U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:45 PM

11 posts, read 71,943 times

Advertisements

I know there have been a lot of posts dedicated to weather, but I'm having trouble finding anything specifically on Colorado seasons (I'm looking particularly at the Boulder-Broomfield-Denver corridor).

In Michigan, the seasons are very well defined: cold, grey, snowing winter - cool, blossoming spring - hot, muggy summer - and cool, fall with the changing of the leaves.

How do the seasons compare in Colorado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 02:56 PM

129 posts, read 1,122,239 times
Colorado seasons are all over the board. First, what part of Colorado are you asking about? Front Range cities like Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, Ft. Collins, etc.? Western Slope towns like Grand Junction, Delta, Montrose? Towns at higher elevations in the mountains like Vail, Breckenridge, Fairplay, Leadville?

For the Front Range, summer is probably the most predictable season, with warm to hot days and cool nights. Some thunderstorms in the afternoons, especially late summer. Fall and Spring can range wildly from mild temperatures to hot to cold. Winters are generally cool, sometimes downright cold for a spell, largely dry, but we can also get a whopper of a snowstorm now and then.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:52 PM

226 posts, read 1,265,502 times
It is common to get the first snow fall in late September and the last snow in early May. And it is equally common to have a week of temperatures in the 70’s in January or February. You can expect a couple of weeks above 90 and a couple of days above 100 in the summer, but it cools off drastically after dark. Spring and fall are totally unpredictable.

This site as very good climate maps for most areas. http://www.city-data.com/city/Boulder-Colorado.html (at the bottom of the page)

Old 11-20-2006, 06:55 PM

30 posts, read 179,661 times
How is the fall foliage scene along the front range? We are wondering if the colors change very much in Fort Collins.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:31 PM

20 posts, read 95,341 times
Having come from the East Coast.....their idea of changing leaves are Aspen trees turning yellow. Does not compare with the foliage back East.....biggest change is everything (except the evergreens) turn brown for winter.

The seasons are kind of messed up - worst weather is during the Fall and Spring. Not sure why - but it's the way it is on the front range. You can get a big snowfall in late Sept and October...then have it go into the 70's. Go figure.

One thing is constant - the SUN. Something you won't see in the winter back East.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:09 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,592,209 times
First of all, I seen a number of days of sunshine during the "snowy months" of winter when I lived on our farm in northeastern Indiana. We would "awe" at the sight of the sun shining on freshly fallen snow, making the snow twinkle.

We have lived both in Englewood, and now in Parker, for a total of 4 1/2 years. Believe us, we know how the weather is here, however during the winter, in Parker, we do get more snow than downtown Denver can get.
Summer has a lot of very nice, sunny and warm days. At times hot days with temps in the mid-upper 90's. Some of the afternoons (around 3PM) can get somewhat nasty when some severe thunderstorms move in. Lightning, hail and downpours can happen. And, at times, we can get those
t-storms in the middle of the night. We have a fairly short Fall season, then in October, get the snowblower/snow shovel out. Nov./Dec., not much snow (but there are times that can change). The days can be very nice, almost Spring/Summer like, but don't let that nice weather fool you, we are still in our winter months here!! Then, January thru May, can get some inches of snow, pretty cold temps. However, we did have our boat out on a local lake on April 22 last year. The temp was 67 degrees and that was nice.....water was still cold though.
Since living here, we have seen some fairly big thunderstorms and snowstorms. Our last snowstorm dropped a foot of snow on our lawn here in Parker.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:13 PM

8 posts, read 61,034 times
Now I'm confused...

If the 1st snow fall is September and the real snow hits between Jan - May...are you saying that Winter is 8 months long?

I'm from the East coast and have all 4 seasons, but that seems really long.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:22 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,199,644 times
Winter is only about 5-6 months long.

What Colorado experiences is the chance for snowfall in spring and fall months. It's just as possible to have a major blizzard dump in early October and then have nominal snow in November, followed by a very dry and warm December ... daytime temps might even reach into the 60-70 range. Or, it could start snowing in October and continue until January. Virtually every scenario you can image is possible ... Generally, Colorado snow has much less moisture content than the lower elevations in the East.

Typically, however, Colorado snowstorms move through in a few day cycle and then the sun comes out with clear days. Even when the temps are cold, the sun is intense and will still melt a lot of the snow.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:23 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,741,437 times
Winter is definitely not 8 months long -- everything starts to green up around the first week of March. However, in Colorado snow is not an event limited only to winter, but can occur anytime during the year in the mountains including summer, and on the plains can occur with regularity in the spring and fall. In downtown Denver, it appears (according to records) that this year the last event of accumulating snow we had was April 9th (0.6"), but I know that the suburbs have had snow since then, and we could potentially get more snow later.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:40 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,856,289 times
Tfox and Sunsprit's descriptions are right on.
It is not one long drab 8 or 9 month winter. Far from it.
However, it would sometimes get to me when my tulips or daffodils were buried with snow, or huge pine trees or blooming crabapples toppled over from a late spring storm. The <snap crackle pop> of a late spring snow can really bring a person down. It is not unheard of for power lines to snap.
However, as described, the sun soon returns and everyone cleans up the trees, branches and frozen-smushed flowers (if you're smart, you pick them first, before the storm arrives).
Time for me to chime in with my chart.
Source: National Weather Service
The latest *freeze* for the past 8 years was in May.
Last measurable snow:
May 10, 2006
May 2, 2005
April 30, 2004
May 10, 2003
May 24, 2002
April 21, 2001
April 16, 2000
April 23, 1999
The first measurable *snow* of this past season was October 18, 2006.
First measurable snow the past 8 years:
October 18, 2006
October 10, 2005
November 1, 2004
November 5, 2003
October 24, 2002
October 5, 2001
September 23, 2000
September 28, 1999
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or