Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 07:55 PM

199 posts, read 254,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Thank you for the kind words.
Thank you so much for such detailed advice. We need it! I've been doing quite a bit of "google driving" around Denver and CoS today !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
Shellybug, you may want to ask your questions about CoS in this other CD thread.

What neighborhoods to focus on may revolve around what kind of house you like. It sounds like you like older houses, like in the ONE. In that case you have a lot of choices that are closer to downtown. You could go to ppar.com and do a search of what's available in your expected price range. (This site doesn't have as good an interface as, say, Trulia, but its data is the most up to date.)
Thank you, Jalhop! I am very interested in the areas close to downtown CoS. I've been looking a lot at Denver as well. I really like Cheesman Park area, but we would definitely be stuck in a 600 sq. ft. 1/1. We don't mind that at all, but I am trying to lure my college-aged daughter to live with us for a bit after her spring graduation and I'm not so sure I can talk her into crashing on a couch in the living room. Decisions! Decisions!

The link you sent is very helpful. Thank you, again!

Old 12-28-2015, 09:01 PM

8,424 posts, read 8,634,864 times
It is a pretty rare healthy person (to my knowledge) that has major trouble with 5,000 ft altitude. About 9 or 12k (and on up) it gets somewhat more common and potentially severe. Unless you gave known respiratory issues or other major health risks, you probably won't have much reaction doing normal activity and staying hydrated. You might notice it some on early hikes if you move but bodies usually adjust pretty fast (within weeks).

If you are trying to gauge "vibe" that is unlikely to be really understood by sight alone. As time permits some eavesdropping at restaurants, stores, libraries, etc. could give a bit more flavor.

I find I can pick up on vibe some remotely by reading local papers (a few weeks / months worth of online articles) and the comments sections, looking at the calendar and checking the list of community organizations for what is listed and not. While you are there you might try to catch a bit of local tv news. These days some tv stations have video clip archives just like papers. You can vibe hunt there or in self produced videos on YouTube, blogs, etc.

Fort Collins has a fine growing employment base compared to most cities. It is a much smaller market than Denver and CoS and it is a very competitive one. The ratio of applicants to jobs might be worse or a lot worse in FC in certain popular fields but that challenge is different than a market that has no jobs opening.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-28-2015 at 09:30 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 11:01 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,198,746 times
You are grossly over estimating how much area you can scout in two days, especially mid January.

Use Zillow and other online sources to narrow your search before you arrive to a side of CS or a 20 sq mile area of Denver

Old 12-28-2015, 11:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,612 posts, read 57,608,601 times
I would skip Denver, and look to Ft Collins and CoS (better quality of life) and each can be digested in your short time frame. Don't burn daylight driving between them, do that some evening. Your time is limited. arrange lodging near most likely places and most enjoyable places. (Ft Collins and CoS) Remember to have some fun too.. looking for apartments is no fun. Job will dictate specific area to relocate.

Denver is HUGE and you could easily spend a week there alone. (and much of it is very similar)
If jobs are in Denver you will find what you need (in a few days), but it is probable you will be escaping for recreation and fun / enjoyment as frequently as possible (along with a million others).

Ft C job market should be competitive for your skill sets. It is a very tough job market for high tech and entry / post college level.

I would target these areas cuz they are nice, less crowded / sprawl, and each are closer to quality escapes (WY and Southern CO)

Old 12-28-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
It is a pretty rare healthy person (to my knowledge) that has major trouble with 5,000 ft altitude. About 9 or 12k (and on up) it gets somewhat more common and potentially severe. Unless you gave known respiratory issues or other major health risks, you probably won't have much reaction doing normal activity and staying hydrated. You might notice it some on early hikes if you move but bodies usually adjust pretty fast (within weeks).

If you are trying to gauge "vibe" that is unlikely to be really understood by sight alone. As time permits some eavesdropping at restaurants, stores, libraries, etc. could give a bit more flavor.

I find I can pick up on vibe some remotely by reading local papers (a few weeks / months worth of online articles) and the comments sections, looking at the calendar and checking the list of community organizations for what is listed and not. While you are there you might try to catch a bit of local tv news. These days some tv stations have video clip archives just like papers. You can vibe hunt there or in self produced videos on YouTube, blogs, etc.

Fort Collins has a fine growing employment base compared to most cities. It is a much smaller market than Denver and CoS and it is a very competitive one. The ratio of applicants to jobs might be worse or a lot worse in FC in certain popular fields but that challenge is different than a market that has no jobs opening.
Great advice, NW Crow. I have been "driving around" via YouTube videos this evening trying to get a visual idea of what I might like. Is it me or or all the rentals in Colorado dated? Maybe I am spoiled by all of the new construction in my area here in Florida. I really like older homes, but I like updated older homes. I need to pursue a more lucrative career for my taste, I suppose !

Based on your suggestion, I am going to be scooping up newspapers where I can when I visit. I hadn't considered this strategy!

Old 12-28-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
You are grossly over estimating how much area you can scout in two days, especially mid January.

Use Zillow and other online sources to narrow your search before you arrive to a side of CS or a 20 sq mile area of Denver
I know you are correct, Robert5. I think I am in denial! I wish I had more time, but we are limited this time around. Hopefully, some of the areas we see will strike us as worth pursuing and we can narrow even further on a subsequent visit. This moving stuff is difficult! On another note, I am glad we will possibly see some of the inclement weather. It is easy to read about it, but experiencing the reality of it is a different story. We are Floridians, so clearly the weather variance is huge. We are hoping the experience will be more of "Oh, this isn't so bad" versus "No way! Let us back on the plane!"

Old 12-28-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I would skip Denver, and look to Ft Collins and CoS (better quality of life) and each can be digested in your short time frame. Don't burn daylight driving between them, do that some evening. Your time is limited. arrange lodging near most likely places and most enjoyable places. (Ft Collins and CoS) Remember to have some fun too.. looking for apartments is no fun. Job will dictate specific area to relocate.

Denver is HUGE and you could easily spend a week there alone. (and much of it is very similar)
If jobs are in Denver you will find what you need (in a few days), but it is probable you will be escaping for recreation and fun / enjoyment as frequently as possible (along with a million others).

Ft C job market should be competitive for your skill sets. It is a very tough job market for high tech and entry / post college level.

I would target these areas cuz they are nice, less crowded / sprawl, and each are closer to quality escapes (WY and Southern CO)
I like what I see of the layout of Denver, but I don't like the rental prices. Yikes! They are high! The teacher pay is higher and I could work in a less desirable school, so it would likely be easier to get a teaching job in Denver; but, I don't know if the salary increase is on par with the COL increase in Denver.

I feel like I already have a dysfunctional relationship with CoS. I'll read great things about it, "Great views, good community, access to hiking" and then I'll read horrible things, "Crystal Meth mecca, dead-end town, everything closes at 10pm."

I'm hoping this trip really clears up some of that yo-yoing for me. In general, I am having trouble finding a more modern rental. We just want something small that will allow our pets; but, we would like it to be updated and not have 70s carpet and wood-paneled walls. Gosh, I hope that doesn't sound pretentious. Do you have any suggestions on neighborhoods in either area and/or decent apartment complexes?

Additionally, do you prefer Fort Collins or CoS. I gather you don't care for Denver?

Thank you SO much!!!

Old 12-29-2015, 02:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,612 posts, read 57,608,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybug View Post
I like what I see of the layout of Denver, but I don't like the rental prices. Yikes! They are high! The teacher pay is higher and I could work in a less desirable school, so it would likely be easier to get a teaching job in Denver; but, I don't know if the salary increase is on par with the COL increase in Denver.
Additionally, do you prefer Fort Collins or CoS. I gather you don't care for Denver?

Thank you SO much!!!
50+ yrs of Colorado living and visiting I have not warmed up to Denver (tho I had to go there everyday to fetch my load for delivery to neighboring states). I like the museums and parks (good for a couple visits / yr (weekend ONLY to avoid congestion / pollution)) There is a HUGE brown cloud surrounding Denver... just drive to Ft Morgan and look back!

I lived near FC for 30 yrs, I don't do traffic, so I avoided FC city for driving, but did a lot of biking there.
FC is 'trendy' and that comes at a price. (housing and a few snobs)

I preferred Loveland and Berthoud. Did ~4 yrs of Greeley too (school and employment).
I spent a lot of 'free-dom' time in WY and SD. (recreating, living, and working)

CoS has a bit more size / diversity of economy / opportunities (and associated barriers). I would prefer CoS, as a change and to explore more of Southern CO and Northern NM. One has to be willing to overlook / and not listen to all the CoS Hype... There are a LOT of transplants / military immigrants there, so let them spout. When they settle down, they will find CoS is not so bad, (in spite of themselves).

There are issues with each, but all have enough good to make it worthwhile to experience for awhile. I would not do Denver, cuz I don't need more driving / traffic / crowds / sprawl or more brown & flat terrain.

If I were a teacher... I definitely would not even consider Denver. I would transition to DoD teaching, it is a GREAT gig! (especially international assignments). BTW... I have 4 college friends who have taught in Denver area for 30+ yrs, they have survived and done very well.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:46 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,464,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
50+ yrs of Colorado living and visiting I have not warmed up to Denver (tho I had to go there everyday to fetch my load for delivery to neighboring states). I like the museums and parks (good for a couple visits / yr (weekend ONLY to avoid congestion / pollution)) There is a HUGE brown cloud surrounding Denver... just drive to Ft Morgan and look back!

I lived near FC for 30 yrs, I don't do traffic, so I avoided FC city for driving, but did a lot of biking there.
FC is 'trendy' and that comes at a price. (housing and a few snobs)

I preferred Loveland and Berthoud. Did ~4 yrs of Greeley too (school and employment).
I spent a lot of 'free-dom' time in WY and SD. (recreating, living, and working)

CoS has a bit more size / diversity of economy / opportunities (and associated barriers). I would prefer CoS, as a change and to explore more of Southern CO and Northern NM. One has to be willing to overlook / and not listen to all the CoS Hype... There are a LOT of transplants / military immigrants there, so let them spout. When they settle down, they will find CoS is not so bad, (in spite of themselves).

There are issues with each, but all have enough good to make it worthwhile to experience for awhile. I would not do Denver, cuz I don't need more driving / traffic / crowds / sprawl or more brown & flat terrain.

If I were a teacher... I definitely would not even consider Denver. I would transition to DoD teaching, it is a GREAT gig! (especially international assignments). BTW... I have 4 college friends who have taught in Denver area for 30+ yrs, they have survived and done very well.
Just going to throw this out there because perspective matters.....

I think StealthRabbit's advice is good for certain people, but his perspective is not that of a liberal vegan atheist.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-29-2015 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado