buyers and as such impacts the demand for the housing resource.

Some buyers can also move to an area and increase the price of real estate even though they have no need for a job; they do not care if there is job growth or any job. Boulder is considered very desirous can attracts those who are of the non-working upper economic class; they just relocate and pay up the real estate because they want to live there or choose Boulder as the place to retire.

Pueblo is not considered by those upper classes as so desirous and consequently would not be so impacted by a move without a job. It could be considered a retirement location but not so much to the upper economic class as Boulder.

Livecontent
My reason for posting was to give more data on job growth. Its been in the news lately about all the new jobs in Pueblo and the impact it has had on the city and economy. For example Pueblo is in a sellers market for houses, ag land and manufacturing buildings has doubled in price and there is currently 4,000 job openings. While Pueblo might not be one of the nations top performing cities, I am not arguing we are, the economy is better here now then it has been in a while.

Last edited by Josseppie; 12-09-2015 at 11:08 AM..

Old 12-09-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
My reason for posting was to give more data on job growth. Its been in the news all the new jobs in Pueblo and the impact it has had on the city and economy. For example Pueblo is in a sellers market for houses, ag land and manufacturing buildings has doubled in price and there is currently 4,000 job openings. While Pueblo might not be one of the nations top performing cities, I am not arguing we are, the economy is better here now then it has been in a while.
I agree that Pueblo economy is improving. As you know from my many post, I strongly support you and you great efforts to advocate and let others know the valuable amenities that Pueblo offers to Colorado. It was always annoying to me from the very first when I came here when I heard residents of Colorado deride Pueblo. When I first visited, I was amazed by what I saw which is a nice little city.

I think it is a big mistake to ignore other cities in Colorado and we need to encourage and stimulate the economy of other areas to broaden the appeal of Colorado over the whole state. Pueblo is extremely important as the core city of Southern Colorado.

Keep working for Pueblo!

Livecontent

Old 12-09-2015, 06:02 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,605,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
What is the wage scale and career / earnings growth potential for the Greeley jobs? (I will guess it is on the low side of a beer budget?) Tho some of the data might have included new 'energy jobs' (now in decline / GONE)

I can't afford to download the 58 page report on Pay-per-byte dialup (on page 3 after 10 minutes)

BTW:it is a Milken Institute Report (Milliken is a town near Greeley)

and to think / read about the 'Tech Advantage / 4-5x .multiplier' that Austin and Bay Area still enjoy (which NoCo HAD in the 1960's-1980 and let it go!). Just imagine if the 1970's employment of Kodak, HP, Storage Tech, IBM, Teledyne... and related support businesses had remained in NoCO! Greeley housed / educated / and employed MANY at that time. Excellent pay and benefits & professional / wage growth (not meat / produce packing / seasonal / temp / fickle energy sector jobs). Poof, those Fortune 50 companies were GONE / downsized dramatically in <10 yrs and today (30 yrs later) many ex-workers are still underemployed and many more uninsured!

Economic Development incentives / courtships, and HUGE tax perks have failed to fill the EMPTY factories of NoCo.

There is plenty of opportunity, NoCo just has to draft a better proposal. It seems strange no-one has bit / returned, considering the excellent availability of workforce and higher education. Something is still wrong for companies to not JUMP at the bargain (empty) facilities in NoCo.

Very sad,,, the HIGH TECH version of Detroit! (down and OUT of business)
Actually in my personal experience most jobs pay better in Greeley than Fort Collins, although still not Denver wages it is much more reasonable to live in Greeley at their wages then Fort Collins at their wages.

Greeley focused on the energy sector as that was the sector growing even during this recent downturn, and really who can blame them as Weld County and Greeley were both flush with cash last I heard, and even have redevelopment money going to certain city employees to buy in older areas of town and fi up their homes. While they do have some empty industrial space, it is not nearly as much as Fort Collins or Loveland are facing.

Loveland had a deal with Nasa and several feeder organizations that fell apart due to the costs of converting the available space to what was needed and other space available. They are trying but I think with the growth of Centera and retail they are not all that concerned about going out and bringing in new technology.

Now Fort Collins, they have brought their own problems on themselves. While they are willing to put out packages to attract companies, they also have a habit of killing deals over minimal reasons. The city seems to believe companies need them more than they need the companies, and they have lost several companies even after it was announced that those companies were coming to Fort Collins and a location was secured. If you really read up on some of the stuff it is stupid what they are doing. Off the top of my head they worked out a deal with Woodward Governor (a Fort Collins based company providing good jobs)to build a new building in Fort Collins. The deal was that Woodward could build their building and they would donate the land across the street from the new building for open space to Fort Collins, the problem was that a parking lot was never agreed to by the city. The city refused to allow them to pave their parking lot as it was too close to their open space (the space just donated). It got to the point that Woodward began looking for new locations out of the area, and several public articles accusing city people of some pretty bad stuff, before the city caved. I personally know of another building that the city allowed a building to be built but would not approve a parking lot again. Now what company wants to deal with that kind of crap. If you read up in the Coloradoan and other local business news papers Fort Collins is terrible to deal with.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I agree that Pueblo economy is improving. As you know from my many post, I strongly support you and you great efforts to advocate and let others know the valuable amenities that Pueblo offers to Colorado. It was always annoying to me from the very first when I came here when I heard residents of Colorado deride Pueblo. When I first visited, I was amazed by what I saw which is a nice little city.

I think it is a big mistake to ignore other cities in Colorado and we need to encourage and stimulate the economy of other areas to broaden the appeal of Colorado over the whole state. Pueblo is extremely important as the core city of Southern Colorado.

Keep working for Pueblo!

Livecontent
Agreed. Plus its nice to see the economy growing here again.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:29 PM

82 posts, read 64,636 times
Quote:
Agreed. Plus its nice to see the economy growing here again.
I absolutely agree that all of Colorado deserves to have success. It's cool to see the popularity of the state impact all of its regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or