U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 05:15 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,481,602 times

Advertisements

Consider this - the types of jobs that people are moving to Colorado for (tech, for example) are the kinds of jobs that attract people who don't really buy into the hoopla about pot being a dangerous drug (or at least not as dangerous as something like alcohol, which is legal and kills tons of people every year). You know, jobs that require forward-looking and logical minds. It's a nice bonus in their minds and ups the appeal of Colorado-based companies.

Of course there's a few people moving here for the pot. But a LOT of people who move here for pot are moving here for the medical aspect. My former roommate has two major degenerative diseases that will eventually put him in a wheelchair and basically guarantee him a miserable death. The side effects of the drugs he must take for them are pretty bad to boot. Medical marijuana helps him to function and hold down a job. I meet people with stories like his all the time. I have yet to run into anyone who moved here just for recreational pot use. My current roommate has a chromosomal birth defect that leaves her in constant physical pain due to a variety of joint issues - if marijuana means she gets to take a few less vicodin during the course of the day, I'd say that's a good thing.

I came here before recreational pot was legal, but after medical pot became legal. (And I didn't know it at the time - only found out after I'd been here for a week! LOL) Personally, I was staggered by the number of homeless people in the Denver area THEN, and I haven't noticed any sort of uptick.

As more people move here though, it's a no-brainer that the number of homeless will increase. There's just more people in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 07:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,527,740 times
My poll in the Denver forum 5 months ago asking those who moved to Denver in the previous year if legal marijuana was a factor:
Poll for those that have moved here since Jan. 2014

My opinion is that the main factor contributing to people moving to Colorado is that Colorado has a relatively low homicide rate (the best metric for evaluating) but is still urbanized and modern (and less expensive than States with comparable homicide rates and modern urbanization, e.g. CT, MA, HI, WA).

Old 12-28-2015, 07:56 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
My poll in the Denver forum 5 months ago asking those who moved to Denver in the previous year if legal marijuana was a factor:
Poll for those that have moved here since Jan. 2014

My opinion is that the main factor contributing to people moving to Colorado is that Colorado has a relatively low homicide rate (the best metric for evaluating) but is still urbanized and modern (and less expensive than States with comparable homicide rates and modern urbanization, e.g. CT, MA, HI, WA).
Robert's poll in the Denver forum is now re-opened for any newcomers who wish to state their case.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:25 PM

1,246 posts, read 918,519 times
Considering that the CO Supreme Court ruled that an employer has the right to fire you for off duty use tells me that ppl that move here for pot aren't contributing much. And if that is your motive, we'll see how long you last with constant COL increases.

The major employers in the front range would be from Oil and Gas, Defense Contracting, Medical, Govt, all of which require drug testing.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28...ulings-medical

Old 12-28-2015, 10:14 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,617,316 times
I am sure it is a minor factor, but to say that it is causing it is a very large stretch. I have met dozens of people that have moved here, and only had 1 tell me that the driving factor was weed. For the most part they came here because they have this dream that you see in the tourism brochures, they come because they got a good job offer, or family was here, but very few are here for weed.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:44 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,617,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
It is having a big impact on the Pueblo economy. Pueblo is now a sellers market for houses, ag land and manufacturing buildings have doubled in price since 2014, and we are now the 3rd fastest growing economy in the state. While it's not all due to weed and hemp it is a big part of it. It will be interesting to see how much Pueblo has grown in 2015.
I personally know several people from the Denver metro area that have invested in the Marijuana grows and/or moved down to Pueblo for it. Pueblo is much easier to do business in than many of the others areas of the state where there is actually room for the growing operations.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:47 PM

305 posts, read 180,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Considering that the CO Supreme Court ruled that an employer has the right to fire you for off duty use tells me that ppl that move here for pot aren't contributing much. And if that is your motive, we'll see how long you last with constant COL increases.

The major employers in the front range would be from Oil and Gas, Defense Contracting, Medical, Govt, all of which require drug testing.

Colorado Supreme Court: Employers can fire for off-duty pot use - The Denver Post
I've been a regular cannabis user since I was in my mid twenties...have had 4 jobs in that time, each new job was a step above the previous, all required background and drug screening. Passed every single one...today I'm at my dream job.

If you use pot and cannot pass a simple pre- employment drug screen, you really shouldn't be using pot, it's that simple.

The notion that marijuana smokers don't contribute to society is total BS. Stop drinking the refer madness cool aid.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:47 PM

1,246 posts, read 918,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheMatrix View Post
I've been a regular cannabis user since I was in my mid twenties...have had 4 jobs in that time, each new job was a step above the previous, all required background and drug screening. Passed every single one...today I'm at my dream job.

If you use pot and cannot pass a simple pre- employment drug screen, you really shouldn't be using pot, it's that simple.

The notion that marijuana smokers don't contribute to society is total BS. Stop drinking the refer madness cool aid.
Again, your employer has the right to fire you. Many industries in the state require random testing as well.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:09 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,792,920 times
This again?

Old 12-29-2015, 11:11 PM

15,474 posts, read 17,630,395 times
The state can't boom unless the economy (job growth) can support it. So maybe people with a job offer in Colorado and another state might give the Colorado job the edge because of legal marijuana, but people who just show up on Colorado's doorstep with no job because of legal MJ are not, generally, going to become permanent residents if they have no way to support themselves. The number of people who are willing to be a homeless street dweller because of legal mj is a tiny fraction of a percent regardless of how many bums hit you up on this street or that. And many of those folks are young people slumming a few years before they buckle down and get a job or go to school.

If there is not a growing economy, all the legal marijuana in the world is not going to make a big difference in the population growth over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or