Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 02:38 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I want to know why do some people who live in Colorado deny that the legalization of marijuana is causing the population boom?
Quote:
However, denying marijuana as part of the population boom is ridiculous.
Because saying that pot is causing the boom is quite a bit different than saying pot is part of the boom. Which do you believe it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 02:40 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
You can still deny the links I posted as evidence your own sake. Legalization is good for increased economic activity. However, denying marijuana as part of the population boom is ridiculous.

How legal marijuana biz is boosting Denver's housing market - Jun. 4, 2015

https://mjbizdaily.com/colorados-can...-housing-boom/

https://www.cashinbis.com/cannabis-c...idential-boom/

The Marijuana Housing Boom in Denver | The Smoking Bud

With people moving here, there are bound to be more homeless people.

Legal marijuana drawing homeless to Colorado - CBS News

https://www.mainstreet.com/article/i...ulation/page/2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ver-who-knows/
Did you read the top 4 links you posted as "evidence"? The reason I ask is that they all cite the same CNN article as their source. When I read the CNN article, there is no data at all, just a quote from a Realtor.

One other thing I would like to point out is that in your initial post you say that "marijuana is causing our population boom". In this reply you state that it is "part of" the boom. Which is it? We had roughly 60,000 people move here from out of state in 2015. What percent of those do you think came for the pot and how have you arrived at this figure? Quantifying something makes you accountable.

Let's break this down. Your claim in the title of this thread is that marijuana is responsible for the population boom in Colorado. These graphs show that we have had a fairly linear growth rate since 1990. If indeed pot was causing a boom as you claim, the graph would show a huge spike when pot was legalized.

I'm including this one to show you that the state has been growing like this since 2000:

Another interesting find here is that in 2009, Colorado was the 7th fastest growing state in the country. this article from September of this year (http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...opulation.html) shows that Colorado is again, the 7th fastest growing state in the nation.

I do not dispute that some people are moving here for pot, but to claim that it is the cause of a population boom here is just ignoring history.

For a completely unscientific way to prove this to yourself, simply look at the moving to Denver threads. We occasionally get a yahoo asking about legal pot here, but the VAST majority of the thread starters are not coming here because of legal pot. They are moving here because they have a job offer or want to enjoy the mountains.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 12-28-2015 at 03:30 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 03:00 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Because saying that pot is causing the boom is quite a bit different than saying pot is part of the boom. Which do you believe it is?
It is PART of the population increase, not the main culprit. Colorado experienced the boom in 1990s decade.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
It is PART of the population increase, not the main culprit. Colorado experienced the boom in 1990s decade.

That's not at all what you said in the title or first post of this thread.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:07 PM

Also, you should read that Washington Post link you posted. It proves my point.

Next time instead of typing something in to google and copy and pasting links, read the actual articles. You might learn something.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
That's not at all what you said in the title or first post of this thread.
You're putting words in my mouth dude.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
You're putting words in my mouth dude.
Right.

Quote:
Why do people deny marijuana is causing the population boom?
Quote:
I want to know why do some people who live in Colorado deny that the legalization of marijuana is causing the population boom?

Old 12-28-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Right.
I am right. Population boom and 'part' of a boom are related.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:39 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,401 times
Quote:
I am right. Population boom and 'part' of a boom are related.
That's logically inconsistent. You can't say that "the legalization of marijuana is causing the population boom" is equal to "the legalization of marijuana is contributing to the population boom". The first statement implies that marijuana is the primary cause, the second implies that there are a whole host of causes, and marijuana is not the primary one. They're two entirely separate premises that are not equal.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:55 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
It is having a big impact on the Pueblo economy. Pueblo is now a sellers market for houses, ag land and manufacturing buildings have doubled in price since 2014, and we are now the 3rd fastest growing economy in the state. While it's not all due to weed and hemp it is a big part of it. It will be interesting to see how much Pueblo has grown in 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: