U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:30 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,647,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I could be wrong, but it sounds like OP is just doing some academic research. Not actually intending to move here and buy a farm.
...that and lacks a solid command of the English language...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 09:42 PM

4,859 posts, read 9,593,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
...that and lacks a solid command of the English language...
Well, his location does show Russia, so maybe that's why. But after his rude response to my question, I'm not going to try to help him out any further.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:01 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,871,459 times
Nine of the the top 10 counties in agricultural revenue are in California. The lone non-California county is Weld County, Colorado (Greeley).

Colorado has an important agricultural tradition and will continue to have it for the foreseeable future.

Weld County and the northeastern part of of the state are important for its beef, dairy, and market vegetables.

The Arkansas River Valley in the southeast is known for its chile peppers, melons, cantaloupes and more.

The Western Slope is home to orchards and vineyards with some areas dedicated to the growing of sweet corn.

The San Luis Valley is known for its potatoes.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:10 AM

6,893 posts, read 6,470,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Well, his location does show Russia, so maybe that's why. But after his rude response to my question, I'm not going to try to help him out any further.
I didn't see intent to be rude. I think it was a language thing.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:35 AM

606 posts, read 576,043 times
The best peaches I have ever had come from Palisade. If I am lucky enough to be passing through in season, I stop and buy a flat or two to take home. I know they grow other fruits there, I just like the peaches the best.

I still have some in the freezer, I think I will make cobbler this weekend!

Old 01-06-2016, 03:41 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,871,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
The best peaches I have ever had come from Palisade. If I am lucky enough to be passing through in season, I stop and buy a flat or two to take home. I know they grow other fruits there, I just like the peaches the best.

I still have some in the freezer, I think I will make cobbler this weekend!
Peachers are just as good every else, except that in order to make it up here without spoiling, peaches from other places need to be picked before they fully ripen. That affects taste. When the peaches are grown nearby, they can ripen on the tree, get picked and e sold in the store in a matter of a couple of days. They are much sweeter and juicier if they are allowed to ripen on the tree.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:32 AM

4,228 posts, read 7,230,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikle_1980 View Post
Dreaming of Hawaii, why not? Of course, I know about climatic conditionals of Colorado. But I am fascinated by fine nature of this state and it's interesting to know about farming and people who do it.

Gunluvver2, you are right. I've never been in Colorodo, also as in the USA(( What's type of farming does dominate in Colorodo? First of all I mean cheese making and dairy farming.

Sorry for my possible mistakes in English))
Mikle,
I don't know exact figures about Dairy farming in Colorado but I would guess that Colorado produces MOST of its own milk. Transportation costs almost force milk to be produced fairly close to he destination. However I know of a huge Dairy operation near Bird City, Kansas that probably ships a large percentage of their product to Colorado. But Bird City is less than two hundred miles from the Denver area.

Cheese making in Colorado is probably a niche market varying from area to area with different ethnic makeup. For example: Cheeses around the World are made from milk from many different animals. I have eaten cheeses made from Cow's milk, goat milk, and even horses milk. Again I am just guessing but I would think that cheeses made from Cow's milk would be predominant in the Colorado market because of the readily availability of cow's milk. Other types of Milk (goats etc) may not be available in large quantities. I am sure that Colorado State University in Fort Collins would be a good source for information about any type of Agriculture in Colorado.

Sorry I couldn't help with more information but Dry Land Wheat production is the type of Agriculture I am most familiar with.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:07 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,094,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

Cheese making in Colorado is probably a niche market varying from area to area with different ethnic makeup.
LOL ... "niche market", indeed ...

Leprino's Greeley Colorado plant, opened in 2011, was a NEW $270,000,000 facility dedicated to making mozzarella cheese. It employs over 500 people.

At the time of it's opening, the Greeley area had over 50,000 dairy cows which was an oversupply for the fresh milk market of the region. Leprino asked for more dairies to open up in the area because those 50,000 dairy cows weren't enough for their needs. To further assist the expansion of the dairy business in the area, Weld County government streamlined the zoning and approval process by creating a new zoning A-1 specifying new expanded limits of cows/acre and requiring only one zoning review.

The Greeley cheese plant supplemented the Fort Morgan Leprino cheese plant, which employed around 300 workers in their fully automated plant. They do have other plants in the USA, but the thread here is about Colorado and Leprino is headquartered here and is a significant Colorado employer and production company.

Leprino Cheese is the largest mozzarella cheese producer in the world, and uses around 7% of the USA's cow milk production every day. Hardly the business size of an ethnic "niche" market business as you assert.

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-07-2016 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 04:31 PM

4,228 posts, read 7,230,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
LOL ... "niche market", indeed ...

Leprino's Greeley Colorado plant, opened in 2011, was a NEW $270,000,000 facility dedicated to making mozzarella cheese. It employs over 500 people.

At the time of it's opening, the Greeley area had over 50,000 dairy cows which was an oversupply for the fresh milk market of the region. Leprino asked for more dairies to open up in the area because those 50,000 dairy cows weren't enough for their needs. To further assist the expansion of the dairy business in the area, Weld County government streamlined the zoning and approval process by creating a new zoning A-1 specifying new expanded limits of cows/acre and requiring only one zoning review.

The Greeley cheese plant supplemented the Fort Morgan Leprino cheese plant, which employed around 300 workers in their fully automated plant. They do have other plants in the USA, but the thread here is about Colorado and Leprino is headquartered here and is a significant Colorado employer and production company.

Leprino Cheese is the largest mozzarella cheese producer in the world, and uses around 7% of the USA's cow milk production every day. Hardly the business size of an ethnic "niche" market business as you assert.
Yes Sunspirit Mozzarella Cheese is obviously not a "niche" market in Colorado. But what kind of production figures do you see for other cheeses? In visits to East Coast Deli's i have seen their shelves stocked with literally hundreds of different cheeses. Most of them would qualify as a "niche" market.

Thanks for enlightening me though because I had no idea that either Greeley or Fort Morgan had that large of production facilities. One thing for sure: I bet a cheese plant smells a helluva lot better than a Sugar Beet Processing plant.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:19 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,094,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Yes Sunspirit Mozzarella Cheese is obviously not a "niche" market in Colorado. But what kind of production figures do you see for other cheeses? In visits to East Coast Deli's i have seen their shelves stocked with literally hundreds of different cheeses. Most of them would qualify as a "niche" market.
Gunluvver2 ... you really ought to get out a bit more in your regional food production community ...

For example, the Cheese Importers outlet in Longmont has been around for years. Used to be located in the flood zone there, and had a small retail storefront backed up by a substantial cold warehouse operation. You could buy a few items at the front counter, but the real treat was to go into the warehouse and see the big chunks/wheels/rounds of cheese. You'd sample, select, they'd cut what you wanted and wrap it, and have wonderful cheeses from local producers (of the niche variety) as well as domestic and imported cheeses to select from. No Kraft or other large industrial cheese suppliers there. After the flood of a few years ago, they relocated to the old train depot buildings in Longmont. Now most of their selection is out in grocer's cold display cases for retail sale, but you can still order the larger (commercial sized) chunks or whole wheels as needed. They stock a number of cheeses which I like which are otherwise not readily available in the region ... even from places like The Welsh Rabbit in Fort Collins, a well-known cheesemonger's shop (and unfortunately, somewhat pricey compared to the Longmont cheese outlet so it's a longer drive for me to do a cheese run).

But Longmont has another treasure: Haystack Mountain dairy. Started years ago by a local goat dairy, it has grown into a much larger operation. After the original founder retired and sold his goat operation, the Haystack creamery put a partnership together with the Canon City prison facility. The prison operates a goat dairy of some size, supplying the Haystack Mountain creamery facility in Longmont.

In early 2015, Haystack announced an expansion of their operations due to demand for their products. Forecast to hire 5 more people and gear up to an annual production of 300,000 lbs., a not insignificant output ... far beyond a small "niche" producer level of artisanal cheese.

They were written up in the Longmont Times-Call:

"Haystack has won a variety of major cheese awards over the years. At the 2010 World Cheese Awards it took home a Bronze Medal for Camembert, and that same year the American Cheese Society awarded the dairy third place for Queso de Mano and third place for Red Cloud. In 2013, the American Cheese Society gave Queso de Mano its first place award."

As you asserted, there are numerous "niche" cheese producers throughout Colorado. A very short list would include folks such as Jumping Good, Buena Vista; Avalanche Dairy, Basalt; Longview, Windsor; James Ranch, Paonia; and many others ... some doing goat, some cow, and some doing sheep milk artisan cheeses in smaller quantities.
For the most part, I've found their products to be equal to or (in some cases) preferable to some highly touted imported cheeses from around the world. But make no mistake here, the Colorado cheese business and the supporting dairy operations are no trivial matter in the Colorado food industry. Their production has gone far beyond the level of a small local producer selling at a Farmer's Market.

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-07-2016 at 06:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado