U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:21 PM

2,659 posts, read 2,307,776 times

Advertisements

Rocky Mountain National Park license plate debuted

'The Rocky Mountain Conservancy said the plate will be available with a donation of $30 or more, beginning Jan. 1, 2016.

Once the organization receives driver's payments, a certificate will be issued and sent in the mail. Drivers will then have to present the certificate at a Department of Motor Vehicle office. The DMV will assess a $50 fee for a personalized plate (in addition to the $30 donation). The plate will then be mailed to the driver
.'

Personally, they're already too many custom license plates. Why do people have to pay extra for this when we're already paying taxes to keep the parks open? It's unnecessary.

Here's an idea, phase out the standard ugly white/green plates. Colorado should make this the standard license plate with modifications, replace 'Rocky Mountain National Park' with 'Centennial State', remove the stars and moon. Done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 11:22 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,615,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Here's an idea, phase out the standard ugly white/green plates. Colorado should make this the standard license plate with modifications, replace 'Rocky Mountain National Park' with 'Centennial State', remove the stars and moon. Done
Aww! I like the standard green and white plate. It's simple and timeless, in my opinion.

I will agree though that there are A TON of special plates and some of them are quite ugly.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:31 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,672,246 times
The standard green/white plates are not ugly at all. They actually are just about perfect and look good on just about any car.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,722,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Aww! I like the standard green and white plate. It's simple and timeless, in my opinion.
"Green and Whites" are REAL popular in WY!

Remember the era of sporting your Green and white "NATIVE" plate ?... thank goodness was short lived with the introduction of "NAIVE" green and white plate.

Having grown up on the border of RMNP I will not be wearing one,,, (New RMNP plate) My objective is to live to age 62 and get a "Golden Age Passport" (now just a trivial 'senior pass'). You would think 50+ yrs of annual Park passes would qualify for some kind of 'contribution', but I usually got my money's worth (except for yrs living overseas, someone else enjoyed my 'contribution').

Old 12-19-2015, 06:14 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,240,023 times
Every state has a seemingly never ending supply of customized plates. In Texas, you can get collegiate plates for schools in other states. A car in my neighborhood has Texas plates with a big FSU Seminole on it. If it didn't garner additional revenue, they wouldn't do it.

And I agree the CO green and white is one of the best standard state plates out there. At least it isn't an advertisement like many states have with the "statename.gov" designation.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:57 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,610,794 times
I think this new plate is quite handsome and I have no issues with supporting Rocky Mountain National Park. One of the great wonders of Colorado. No one has to buy a special plate if they don't want to. The green and white ones are fine but I enjoy seeing the different license plates on the road.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:07 PM

634 posts, read 891,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
The standard green/white plates are not ugly at all. They actually are just about perfect and look good on just about any car.
I've had my plain old green and white license plate since the 90s. I've passed it on to 3 vehicles.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:44 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,759,690 times
The special plate is pretty but little more than a spin-off from the regular, beautifully simple yet distinct (unmistakable) green and white plate, which I prefer.

Better still was the OLDER version, which had a raised relief of the mountains. I hung onto a pair of those from the late 80s as a memento.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:56 PM

2,019 posts, read 4,323,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Better still was the OLDER version, which had a raised relief of the mountains.
That's what's been on my vehicles since 1983. The renewal stickers are an inch thick!

Old 12-20-2015, 02:10 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Rocky Mountain National Park license plate debuted

'The Rocky Mountain Conservancy said the plate will be available with a donation of $30 or more, beginning Jan. 1, 2016.

Once the organization receives driver's payments, a certificate will be issued and sent in the mail. Drivers will then have to present the certificate at a Department of Motor Vehicle office. The DMV will assess a $50 fee for a personalized plate (in addition to the $30 donation). The plate will then be mailed to the driver
.'

Personally, they're already too many custom license plates. Why do people have to pay extra for this when we're already paying taxes to keep the parks open? It's unnecessary.

Hilarious that you would be upset about the existence of a free will donation to RMNP existing because "we already give the park enough money through taxes."

Nobody is forcing you to make a donation. Why would you care if someone wants to? The parks are severely underfunded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or