Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Colorado: family oriented, environmentally aware, good education, close to cultural centers

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:17 AM

8 posts, read 64,668 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I have a 2.5 year old Son and hope to have some more children. We have lived in many places and by far, our favorite was San Francisco. BUT, we have heard wonderful things about Colorado and now that we have a child, our perspective has changed slightly.

We are looking to move out of NY which is grossly overpriced and choking us financially. We are also so disenchanted with NY attitudes. When we lived in San Francisco, the people were so kind and courteous, and the overall quality of life was fulfilling. In NY, we can't help but feel we are in the rat race and never have time to enjoy each other, our home, or or Son. We are family oriented, environmentally aware, and overall kind to our friends and neighbors.

We need to move where my Son will have a good education and we can enjoy the outdoors. We'd like to be semi-close to some cultural centers, movies, restaurants, but still feel like when we are home...we are out of the 'city'.

Any suggestions?

PS - We are quite accustomed to the Seasons, so that isn't an issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 07:32 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,323 times
Wow, sounds like you would enjoy almost anywhere along the front range. If you are more specific, I'm sure we can be too. Right now, Colorado Springs up to Ft Collins seems to fit what you want! Personally, I live in Louisville near Boulder. A few years ago it was rated one of the top places in the entire country to raise a family. We have 2 kids, and we absolutely love it. We are 10 min from Boulder and about 30 min from Denver.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:42 AM

Micktooth -

Thank for such a quick response...let me know if any of the information below is helpful in guiding me and my family.

What is the city closest to Colorado Springs? I'd like to check it out and see what it has to offer for the "adult" Mom & Dad. We love all different types of ethnic food, and enjoy Shows and Museums. In general...just the occasional night out.

As for family fun, we hike, bike, or simply walk around an explore with our Son. That is another major concern for us...is it safe for our family and our children? We've been to places where you walk one block and the entire scene changes... We also need to know how the schools rank in this town (and local area). If you have a link, I'll check it out...

Lastly, we want to live where other ethnicities are embraced. I'm Cuban and my Husband is Italian. Not that I want to live in Spanish Harlem in NYC, just that people aren't racist as they can be in certain parts of the country.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:19 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubalibre7 View Post
Micktooth -

Thank for such a quick response...let me know if any of the information below is helpful in guiding me and my family.

What is the city closest to Colorado Springs? I'd like to check it out and see what it has to offer for the "adult" Mom & Dad. We love all different types of ethnic food, and enjoy Shows and Museums. In general...just the occasional night out.

As for family fun, we hike, bike, or simply walk around an explore with our Son. That is another major concern for us...is it safe for our family and our children? We've been to places where you walk one block and the entire scene changes... We also need to know how the schools rank in this town (and local area). If you have a link, I'll check it out...

Lastly, we want to live where other ethnicities are embraced. I'm Cuban and my Husband is Italian. Not that I want to live in Spanish Harlem in NYC, just that people aren't racist as they can be in certain parts of the country.
If I were you, I'd move to Boulder or as close as you can afford. Colorado Springs lacks the diversity you seek. Plus, Boulder is Progressive, Colorado Springs is Conservative.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:41 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,323 times
I would agree with Vision67 that Colorado Springs does tend to be more conservative than north Denver and Boulder. I would still recommend the area where I am, Louisville. Louisville and Boulder have a lot of what you are looking for. Good restaurants and shops. Very family friendly and very safe. I am originally from NY. I have also lived in MI,TX, and New Orleans. I must say that this is by far the best area that I have ever lived in. I don't think you will have a problem at all with your ethnicity. BTW, there are plenty of trails throughout the Denver areas to hike and bike. We are happy with the Boulder Valley School District. We have a 13yo son and an 11yo daughter in special ed. We researched the school districts a lot before we moved here last year. I am glad we chose Boulder Valley.Come on out and visit to see for yourself where the best place would be for you and your family. You will love it here!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:59 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Colorado Springs actually has a fair amount of diversity, especially with the military here. Our politics leans conservative, esp in Congressional district 5, but their are no vigilante squads taking people away in the night....

I urge everyone to be cautious with broad generalizations and stereotyping, as there are tons of postings in these forums that prove these to be unreliable as a basis for making 'where do I live' decisions.

All of the outdoor amenities you seek are here in COL SPGS, as well as most areas from the WY border to the NM border. That includes a good deal of cultural offerings, museums, foods, shows, etc. More is coming this summer when a major new Fine Arts Center opens. A few miles west of town we have Manitou Springs, part artist colony, tourist town, food mecca, and counter-culture enclave with something for everyone. COL SPGS is a 60-90 drive from Denver goodies. Getting around COL SPGS town is a snap (compared to NY, DC, CA, etc) and makes it a joy for us to be here. We have good school districts and are very family friendly. Adult fun in the way of night clubs can be found in small amounts, Denver is the mother lode for this sort form of night out. We have a minor league baseball team, that is fun and so very affordable to Yankee Stadium....I can be there in 20 minutes, park at the door and get a front row seat for only $9. Point is, COL SPGS is very livable, very affordable and is still small enough to get around with relative ease.

Denver has a LOT more of all that stuff. But is more expensive and a whole lot larger. It is a bit warmer in Denver during summer and their air is a bit dirtier than here, but we do not have the smog of Los Angeles.

Boulder is expensive and there are many postings here extolling both the virtues and alledged idiosyncrasies of that major college town. Some folks say it is liberal, some say it is all a facade, your mileage may vary.

Fort Collins is very nice, likable area and fairly affordable.

Pueblo and Canon City are to the south and noted for being affordable, drier, warmer in winter and close to outdoor fun. Has fewer jobs than the larger cities but is commutable to COL SPGS if need be.

These are the primary places on the well-populated Front Range. Denver is the major metropolis of that area of the nation known as the Intermountain West. You have to go many hundreds of miles to Salt Lake City, Phoenix or Albuquerque to find something comparable. Kansas City is over 600 miles east. Denver is the big dog in the region, lots of jobs, food, diversity, etc.

You need to come out here and see this, it's amazing.

s/Mike from back east

Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 PM

This is great advice. I'm certainly going to check into the aforementioned towns. I do think Colorado is where we will go, I just have to be sure of the town. It is great to hear such positive things and a bonus that a former East Cost-er is happy he is a transplant.

We plan on a visit this summer...If anything else comes to mind, please keep them coming. Thanks so much.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:15 PM

353 posts, read 503,937 times
No question the answer is Boulder. It MUST have the highest concentration of northeasterners and San Franciscans in the state. Many compare Boulder to Berkeley--with the obvious difference being Boulder's comparably small size and isolated nature. There are other differences--but Boulder is your place.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:27 PM

5 posts, read 15,403 times
Default I am moving back to NY from CO :-0

Hi, I am doing the opposite. I am from NY and miss my family. I am selling or renting my home in Fort Collins. I don't have kids but have heard the schools are great. I attached a link to pictures of my house. If you wanted to rent it for short term I could probably do that after August when my tenants leave. The house is in a beautiful residential area with lots of families and babies. Here is a link, I live below the Horstooth Reservoir and there is a farm behind my backyard, very private. Good Luck!

(I can't figure out how to do links so you may have to copy and paste):

http://homepage.mac.com/vjc4031/Devo...otoAlbum25.htm

Click on slide show to see the pictures real big, they look better that way.

Last edited by JenaC; 05-10-2007 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: I forgot something

Old 05-10-2007, 09:56 PM

169 posts, read 672,549 times
Default House? removed?

JenaC - your link gone? I am actually looking for a house in Ft Collins area (currently renting here - originally from Louisiana). Can you repost the link or is that against forum policy? Would like to see where the home is. Can you PM me possibly? Thanks.

Last edited by bproven; 05-10-2007 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: had from "LA" - changed to Louisiana to avoid confusion with the OTHER "LA" ;)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado