U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2008, 11:30 PM

49 posts, read 133,920 times
Default 85 Octane Gas

Please explain why Denver is the only city I have visited that sells 85 Octane gas.

Is it that because of the altitude or some other reason that maybe it's OK to use 85 Octane in cars that have a minimum 87 Octane rating?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 11:37 PM

11,728 posts, read 23,683,519 times
Yes, its the altitude. Lower air pressure acts like a natural anti-knock agent. Running 85 in a car calling for 87 is fine as long as you stay at high elevation. I believe 85 octane is found in other mountain states too.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,878,659 times
Less air requires less fuel.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:01 AM

26,362 posts, read 53,431,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Less air requires less fuel.

Doesn't 85 octane mean less energy per volume of fuel? That is, aren't you using less fuel (you'd use just as much 89 or 91 by volume), and getting less energy per volume of fuel AND you are paying less for that volume?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 AM

Yes, the reason you can run lower octane is, in general terms answered in post one. The lower absolute pressure of the cylinder results in less heat when compressed and thus the ability to run with lower octane without predetonation.

The point I made, and not well is that another side effect of having less oxygen up here is that we burn less fuel. In theory your fuel consumption should be better at altitude, although you are also making less horsepower. This is of course assuming there is no manner of forced induction.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,817,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Yes, the reason you can run lower octane is, in general terms answered in post one. The lower absolute pressure of the cylinder results in less heat when compressed and thus the ability to run with lower octane without predetonation.

The point I made, and not well is that another side effect of having less oxygen up here is that we burn less fuel. In theory your fuel consumption should be better at altitude, although you are also making less horsepower. This is of course assuming there is no manner of forced induction.
Solve the US's dependence on fossil fuels! Elevate the entire US to 5000+ feet!

Ok.. i'll go back to the PA forums now lol.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:46 PM

357 posts, read 798,583 times
okay, i have a question. My honda crv (2005) is not happy in cold weather on 85. I bought it in CA and live in HR, just driving around here doing mommy stuff. I've started putting higher octane in it just on the really cold winter days. any explanation?

please help me, I'm a girl .

Old 02-04-2008, 03:00 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,431,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
okay, i have a question. My honda crv (2005) is not happy in cold weather on 85. I bought it in CA and live in HR, just driving around here doing mommy stuff. I've started putting higher octane in it just on the really cold winter days. any explanation?

Did the higher octane help? (You don't write that it did.)

Old 02-04-2008, 03:06 PM

5,748 posts, read 7,013,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post

Lisa, I have no idea why a lower-grade works in our Acura (Honda), just that it does. We have successfully switched from high-grade (91) to mid-grade (87) without any knocking or other problems. Maybe a trip to the Honda Service Department is in order?

Old 02-04-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
okay, i have a question. My honda crv (2005) is not happy in cold weather on 85.
Colder air is more dense. In theory under most circumstances as the temperature drops you are making more power; a consequence of running lower octane in your vehicle under these circumstances is that you can get some pre-detonation (the "bang" of the piston which should occur as it reaches it's highest point of compression occuring too early), often noticed as running rough.

There are a myriad of factors that determine octane requirements. These include:

humidity (absolute), temperature, air/fuel ratio, atmospheric pressure, timing (spark) head and cylinder coolant temperature and a few more I'm leaving out.

All modern vehicles have knock sensors and will generally pull timing to stop pre-detonation. This generally results in a very sluggish vehicle.

You might notice the car runs smoother once it warms up and the intake is heating the cold air enough so as to reduce density. The safest bet is to simply run a higher octane in cold weather situations.

Anyhow, keep in mind when you are driving around on hot summer days in Denver and the density altitude is approaching 9,000 feet that you are losing close to 30 percent of your horsepower at sea level.

hp loss = elevation x 0.03 x hp @ sea level / 1000 (rough equation)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado